Traverse Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning to purchase a 1LT demo with 4500 miles driven primarily by the New Orleans Saints and then by the dealer's wife. I feel good to be in such company :)
Although I feel that there is very little wiggle room, I feel that the dealer wants me to feel that way, so I hope y'all can help.
Both Consumer Guide Auto and the dealer agree that the MSRP is 31,865. The options (7 passenger seating, PCL, Rearview Camera, and Black Granite Metallic exterior paint) add up to 33,345, plus destination charge of $775 (Detroit to New Orleans, I guess) for a total MSRP of 34,120. The invoice of all these items according to the website is 32,350 including destination.
The internet manager is claiming their actual invoice was $33,183. So far, that is a difference of $937 (according to her) between their MSRP and invoice.
They say they are dropping the price from 34,120 to 30,599. Then we are adding in the current rebate of 2,000, as well as the current GM loyalty incentive of 1,000, which brings us to $27,599. I also have the GM Card, which has increased their rebate during January to 2,000 from the regular 1,500.
Okay, so a 2011 Traverse 1LT with an MSRP of 34,120 will now cost us only $25,599, before TTL, minus trade, etc.
I know that we should haggle over trade value, etc., but what room do I have to negotiate on the value of the demo? This dealer, like most dealers, tends to offer large discounts in their ads (usually at least $2000 on a new vehicle, plus rebates, etc.)

A

·
0 Posts
A few things that come to mind:

Does your trade have equity?
Has the dealer discussed your finance percentage?
I assume this vehicle is still showing as new and never registered?
Is the vehicle a 2010 or 2011?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a 2011. The trade is paid in full. We are already pre-approved with our credit union at 3.99%. It is a new vehicle.
Also, there are about 20 other traverse 1LT models on their site, varying in colors and features.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
also, the trade is valued on kbb.com at 4155 private party to private party. If I don't feel they are offering a close enough value, we'll sell it on the street.

A

·
0 Posts
Sounds like a good deal as long as the dealer offers enough for your trade

·
Registered
186 Posts
sounds good to me, but I would either have them take off more $ since its got demo mileage, or have them throw in a BTB warrantee. You have no idea how those Saints treated that car. I know how I have treated loaner or rental cars...remember that scene from "Days of Thunder" when the drivers are on their way to dinner? :angel:

·
Registered
551 Posts
staciesbaby said:
sounds good to me, but I would either have them take off more $ since its got demo mileage, or have them throw in a BTB warrantee. You have no idea how those Saints treated that car. I know how I have treated loaner or rental cars...remember that scene from "Days of Thunder" when the drivers are on their way to dinner? :angel:
x2. What would a new one cost you? Do you know how guys treat rental or dealer cars that they do not own! Plus, I don't really buy that the owners wife was driving it, they may just be telling you that. Around here anyway, the owners wife is always driving the best model. Nothing wrong with a 1LT but my guess is they used it for running erands, or whoever needs it takes it.

Im sure the car is fine, but know that those 4,500 miles were rough miles :happy:

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
i would tell them throw in a gm majorgaurd ext warranty and be done with it. sounds like your getting a good deal.

·
Registered
208 Posts
The GM card would only let me use $1500 not $2000. I had $3400.

They are letting you use 2k?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
The GM card would only let me use $1500 not $2000. I had $3400.

Remember, there are two versions of the GM card. One is the original which basically has no cap on the amount you can use towards a purchase. We have that one and just used almost $3000.00 of earnings towards a 2010 traverse this summer.

There is also a newer version of the GM card which does limit the earnings which can be used on certain models. When we were checking prices with different dealers, one of the dealers insisted I could only use xxx amount towards the purchase. I had their finance person call the GM card center for verification and they found out they were wrong.

Our old card gives 5% of purchases up to $500.00 a year to be earned. I'm not sure what the new cards allow. Several years ago GM card was pushing hard to have everyone switch to the new version, but we refused to. I think I am capped at 7 years of earnings ($3500.00)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
GM Card has a special in January that increased our earnings to $2K for any model. We had $2790 available in stored up credits, but the Traverse is usually capped at $1500. Our card allows for 3% unlimited for 7 years, but caps the earnings...which just means I will take the unspent earnings and convert them to cash. The $2K allowance, plus the $1K allowance for owner loyalty is part of why we jumped and BOUGHT THE CAR :-D
We take possession on Tuesday, once our credit union opens, and we can sign all the paperwork. They gave us $1500 for our 1999 GMC Jimmy SLE, which was more than I expected, so we got a 1LT, MSRP $34120 for $25399 +TTL after the demo markdown, and $5K of rebates. The trade goes a long way towards the TTL, so we're where we wanted to be. I felt we were getting a good deal going in, but now I feel we got a great deal.
How cool is that? The folks at Bryan Chevy, Metairie LA were pretty cool, and I would recommend that anyone interested call Johnny Malone at 504-466-6000. The internet mgr is Jennifer Belisle, and both were very helpful in making this purchase :)
Once I have the final buyer's order, I'll add all the details to my profile. They wouldn't negotiate on a extended warranty past the 36/3, which is no worry, since we tend to put a lot of miles on our vehicles commuting. Our 99 Jimmy lasted for 11 years, and would probably last 4 more, except we need more space. I am confident to get at least 10 years or more out of this one.
Now, can anyone recommend a good place (other than ebay) to get all of the aftermarket accessories? I need a hitch, crossrails for the luggage rack, a cargo net, and a cargo cover. If y'all have other ideas of things we may need, please suggest.
Before going down there, I said a prayer asking God that even though I felt this was a great deal going into the dealer, only with His blessing would we purchase. Well, I felt that we had His blessing. Thanks to all of you for your suggestions and help :) I aappreciate it!

·
Registered
186 Posts
CONGRATS! Wish you all the best on your purchase. Be careful on the roof rails - make sure to get the c-channels also. As far as where to get your parts, look for a discount GM parts supplier - I wouldn't go for non-GM parts. The internet is an awesome tool - use it to get the best prices! Good luck! :cheers:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks y'all for all the advice.
This is the stats of our deal:
2011 Traverse w/ 1LT Black, 7 passenger seating, Personal Connectivity Package, Rearview Camera Package
$34,120 MSRP
demo w/ 4300 miles
paid $24,949 minus trade (2000 GMC Jimmy SLE), plus TTL
I found a GM Parts dealer on ebay. If I buy through him, I will post his details on this thread.

·
Registered
186 Posts
10 grand off? I'm bringing you with me next time. :thumb:

·
Registered
11,426 Posts
if I understood- that 10K off = 4300 miles + trade in right?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My wife is loving the car! It does need to be filled up more often than the Jimmy did, but the safety factor is worthwhile, and she does enjoy the blutooth.
We ordered our parts through the ebay store: chevypartsguys
They are the parts department of Kendall Auto in Eugene Oregon. We got the cargo net, cargo shade, and luggage rack c-channels and cross rails from them. Now, I only need to find a hitch. Any suggestions?
As for the price, We had the owner loyalty of $1000, the standard GM rebate of $2000, and the GM Card bonus earnings incentive of $2000. The original markdown was from $34,120 to $30,099. So, that put us at $25,099 with the $5K in rebates I just mentioned. Then we got $1500 for our trade, dropping us to $23,599.
With TTL, notary, and a questionable administration fee, they wanted $26,449, and didn't want to budge.
After a little more talking, we walked out the door at $25,699...only $750 more, but I've noticed that with that dealership's new ads, that they will sell an LS for $25K, and we got an LT with only 4300 miles for less than that :)
My wife commutes daily to work, so 4300 miles is about 2.5 months of driving.
At least I feel we can get 250K or more miles out of this car :)
My advice to anyone...RESEARCH! Also, it helps to buy through the internet department, because the trail of emails and documentation saved me $2000 off the top...the salesman had a different price than what I had previously negotiated. I think he was rattled after that.

·
Registered
11,426 Posts
pretty cool
glad shes liking it.

As for the hitch...
read the threads on here... theres some aftermarket hitches that stick out a little- and the cover will not close. leaving you with an exposed hitch.
There is 1 that someone here installed that allows the cover to close ok.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts