Traverse Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm debating methods to carry bicycles on the roof of my Traverse. I used Yakima rail riders to attach crossbars and Yakima Copperhead bike trays on my Tahoe, but I'm not sure how to approach it with my Traverse. I'm half tempted to just bypass the factory rack altogether and go Yakima all the way with tower mounts, crossbars, and my Copperhead trays.

Anybody have any experience here?

·
Registered
11,568 Posts
hmmm, nope.
I carry my bikes on the hitch mounted rack.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've thought about a hitch mount given the height of the Traverse. If I put them up top, I would likely have to carry a small stool or step ladder to stand on to put them up and get them down, particularly if I carry more than two bikes.

I've also considered an inside-the-box solution where I would remove the saddle and seat post (and obviously the front wheel) and fork mount them to a board on the floor of the cargo area. That solution is rather limiting as it would not allow more than two occupants and take up valuable space for luggage and gear. It also brings the bikes and their associated griminess inside the vehicle. Still, it might work for short jaunts, but the hitch mount would do that as well.

Thanks.

·
Registered
11,568 Posts
If I were going to carry the bikes long distance--- then roof.
but short trips- hitch.

I cant see myself- trying to put my Mountain bikes on the roof- after some long bike ride.

Would this be- just the bikes to go riding-- or some big camping trip?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 4-bike Thule trailer hitch system that I love.

Here's the good and the bad about that. The rack I have is a 1 1/4" receiver from my old vehicle (Outback). So to get this to work, I bought a converter piece. I don't like having the bikes further away from the center of the vehicle as every pot hole, every bounce of the suspension is exaggerated with the 1' extension - but, with that extension, I am able to keep the bikes on the rack and still open the hatch. Sweet extra benefit.

I've taken my bikes on the trailer hitch for hundreds of miles at a time with never a problem. I wouldn't even think of putting adult bikes on the roof of an SUV. Nor do I know of any reason to not take long drives with them on a trailer hitch rack. Would be interested to know why some prefer one over the other.

PittCaleb

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PittCaleb - I've carried bikes on top of 4 different vehicles (a 2002 Tahoe, my wife's SRX, and two different Civics) for thousands of miles including trips to Colorado and Nebraska from Texas. I prefer carrying them up top because they don't bang against each other as they might on some carriers, they aren't vulnerable to a rear-end collision, and they don't obscure the lights on the rear of the car. The kind of carrier trays I use (Yakima Copperheads) are the ones that require the front wheel to be removed and then you fork-mount the bike using using a quick release.

Of course, one does have to be aware of them being up there so as not to drive into a garage, bank drive thru, or Sonic. 8)

·
Registered
20 Posts
The roof is too high for me. I use a 2" hitch Thule rack (weighs like 50 lbs, lol). The only issue is my backup sensors are disabled. If no bikes are on the rack I can open the rear hatch.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts