Traverse Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In its early stages, but looks like Canada is now prepared to help out buyers with their warranties if buying GM and Chrysler....sounds like it starts today....great.....we put ours in service last Saturday....GGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Medman

·
Registered
994 Posts
medman said:
In its early stages, but looks like Canada is now prepared to help out buyers with their warranties if buying GM and Chrysler....sounds like it starts today....great.....we put ours in service last Saturday....GGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Medman
I am confused Medman. You think warranty protection back by the gov't applies only to new vehicles purchased today and forward? :ack:

Of course by extension there is no warranty coverage for GM/Chrysler cars bought yesterday and earlier?? That can't be true. Do you have a link that explains this more specifically?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was true for the US..here is the link to the US plan

http://www.sltrib.com/business/ci_12032593?source=rss

I'm not clear what date the Canadian "restructuring" period started..if its the same as the US which was March 30, I'm okay..if it's today in Canada then I missed it by 3 days.

The Canadian release isn't as clear, with the exception that there is a quote that the Canadian program "parallels" the US program.
http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/ic1.nsf/eng/04562.html

Medman (hoping I still have warranty but love my traverse :confused:

·
Registered
994 Posts
medman said:
Medman (hoping I still have warranty but love my traverse :confused:
I maybe slow on the uptake but say for argument sake your engine through no fault of your own siezes up tomorrow.... less than a couple of weeks after taking possession of this brand new 09 car from the dealer. Under these circumstances it is your understanding that your dealer/GM would leave you high and dry?? :eek:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
copperbeech said:
I maybe slow on the uptake but say for argument sake your engine through no fault of your own siezes up tomorrow.... less than a couple of weeks after taking possession of this brand new 09 car from the dealer. Under these circumstances it is your understanding that your dealer/GM would leave you high and dry?? :eek:
No....they would cover it....what I am saying is....I am assuming from this date forward, that if, down the road GM actually goes belly up, the government of our glorious country of Canada would ass-ume that warrantys on vehicles bought as of TODAY, would be backed by the government....prior to today, you are screwed...BUT...if they are following the U.S.....that would be effective anything bought as of March 30...anything before March 30th....you are on your own......

Medman

·
Registered
185 Posts
Medman,

I think that you are correct in assuming that the Canadian dates exactly parallel the U.S. date of March 30. I have not seen anything that exactly shows that in writing however. If it makes you feel any better in the meantime, I missed the U.S. guarantee by 22 days (but who is counting, right?) :banghead:

·
Registered
994 Posts
medman said:
No....they would cover it....what I am saying is....I am assuming from this date forward, that if, down the road GM actually goes belly up, the government of our glorious country of Canada would ass-ume that warrantys on vehicles bought as of TODAY, would be backed by the government....prior to today, you are screwed...BUT...if they are following the U.S.....that would be effective anything bought as of March 30...anything before March 30th....you are on your own......

Medman
Dumb of me of me Medman :-[.

So it looks like I'm kind of ok as I won't be signing off on this in transit car till sometime in the next couple of weeks. BUT I have an 05 Pontiac Vibe purchased in 05 with an expensive extended warranty which should be in effect for another couple of years which under this arrangement would be left 'high and dry'...right?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
t4me said:
Medman,

I think that you are correct in assuming that the Canadian dates exactly parallel the U.S. date of March 30. I have not seen anything that exactly shows that in writing however. If it makes you feel any better in the meantime, I missed the U.S. guarantee by 22 days (but who is counting, right?) :banghead:
That's gotta suck, but I am still holding my breath....for a little while anyway... :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
copperbeech said:
Dumb of me of me Medman :-[.

So it looks like I'm kind of ok as I won't be signing off on this in transit car till sometime in the next couple of weeks. BUT I have an 05 Pontiac Vibe purchased in 05 with an expensive extended warranty which should be in effect for another couple of years which under this arrangement would be left 'high and dry'...right?
Not sure about that either Copper....I'm still waiting to hear back from the stealer on this....

Medman

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh well...we are screwed....Bought last Saturday, and they are covering from yesterday forward....

"Mr. Clement said that the Canadian warranty program – which covers all new GM and Chrysler vehicles purchased as of Tuesday – will assure consumers that they can purchase vehicles from the two troubled companies and have confidence in the five-year warranties."

http://business.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20090407.wwarranties0407/BNStory/Business/home

Medman :'( >:D :angryfire: :sosad: :help: :banghead: :mad:

·
Registered
185 Posts
No more screwed that 99.99% of us out there today... Keep in mind this would only help someone if GM decides to not honor their warranties any longer. Hopefully, that part of GM that handles this does not get placed in the so-called "bad GM" company for liquidation/bankrupcy...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts