Traverse Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2010 LT. It was a program car and the Rental Agency deleted the Onstar/Blutooth Option. I looked where the Onstar Module is supposed to be and it's not there, but it looks like the wiring harness is there. Anyone else ran into this? I would Love to have the bluetooth, but i"m not sure on the onstar. I was hoping to try out Onstar and see if I liked it.
Thanks
John

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Check out a product called Bluestar it's an add in device that will give you bluetooth through the mirror. You may need an Onstar mirror not sure.

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
someome here uses a product called Parrot to get Bluetooth

A

·
0 Posts
The Onstar module was probably deleted once the rental agency made the purchase. Installing this module can be a PITA because of where it is located. Having the wire harness there means all the other wiring is in place; so all you would need is the module and the mirror. As far as Bluetooth; if you install Onstar and get that working and then install an aftermarket Bluetooth; then a lot of times you lose Onstar capability (as is the case with the Bluestar product http://www.costartech.com/pb/products/bluestar.html)

COSTAR Technologies and the BLUESTAR product are not affiliated with OnStar LLC or General Motors LLC. Use of the BLUESTAR product disables the OnStar equipment in the vehicle so that none of its safety and security features will function, including emergency assistance, or voice control for naviagation if equipped. It is the responsibility of the vehicle owner to advise subsequent owners of his vehicle that the OnStar system has been disabled

Bluestar relies on the already installed Onstar equipped vehicles to operate

Parrot http://www.parrot.com/usa/products/bluetooth-hands-free-car-kits on the other hand does not rely on Onstar to operate but this system is not integrated into the vehicle as is the Bluestar product

·
Registered
272 Posts
AA/78U said:
The Onstar module was probably deleted once the rental agency made the purchase. Installing this module can be a PITA because of where it is located. Having the wire harness there means all the other wiring is in place; so all you would need is the module and the mirror. As far as Bluetooth; if you install Onstar and get that working and then install an aftermarket Bluetooth; then a lot of times you lose Onstar capability (as is the case with the Bluestar product http://www.costartech.com/pb/products/bluestar.html)

COSTAR Technologies and the BLUESTAR product are not affiliated with OnStar LLC or General Motors LLC. Use of the BLUESTAR product disables the OnStar equipment in the vehicle so that none of its safety and security features will function, including emergency assistance, or voice control for naviagation if equipped. It is the responsibility of the vehicle owner to advise subsequent owners of his vehicle that the OnStar system has been disabled

Bluestar relies on the already installed Onstar equipped vehicles to operate

Parrot http://www.parrot.com/usa/products/bluetooth-hands-free-car-kits on the other hand does not rely on Onstar to operate but this system is not integrated into the vehicle as is the Bluestar product
So, my Onstar is turned off and I DON'T have the bluetooth option in my Traverse. Can I use the Bluestar and it operates through the mirror just like the Onstar used to?

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Onstar is in the back compartment were the Jack is located. The XM radio module is there as well.

A

·
0 Posts
kawazar said:
So, my Onstar is turned off and I DON'T have the bluetooth option in my Traverse. Can I use the Bluestar and it operates through the mirror just like the Onstar used to?
Good question; I had not thought about this. My best guess would be to contact COSTAR and ask them directly.

·
Registered
37 Posts
According to Onstar

How Do I Get OnStar?

OnStar is a factory-installed option and cannot be installed by a dealer or retailer, so you must do one of the following:

* Purchase a vehicle with OnStar
* Own a vehicle with OnStar

·
Registered
66 Posts
kawazar said:
Yup. We have it on our '09 LS. Works like a charm.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've heard a rumor that OnStar would be available to be installed post production. If people really like it, why wouldn't you let someone install it in their vehicle (GM or not)?

·
Registered
66 Posts
kuhldip said:
I've heard a rumor that OnStar would be available to be installed post production. If people really like it, why wouldn't you let someone install it in their vehicle (GM or not)?
It'll be available and Best Buy and other places this Spring according to the On* Website.

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
yes you soon will be a friend saw the setup at ces this past week.

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
yup Onstar Anywhere.
you can add it to any car. (they have a list like toyotas, hondas, etc)

·
Registered
1 Posts
BigBlueTraverse said:
Onstar is in the back compartment were the Jack is located. The XM radio module is there as well.

Why is hard to install the moduals? Where can I get them for both onstal and xmradio?

A

·
0 Posts
The modules are in a hard to reach location that requires you to go through the jack compartment.

I'm not sure you can purchase both the modules unless you went through a dealer that would be willing to sell them to you

1 - 17 of 17 Posts