Traverse Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Woke up this morning started my 2017 traverse and went to storage. After trying to leave storage my car would not start with the key or remote start. I received a jump from a tow truck and still would not start. After having my car towed to Carl black Chevy. The tow truck driver started my car right up. Don’t understand what the problem could be but it’s not the battery if I could not get a jump.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Was it cold? If so, may be a frozen fuel line or at the fuel pump. After the tow truck slosh the gasoline around in the tank and it able to start up. Just my thoughts.🤔

·
Registered
11,435 Posts
yes how cold?
Im thinking throttle body milkshake that froze the butterfly..
If it was cold enough to freeze- then I would assume so.
If it was not cold- then something else.

Normally folks with dirty throttle bodies- are cruising down the highway in freezing temps- and the TB plate freezes- causing the vehicle to go into limp mode.
They pull over- and cant start car.
Tow truck driver shows up and is able to start the car right there and then-- or an owner gets back to car a little while later and it starts up.
What happens is that as the vehicle sits there--- the engine heat melts the ice and theyre able to resume trip.
But the potential is there to refreeze.
Ive posted in the past- as winter approaches-- that its time to clean the TB to avoid getting stuck on the side of the road

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes how cold?
Im thinking throttle body milkshake that froze the butterfly..
If it was cold enough to freeze- then I would assume so.
If it was not cold- then something else.

Normally folks with dirty throttle bodies- are cruising down the highway in freezing temps- and the TB plate freezes- causing the vehicle to go into limp mode.
They pull over- and cant start car.
Tow truck driver shows up and is able to start the car right there and then-- or an owner gets back to car a little while later and it starts up.
What happens is that as the vehicle sits there--- the engine heat melts the ice and theyre able to resume trip.
But the potential is there to refreeze.
Ive posted in the past- as winter approaches-- that its time to clean the TB to avoid getting stuck on the side of the road
well I live in Florida and it’s been in the 80’s for the last week and I stared it up fine at my house so I am very puzzled.

·
Registered
11,435 Posts
so when you try to start--- it cranks over- but no start...
or
no turning over at all?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No turning over at all but after a ride to the dealer it know works again. That’s why It does not sound like the battery to me.

·
Registered
2020 High Country
429 Posts
In the last 15 yrs I have had 3 batteries with internal connector failures. Zero crank symptom. 2 were still in warranty. Smack the battery or slam the hood and car would crank up and run fine. Carry into store and they would load check OK.
Just because it came off the hook and fired up don't assume the battery is fine.

·
Registered
833 Posts
How about the engine compartment fuse block, it could be loose, especially at the start relay. Also try putting it in neutral to check if your gear shift switch is making proper contact. I picked up my daughter at school one night, tried to start, nothing. I said now what! My daughter pointed out that the shifter wasn’t in park. 😉

·
Registered
3 Posts
In the last 15 yrs I have had 3 batteries with internal connector failures. Zero crank symptom. 2 were still in warranty. Smack the battery or slam the hood and car would crank up and run fine. Carry into store and they would load check OK.
Just because it came off the hook and fired up don't assume the battery is fine.
i agree. If your lights dim when you try to start your car, then it is the battery or a batter connector. I have seen intermittent batteries and loose battery terminals If nothing happens when you turn the key, then it is the starter or starter relay..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Woke up this morning started my 2017 traverse and went to storage. After trying to leave storage my car would not start with the key or remote start. I received a jump from a tow truck and still would not start. After having my car towed to Carl black Chevy. The tow truck driver started my car right up. Don’t understand what the problem could be but it’s not the battery if I could not get a jump.
I have had this happen several times in the past six months with my 2016 Traverse. After the first try, if I wait several minutes it will usually start up on the second try. I haven’t had it looked at to figure out why yet. It was not cold when it happened.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts