Traverse Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 2wd LT and the ive got a check engine light im trying to rid myself of.

The backstory is...
I replaced the air filter with an STP Performance filter. The next time the car went out the Check engine light came on. I took it apart and put it back together and reset the light in case i didn't get a good seal or something. Still the check engine light remains. About 3 days later i put the old dirty filter back in as it was the only thing i messed with.

The code is a P2099. Running down that rabbit hole i went ahead and replaced the MAF. Still no luck. I ordered a couple of O2 senors for Bank 2 and a Delco air filter. Starting with the air filter, this time i noticed oil pooling up in the air intake tube past the MAF near the intake manifold. Reading here I found that seems to be common with the PCV breathers. So I pulled the tube, cleaned it and replaced the breathers. At this point I still have not replaced the o2 sensors as I cant get the old ones off.

I havent put enough miles on it to know if that did anything for my problem.

Reading though the forums what I think i understand is that is possible that by allowing the engine to breath with the new air filter, it could have allowed things like that PCV problem to better assert itself. I think i understand that the oil buildup in the air intake could also result in a check eng light.

My real question here is, Do i understand this right? Am i possibly correct in thinking that oil buildup there could cause the issue or is looking to the air intake seem like the wrong path? If so, is there a way to clean out any oil that might have been sucked into the air intake without pulling the manifold off?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Not sure how you fell about Seaform but they have a few items that will clean the gas tank and injectors, throttle body and intake, and the pistons and valves and cam, Look on their website. It's a cheap 25.00 investment for 3 cans of the different Seafoam products try first. There are how to videos. One video shows a guy putting in Amsoil to help with a leaky and noisy drive train. Looked like 90W... It worked though...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure how you fell about Seaform but they have a few items that will clean the gas tank and injectors, throttle body and intake, and the pistons and valves and cam, Look on their website. It's a cheap 25.00 investment for 3 cans of the different Seafoam products try first. There are how to videos. One video shows a guy putting in Amsoil to help with a leaky and noisy drive train. Looked like 90W... It worked though...
THanks. i forgot all about Seafoam. Never tried it myself. Ive seen on forums some say it was the miricle cure while ive seen others say it made things 2x worse. Ill have to think on that one.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Remember with Seafoam that our engines are direct injection. Nothing put in the gas tank is ever going to do anything with throttle body, MAF, or intake manifold. Some folks on other forums suggest spraying the Seafoam into the intake manifold while the engine is running, thus loosening some of the carbon build up from the back of the valves. This is a controversial method; many contend that the carbonized material remains hard enough to damage the cylinders, pistons and rings as it is ingested and flies around internally prior to being blown out the exhaust. Just a few points to consider.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you. I really appreciate the insight. I think if i have a problem its due to oil polluting the intake air. So i guess i would need something a bit gentle to simply take care of that. Assuming my problem is due to oil coating parts as it got sucked up in the air intake, I want to think that since I have fixed the PCV problem, it should eventually run out of contaminate. Or is that false hope in that it would take so long that it would make more sense to just pull off the intake and wash it out with carb cleaner?

·
Registered
545 Posts
I really don't see an air filter causing this itself. Rather, did something get disturbed during the install. 2099 is a code for running rich, so it almost seems like you caused a leak of unmetered air (in other words, introducing air into the engine after the Mass Airflow Meter). This seems probably obvious since you said you already replaced the MAF so you probably know your way around the intake tract, but during install did you either 1) dislodge the intake hose at the throttle body, or 2) pull out the other end of the PCV hose that goes into the valve cover on the front side of the engine? Or just simply crack/damage the tube? The PCV tube is pretty short and easy to pull it out of the valve cover while negotiating the intake to put a new filter in.

Other thing as I think about it, is there's what appears to be a vacuum hose that runs near the air filter box and kind of gets in the way when changing the filter - possible you punctured it during the work as that would cause a vacuum leak.

Hard to do with the noisy DI injectors but if you can hear an air rushing sound somewhere around the area you worked, it might help find the culprit.

I do not think oil coating itself would immediately cause the problem, it is pretty common in most cars the PCV puts some oil into the intake and the car will run just fine, generally- with the caveat that over time, and on these direct injection cars, the intake valve can get buildup from the oil and eventually not fully close, although I believe you'd likely get a missfire on that cylinder too. The P2099 would just be a factor of coincidental timing though. Could also be coincidental timing that that O2 sensor is just near end of life and needing replacement. MAP sensor, which I think is also in the vicinity is worth inspecting too. Check the MAF connector for damage, bent/broken pins.

To me though it seems likely something got disturbed during the air filter installation.

Reactions: c&wsinbad

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought the same thing myself. 101 teaches me that since the problem appeared when i messed with it, the problem most likely has to be with what i messed with.I appreciate all the suggestions.I did do an inspection around it but it never hurts to take another look. I don't remember seeing a vacuum line there. Ill have a closer look. I know i didn't inspec the MAP sensor. You have given me a few specific things to look more closely at.

I appreciate the feedback.

·
Registered
2020 High Country
627 Posts
I've put a catch can on my '16 3.6 Equinox, it catches a lot of oil that would have been sucked into the engine. At least 2 ounces of oil every oil change by the OLM. It's motor is at 80k miles now. Full synth. oils only.
Nothing to see when looking at a MAP unlike a MAF.
Full featured scan tool with live scanning ability is a must for looking at fuel trims and sensor feedback to diagnose any strange issues.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts