Traverse Forum banner

Buying used Traverse. Recommended year?

12K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  Me and My Chevy 
#1 ·
My wife and I are die-hard Japanese car owners switching to Chevrolet for ride quality and space. We have chosen the Traverse and are in the market for a used vehicle. Having gone through this forum, it seems Vehicles before 2012 suffer from timing belt issues and lackluster engine life. Is there a vehicle year recommended more than other years for the Chevrolet Traverse? In the used car market currently in Virginia, we have 2012 and 2014 vehicles priced within our budget, but I am willing to look at other years if it would be worthwhile. Any input would be appreciated.

#2 ·
The newer the better. I'd go 2013 or later. Quick clue - look for the higher liftgate-mounted rear license plate vs the bottom bumper mounted one. That should eliminate the timing chain, waveplate and water pump issues and probably the steering pump issue. You'll still be susceptible to the rear AC evaporator leak issue, though.

Reactions: bose
#3 ·
My general rule of thumb is to get the newest I can afford with the features I want. For 1st gen Traverse I'd go with the 2013 and newer, a lot of minor upgrades for the facelift really make it feel more premium and modern.

#4 ·
Same. Go to the newest year you can afford. Have a complete check by an independent mechanic before buying it. I have a 2017 with 0 issue so far.

#5 ·
I was just looking at the Consumer Reports "buying guide" on lunch today... the '14 and '17 are both very good buys, the '13 and '15 are not recommended and the '16 is average. Whatever their opinion is worth. They generally had the Traverse as average or higher for most reliability areas going back to '14, the climate control was the worst score for every model year.

#6 ·
My wife and I are going tomorrow to look at a 2017 certified Traverse LS model. I told her we can afford a 2016 or 2017. I love the ride of the Traverse much more so than the Toyota Highlander which we are also looking at (2015 models). The highlander consumer reports just dwarfs the Traverses' ratings, but she and I both seem to be drawn to the Traverse for some reason - the ride and overall driving experience is wonderful. Frankly speaking, my son is headed to VMI in Lexington, Va next year. I just want to be able to get there and back with all his cargo without much ado and not have to call a tow truck from the hilly regions of Virginia. LOL

#8 ·
Bose: just a few thing you will love on the LS and not so much.
The second row seat is a full 60/40 with center armrest. Perfect for families versus the captain second row seats
The not so good if you can live with. The rear camera is very low resolution. Very cheap and not the best on the market
Beside this it is a very good vehicule and well equipped for an LS.

#10 ·
That's what rooftop cargo boxes and hitch mounted cargo racks are for! NO MINIVANS, EVER!!!

#11 ·
For me the minivan was a better more usable vehicule than my Traverse. In my Uplander the rear visibility was 10 times better than my Traverse. Large higher Windows all around with top visibility. The loading room from the back was much more better also. When I bought the Traverse there was no more vehicle to replace my Uplander because GM discontinued the van and I wanted to stay with GM. The Traverse has a better ride but no SUV's can beat a van for inside room.

#13 ·
Nice. Are the wheels rims original. I dont recall having seen this kind before?

#14 ·
My 2012 LT has 140,000 miles on it and is still running strong. By now I would have expected front end problems but its still tight and the car drives smooth and strong. My wife has a heavy foot and pushes the vehicle on interstates with no mercy yet it still seems eager to serve her interests. I worry about the timing chain but so far no hints of any problems. Somehow Chevy got this one right! Some plastic covers inside are weak but everyone knows that. I found LED headlights to replace originals and they are really bright although one burned out below 10,000 miles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.