Traverse Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you put a 2.4 l engine in a 2011 Chevy Traverse that previously had a 3.6 liter engine? I'm asking because our traverse needs a new engine and the price difference between those two size motors is vast, we're talking the difference between $1,100 and $3,000. I would appreciate any help and insight on this that you guys can offer thank you

·
Registered
19 Traverse Premier FWD
56 Posts
I have never done an engine swap, but I would guess it is theoretically possible. The biggest problem is I am pretty sure if you put a 2.4L in, and it had a 3.6L before, then the other components may not fit the same, For example, the A/C compressor, the alternator, power steering pump, etc. These are not usually "part of the engine" when you buy a replacement. They are considered auxilliary parts. I would also expect the engine computer needing to be replaced ir reprogrammed. These items may eat up that $1900 "savings" in a hurry.

Those are my thoughts,
-RandyMan

·
Registered
235 Posts
I suspect it would cost whole lot more than the difference in price between the two engines to do it i would not doubt you might have to do some fabrication as well. Not to mention the change in driving characteristics due to the less weight, horsepower and torque. They there is the different suspension issues. Just have to bite the bullet and stay with the 3.6. Not like ancient time's when changing engines was a snap..

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Anything is possible, but I think you would not be able to find a shop to undertake that type of custom job and the cost would be more than just getting a new 3.6... I'm sorry to hear this happened to you and applaud you for trying to find ways to lessen the financial burden but I think this is an example of "do it right or don't do it".

Reactions: repairman54

·
Registered
2020 High Country
1,001 Posts
Anything is possible, but I think you would not be able to find a shop to undertake that type of custom job and the cost would be more than just getting a new 3.6... I'm sorry to hear this happened to you and applaud you for trying to find ways to lessen the financial burden but I think this is an example of "do it right or don't do it".
And I'll second this. Sorry but there is no cheaper way out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts