Traverse Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone figured out how to carry a canoe or kayak on top of the Traverse? I'm going to have the dealer install the roof rack side rails and cross rails. But, I need to tie down the front of the canoe somehow. All I can find on the front of the Traverse is plastic! Then I thought maybe under the hood I could connect a strap on the metal and hang it out when I need it. All plastic under there too! Has anybody mastered this problem yet?

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
What about moving the Canoe back a bit further, so the front of it is barely past the windshield, and then the front strap would be tied to the front most cargo cross bar. Then for the rear, get one of those cargo carriers that go into the hitch ( assuming you have one ) and either build a wooden A type frame brace that will support the rear of the canoe, or just tie the rear of the canoe down to the cargo carrier with a long rope. Sorry I don't have pictures to explain in detail, hopefully you get what I'm saying.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
You don't need to tie it down in the front if you use the right type of straps. Look on the internet they make special straps that will hold a canoe down so tight you could roll over and it will not fall off.

They are wide straps and have a flat mental brace with rubber to hold the canoe in place. They just hook to your factory roof racks.

I use a Thule 579XT Canoe Rack "hope I don't get in trouble for name dropping" but it works great.

As for a Kayak the above people make ties down systems for them as well. I've had three kayaks on the roof at once.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
BigBlueTraverse said:
You don't need to tie it down in the front if you use the right type of straps. Look on the internet they make special straps that will hold a canoe down so tight you could roll over and it will not fall off.

They are wide straps and have a flat mental brace with rubber to hold the canoe in place. They just hook to your factory roof racks.
Good to know. I was thinking that you might not need a 3rd. tie down point, but I have a history of Over building / securing things. :angel:

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
These straps are very wide and the bases they attach to secure to the roof rack and have rubber on them so the canoe will not slide.

You just have to spread the roof racks out and strap it down. I have to take the antenna off if I have the one big canoe on. It has cover bow and stern. The other ones fit over the antenna.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BigBlueTraverse said:

I use a Thule 579XT Canoe Rack "hope I don't get in trouble for name dropping" but it works great.
Thanks for your input. I don't like to go down the highway without having the front of the canoe secured. Wind has a tendency to blow the canoe from side to side. Your Thule gunnell brackets help with the side to side movement, but the model that you reference above only works on a square Thule cross bar. I'm looking to adapt my old Yakima tower system that I had on my beloved Trailblazer so that it will work on the side rail system of the Traverse.

I was basically looking for anyone that has already solved this problem, and has figured out a way to tie the canoe on the top of the car and secure the front of the canoe to the front of the car (or to straps under the hood).

·
Registered
324 Posts
I'm hoping you come up with something, because I need some place up front to mount a dune flag for Silver Lake Sand Dunes in Michigan.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I've carried both canoes and kayaks up top on my previous vehicle, a Tahoe, and also on my wife's SRX. It will work the same on my Traverse as soon as I get any time for fun stuff.

For canoes and kayaks, I use Yakima hardware. Basic Yakima round crossbars attach by whichever method you want (in the case of the Traverse, you're probably talking Q-Towers.)

A set of Kayak Stackers is awesome for whitewater boats like my Piranha and the son-in-law's Dagger. They tie securely laying on their sides.

For the canoe (also for a touring kayak), I recommend a Yakima Hully Roller setup which can be bought at REI and other retailers. It's got a rear roller setup which makes it a snap to load and unload a long boat. The literature shows a front and rear strap-- and I guess that would be best, but I think if you secure it well enough to the rack it should withstand the forces exerted.

http://www.rei.com/product/753409

Hope this helps someone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts