Traverse Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to completely unsubscribe from all connected services shortly. I played around with some of the fuses on my 2018 Traverse Premier and found one fuse that "almost" did what I want but in addition to cutting power to onstar it also killed the internal GPS and the compass.

I have seen posts around for older vehicles talking about removing the onstar module but I cannot seem to find it on my car. Is there a separate module or is it built in to the radio now?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1) I don't want to pay a freaking dime to Onstar, they overcharge and do not provide enough value.
2) The remote keyfob isn't free anymore and that is literally the only useful part of the connected features
3) Privacy, I don't want my vehicle calling home and telling the dealership that I didn't change my oil with them.

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
hehe...
Ill tell you what.....
A few yrs ago... I was literally halfway into Mexico.
In a rural area. Mountains. Handheld cell phones dont work- unless you reach the higher peaks.
When I got back home.... In my Inbox- was the Onstar monthly email.
With the emails datestamp, the OLM %, reported mileage, the vehicle 'phoned home'. I know exactly where I was on the day it sent the notice.

The vehicles 'stronger' antenna (output) was definitely able to contact distant cell towers.
So yeah- the vehicles cell antenna is higher output.... and yeah the phone was able to get on the Mexican cell towers and call home to send its info.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Onstar uses a full three watts instead of a regular cell phone's 0.6 watts.

The roof or trunk also provides a large reflective surface.

It doesn't matter that you turn it off, the Government always knows where you are. ;) ::)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For sure, however I am not hiding from the guvment. I am merely trying to disable a useless component in my car that could be considered as a breach of privacy. I should have that option, shouldn't I?

Again, the fuse is an option as long as I'm willing to also give up the GPS and compass, which will break the in-vehicle NAV (which after a few years will be useless anyway because I refuse to pay GM for maps that I get for free from Google).

·
Registered
264 Posts
Onstar is a voluntary service, like SiriusXM. Unless you enroll and pay, you will NOT get the service.

Onstar or GM will not force you to pay for Onstar or SiriusXM. As for GPS Maps, you never have to update them. That way it costs you nothing.

Do you own a smart phone? That could also be considered a breach of privacy. Google tracks everywhere you go so they may provide you with adds that fit your location.

I'm sorry for not really understand your reasons correctly. It seems like you may have been misinformed in the past and it is affecting your understanding of Onstar and other services like it.

That being said, I'm sure that if you ask your Dealership, they may be able to completely disable it in a way that prevents the loss of anything else.

Good luck!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes I do own a smart phone, and am well aware of the tracking Google, Apple, Samsung and the NSA do, this is not a paranoia thing. I am also aware that OnStar is a voluntary service that I can opt out of. However, there is no guarantee that they (or a hacker, or whoever) can't access my car's location / service status / microphone / etc while I am in unsubscribed mode. If the hardware isn't necessary for the car to function, why have it enabled?

As for the maps, the built in maps for the traverse do not auto-update. Here is a link to purchase the updated maps. $159 / year.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I want to be certain that no one can overhear the conversations I carry on while in my vehicle. There are 2 microphones in the headliner and am wondering if there is a way they can be disabled.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'm not certain if the two microphones you mention in the headliner are the same as the other two near the 2nd/3rd rows, which are also used for Bluetooth calls and the ANC system.

But I'm not sure if those are used with OnStar as well (probably) or the OnStar headliner control panel has its own set of microphones as well or in addition for use.

But pulling the headliner microphones, which look like quarter sized mesh screens, would also affect your Bluetooth and ANC systems as well.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
OnStar circuitry runs through the rear view mirror. Might try...... Flip lever day/night mirror?.......separate the connector powering the mirror. Self dimming mirror?......uses separate power leads for OnStar and for the self dimming capability. Forgot the pinout, but only 3 leads necessary are the red and black for self dimming plus a third for the backup lamp communication. No power to OnStar module only the mic communication for the Onstar should be disabled.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts