Traverse Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have the 8 passenger seating in my traverse and have 2 year old twins. I want to be able to use the back seat so im thinking of putting the car seats next to each other in the second row one behind the driver and one in the middle,has anyone else tried this?My other option would be to put one seat in the third row but Im not to sure how to position it. The middle seams logical as it has a top tether anchor but the seat belt on the headliner confuses me on hooking it to my car seats or do I use one of the side seat belts? Any advice would be greatly appreciated as Im trying to get the most out of this vehicle

·
Registered
381 Posts
BOWTIEMAN said:
Hello I have the 8 passenger seating in my traverse and have 2 year old twins. I want to be able to use the back seat so im thinking of putting the car seats next to each other in the second row one behind the driver and one in the middle,has anyone else tried this?My other option would be to put one seat in the third row but Im not to sure how to position it. The middle seams logical as it has a top tether anchor but the seat belt on the headliner confuses me on hooking it to my car seats or do I use one of the side seat belts? Any advice would be greatly appreciated as Im trying to get the most out of this vehicle
The center seat in the 2nd row is pretty narrow. I have 3 in boosters. When I move a booster to the middle for a child to get in to the back, it seems as though the seat that slides forward hits it and I end up moving it some more to get the seat fully forward. I use the 2 second row outters and the 3rd row outter for the 3 boosters.

·
Registered
11,430 Posts
I spent about an hour yesterday installing a car seat. Wed been using the infant seat but the baby is now at the wieght limit of the infant carrier.
I have a safety 1st infant/toddler/booster seat.

I experimented in placing it in the 3 position in the center row.
THe infant seat was in the middle position.
But I decided to place the bigger seat behind the passenger still facing rearward. Ill wait till hes a little bigger to place him forward facing.
But I did have to slide the seat back.... also the back rest for the front passenger-- moved it forward-- then I played around with positioning the seat.
I had to place a rolled up towel to get it almost right. I then used the LATCH system over the seatbelt.

I did use the infant seat WITHOUT its base in the 3rd row... and used the seatbelt.

I read thru the entire manual for the seat... it can be confusing.
How old are your twins?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thats why we went with the 7 passenger. so we could have 2 car seats in the 2nd row and still have access to the 3rd row by walking between the 2 seats.

·
Registered
860 Posts
+1

·
Registered
56 Posts
DIESAHL said:
Thats why we went with the 7 passenger. so we could have 2 car seats in the 2nd row and still have access to the 3rd row by walking between the 2 seats.
Us too... we bought ours with a two year old and another on the way. We initially wanted the 8 passenger, but when we went to the dealership to look at them for the first time, it was like "ah-ha... with two car seats we could never get to the 3rd row seats". Then the hunt was on for a 7 passenger.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its been cold lately in ny so im going to leave them in the outer positions in the second row for now if I get a semi warm day Im going to play around a bit and try them in new positions. In the third row theres only one tether anchor and thats in the middle and the seatbelt is mounted on the headliner so this configration seems dificult any try and put a seat there?

·
Registered
193 Posts
With 5 kids (and another on the way), we've experimented with all kinds of seating arrangements. Putting two full-sized carseats next to each other in the middle row is tight enough to make it impractical. You would have to have really narrow car seats (which isn't a bad idea anyway, but I'm not sure how narrow they make them), and even then, you probably would have to push the middle one out of the way to slide the passenger side seat forward. For us, it works just fine to have a car seat in the left seat and a booster in the middle, but with twins, that won't work for you! Personally, I like having one car seat in the passenger side seat of the third row. With a sliding middle row seat, it's very accessible. We usually have one there and one right behind the driver. Booster seats fit basically anywhere else. Also, we've NEVER used tethers, even though we could. WAY too much of a pain if you have to temporarily rearrange seats (which happens all the time - like if you have to throw a bike in the back) and I'm not worried one bit that the seatbelt is inadequate to hold the car seat firmly (if it were, they wouldn't make them that way). My 2 cents...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I like your idea of using the pass. side 3rd row. Does the seatbelt hold the car seat tight? When it gets a little warmer im gonna try this out thanks for the info

·
Registered
11,430 Posts
works for me(INFANT seat) have not tried the big seats back there... the seatbelt is long enough. 1st few times youll have a little trouble as you figure out how to use the seat with no base-- and figure out how to put the seatbelt on. We had to tilt the seat up a bit and get the belt around the back.. but once set and at the proper level it worked fine.
we also lowered the handle.

·
Registered
11,430 Posts
with a 2nd one on the way, I was experimenting with 2 seats side by side.
they fit, tightly. but do fit. the bigger seat, has a hand rest that is in the way... Id probably remove it to get the black seat to fit better as it does have a screw to remove the armrest (note its causing the seat to tilt. I am able to slide the 40 portion of the seat. also- the side of the seat rubs with the infant seat- but it will slide.... I Like that the bigger seat has reflective stitching.

·
Registered
193 Posts
BOWTIEMAN said:
I like your idea of using the pass. side 3rd row. Does the seatbelt hold the car seat tight?
Yes, the seatbelt holds it nice and snug. You can cinch it down through the car seat the same way you would across your lap.

I also like the idea of taking off the arm rests on the car seats. Hadn't actually thought of that, but the kids really never use them. (Honestly, I'm not sure they can even reach them if they're buckled in properly).

Be careful of things that rub the side of the seat, even if they do work. When my wife had the two car seats side by side in the second row in her Sienna, the third seat rubbed against the car seat when it was tumbled forward. Even though the car seat seemed like it was "smooth" on that side, the edge of the plastic left some nice permanent scratches in the side of the seat that folded. That was the last time we used that seating configuration!

·
Registered
860 Posts
We love our boys. But I do not miss the days of loading bulky car seats, stroller, Pack 'n' Play, and other associated baby stuff...and we did it with our Buick Regal...

·
Super Moderator
2,043 Posts
Once every three weeks or so, my wife picks up her sister-in-law and her two kids to head out to great-grandma's house.

So 2 adults - up front

2 kids.....one in an infant seat/carrier, and the other in a toddler seat (rearfacing) are in the middle row, and since we have captains chairs, the other two toddlers who are both over 2 years old, walk through the middle to the third row. Their chairs are in the outer positions of the third row.

This gives every child enough room, and they aren't close enough to get into mischief with each other! :p

It works well. My wife will usually go in through the middle to strap the kids in the third row.

OP....I would maybe consider using one chair in the 2nd row, and one chair in the 40 split of the 3rd row. That way you can still fold down the 60 portion....I have done this before, and it worked well.

This way you can flip forward the second row bench to get a child and yourself into the back, while your wife get the other child into the middle row.

Did you need an 8 passanger vehicle, or was it the model they had on the lot?

·
Registered
860 Posts
Quantum said:
This gives every child enough room, and they aren't close enough to get into mischief with each other! :p
Good one!! Our boys find a way to bother each other...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts