Traverse Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was parked on a steep hill over the weekend at a hotel. The car would crank, run for a second and stall. It had an 1/8 of a tank (I know to low, but my wife waits for the light :-\ )

The gauge showed empty on the hill, I had to put it in neutral and get it level, it finally started after a few cranks.

Anyone else have this issue?

Doesn't the tank have a baffle to prevent this? The car took 17 gallons upon filling up 10 miles down the road.

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
yes- others have had this issue. several posts about it on the lambda forums.

its a long tank- and this makes the low fuel issue even more problematic when parked on a hill.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Why can we "normal people" see this kind of stuff and these high paid design people can't. These are the kind of dumb things that I just can't understand.

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
they probably dont live on hills-- or else theyd have incorporated this into the design.

·
Registered
324 Posts
There was, probably (at least) one guy, going, "Really, you guys, we gotta do something about the design of the fuel tank", but for one reason or the other, it didn't get addressed.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The best part is when I go to have it put on paper, the dealer will say "can no duplicate customer's concerns". But I want it on paper. :banghead:

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Continually running the fuel tank to near empty or the point where the fuel light comes on is not a prudent thing to do. The fuel is used by the fuel pump to help cool it, and running low can detrimentally affect the pump by not providing the level of cooling that pump requires.

Also as you found out, on these GM Lambdas it can cause a no-go condition until fuel is added, or the vehicle is able to be coasted to a level position.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The truck was facing up hill.

The truck also had 6 gallons of fuel in it. As it only took 16 gallons at fill up. That is not right.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I'm sure most know this as well, but the other, possibly more detrimental problem of running your tank low is that your fuel pump will / can suck up the junk from the bottom of the tank that is in the gas. It doesn't really matter that the car is new (sure it is less likely) but the junk is found in the gas, and will get in the tank eventually.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My point is, it still had over 6 gallons of gas in the tank and it did not stay in the baffle.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Interesting observation, that it still had 6 gallons of gas in it. One scenario, although somewhat improbable, is maybe, even though the fuel system is supposed to be pressurized, possibly with the Traverse parked at such an angle, that some gas could have drained backwards, and formed an air pocket that had to be cleared to get a steady supply of fuel? Just an idea, something interrupted the flow of fuel, if it wasn't on the suction side ( 6 gallons in there, the preposition is that at that angle the suction side of the fuel pump could still reach the fuel) then possibly it may have been on the discharge side of the pressurized system. Just offering up an idea for discussion........

·
Registered
381 Posts
Crawl underneath the driver side and look at the gas tank itself. It is 6-8 feet long and about 3-4 feet wide. With the fuel pump being up at the front, depending on the angle, 6 gallon may not have even been enough.

As for the baffle, are you sure that there is one?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
It's my understanding that a baffle just prevents the fuel from sloshing around every time you turn, stop, start, etc. Can you imagine the handling problems if a 3/4 full tank allowed that fuel to move with no restrictions?

A baffle would not prevent the fuel from running downhill if you are parked facing uphill with a low level of fuel. These are not dams, they are not designed to keep fuel in a certain area of the tank at all times regardless of how it's parked.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts