Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering buying a FWD LS and want to know if I can install hfaftermarket Navigation. I checked on Crutchfield.com and it only asks for make and model, but not trim level.

Thanks

·
Registered
72 Posts
Do you mean like, in the dash? Cause buying those stick-on windshield ones work just fine.

Also you do have the audible On-Star turn-by-turn directions on it (I Think) so you can also use that

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I was thinking about installing an in dash navigation. Crutchfield.com has several that it says fit the Traverse and it asks if you have the bose system or not...just wondering if anyone has done it or encountered any problems doing it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you add aftermarket, do you have to install an antenna as well?

How about swapping out the LS radio with an LT/LTZ NAV radio... can that be done without having to mess with the antenna?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm in the same boat...we originally started looking @ Acadias, but have since decided we'd be better served buying a low mile LS Traverse and adding the nav+dvd ourselves.

Anyone else here go this route, and have opinions on brand, prices, specs, etc, etc??

·
Registered
417 Posts
While I as at a dealer last week, I noticed a few Tahoe's with aftermarket NAV/Stereo units (the OEM NAV in Tahoe and Traverse are identical). They were extremely close to the GM OEM models, no volume or tune knobs, but if you didn't look closely you'd miss that they were aftermarket. The guy I asked there didn't know much, but said they were Pioneer. The fit/look was fantastic.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've looked at the in-dash Nav also. The one I keep seeing is manufactured by Rosen.
Rosen Navigtion Install - Chevy Traverse

As you can see from the install video there's no additional harness required, and the steering wheel radio buttons work with the unit.

It's pricey though. The cheapest i've seen is about $1,100.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just had a nav sys & dvd installed in a 2010 traverse...part of the dealer sell. A few problems arise when I did that. You can no longer control bluetooth throught the steering controls, and the RSA (rear seat audio) system is cut out. All not good

·
Registered
27 Posts
chief5631 said:
I just had a nav sys & dvd installed in a 2010 traverse...part of the dealer sell. A few problems arise when I did that. You can no longer control bluetooth throught the steering controls, and the RSA (rear seat audio) system is cut out. All not good
Am I to assume they didn't add a factory system? I'm pretty sure Pac-Audio sells the correct adapters to make the RSA & bluetooth work, but they cost extra...so it sounds like the dealer cheaped out. I may be wrong, as we don't have our Traverse *yet* and I'll be doing the exact same thing as yourself, but the Pac site shows all the necessary hardware...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not sure if it was considered factory or not, all I know that is who the dealer works with to make this happen, but I should be told ahead of time what parts will/will not work and let me base my decision on that.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Rego said:
It's pricey though. The cheapest i've seen is about $1,100.
Considering the NAV option from GM is about $2000, I'd call that cheap. The Rosen unit looks a lot like the GM unit too. I was a little surprised by the GPS ant placement recommendation in the video. The GM GPS ant is under the dash, if I remember correctly, and works just fine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The Rosen units are advertised as 100% plug & play in my Crutchfield catalog, and that all factory functions will work without the need for harnesses or adapters...and I know Pac sells the harnesses/adapters to make all the factory bells/whistles work with the Pioneers/Kenwoods/etc...the good thing is the aftermarket has had since like 2007(?) or so to get used to the GM-Lan interface, so the Traverse shouldn't be anything special.

·
Registered
7 Posts
so are you saying everything should work since it's plug and play? I have an email into Rosen right now but they don't respond very quickly

·
Registered
27 Posts
chief5631 said:
so are you saying everything should work since it's plug and play? I have an email into Rosen right now but they don't respond very quickly
The way it reads, "yes", all factory controls/features should work, and no extra harnesses/plugs are necessary, simply remove the factory unit and install the Rosen...

·
Registered
27 Posts
I thought I'd finally get around to adding this...here is a scan from my Crutchfield catalog of the page on the Rosen replacement nav/dvd head unit...

The ones on Ebay are a tad cheaper but are supposed to be this very unit I believe...anyone tried one of them? I may bite the bullet and be the guinea pig...

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
chief5631 said:
I sell/install a lot of these units. It will be very close to factory and will work with all of your factory options plug and play except if you have a factory rear camera.

·
Registered
4 Posts
chevy454 said:
I thought I'd finally get around to adding this...here is a scan from my Crutchfield catalog of the page on the Rosen replacement nav/dvd head unit...

The ones on Ebay are a tad cheaper but are supposed to be this very unit I believe...anyone tried one of them? I may bite the bullet and be the guinea pig...
If you have any specific questions let me know. if you are looking for a reputable source in purchasing one I could point you in the right direction also.

·
Registered
248 Posts
:thumb: I have an aftermarket Pioneer AVIC system in my Silverado with Bluetooth& IPOD and love it. It works differently then the stock Navigation in our Traverse but it doesn’t take long to get use to. If I were you I would go to your local car audio shops check them out and see witch one you find easy to operate then go from there. You can buy the unit any were but go to a shop were you can collect all the information to make an informed decision then do a little research on the internet. http://avic411.com/
http://www.the12volt.com/ here are some good resources.

8) Steve

A

·
0 Posts
synthmode said:
I sell/install a lot of these units. It will be very close to factory and will work with all of your factory options plug and play except if you have a factory rear camera.
That could be a deal breaker for some

1 - 20 of 25 Posts