Traverse Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of pulling the trigger on a Traverse 150 miles from my house. This unit would have the heavy duty cooling/towing package included. I'd be on the interstate which is pretty flat with no bridges to go over. Wife doesn't want to go with me to purchase unless she KNOWS I'm buying the vehicle, but there's no telling with me, so I was thinking: could I tow my car home with the Traverse? It would probably be the Impala (3400 lbs curb weight). Ideally, I could resurrect the Colt - at only 2000 lbs, that would be a piece of cake for the Traverse, I would think, but I'd have to reinstall the fuel pump, gas tank, and who knows what else to get it going again.

What would I use - a tow dolley from U-Haul? I don't think there wouldn't be any restrictions against using one on this stretch of road (like there would be in parts of NY and NJ). Does the dolley require anything special on the car being towed, or do you just drive it on and strap it up?

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
NO- dont do it.

If youre buying a NEW traverse-- then DONT tow with it until youve broken in the engine.
I believe the manual states no towing when breaking in

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
looked it up...
sure does say under the NEW vehicle break in--- DO NOT TOW while in break in period.

this would be related to engine and also brake pads etc...

·
Registered
78 Posts
I bought mine from a dealer about that far away. What I did was rent a car one-way (paid for economy but ended up getting a new decked-out impala). I found more places allow one-way rentals between airports. Another option would have been taking a bus.

·
Registered
112 Posts
The wife wont spend a few hours in the car with you?

Maybe you need a new one of those too! ;D

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, you're right ... bad idea to tow during break-in.

I considered the one-way rental, too, but the rates were high and it would be incovenient to the dealership ... and like I said, no telling if I actually make the purchase.

As far as the wife not spending time in the car with me, we've been doing LONG drives up and down the East Coast for 15 years now. She's paid her dues. Plus, she knows my M.O. when it comes to making a car purchase: it's a L-O-N-G, drawn-out process that starts a year before my GM dollars max out and (in the case of this upcoming purchase) can extend a year beyond the GM dollars max out! It's a background task that can extend across 3 years!

This one will COULD enter the 3rd year next year but will definitely end by Feb 1 because that's when I'm going to lose THREE months worth of points all at once and I just can't let that happen...

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Get the dealer ship to deliver it they will do allot of things to sell a car trust me.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Re: Re: Buy Traverse with Towing Option, Tow my car home?

I bet if you ask them to come pick you up and if you tell them its a guaranteed sale, they would do it...

Sent from my Galaxy S using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
drive up there... check it out-- if youre gonna buy it-- tell them--- Ill sign the papers tomm... BUT I need a ride- I live 150 miles away..... can you pick me up?

·
Registered
551 Posts
Gibby said:
The wife wont spend a few hours in the car with you?

Maybe you need a new one of those too! ;D
That made me laugh ;D

Just some things you have to do that you dont want to, I have spent too many hours in a mall that I would rather be at home! Get your book ready honey, your going on a road trip!

·
Registered
202 Posts
lol, this is a funny thread! :D

What a wife you have! Maybe she has too many chores to do, like Cinderella. :eek:hno: j/k

Got some other ideas for you to consider:

Maybe find a friend who wants to take a day trip, and buy him a 6 pack of beer (after you're both home, of course!) for his trouble/gas-money/etc. At least he will stay and drink the beer with you while watching the game. Wives that do that are very few and far between. :cheers: :beer:

If you have a dealership that is much closer to you, you can go to that dealership and ask them to do a local transfer. That way THEY work out the details of getting the truck the 150 miles away to your local dealership... no hardship on your person as a result. Usually the two dealerships make a "trade" where they take one similarly equipped truck from their lot, drive it to the far dealership, and then drive yours home. This assumes that you have no "loyalty" to your 150-mile-away-salesman, as your local dealership salesman would be the one making the commission on this sale, not the other guy. Both my car and my wife's 11 traverse were local trades with exactly the color and options we were looking for. And at a dealership that is 5 minutes away!!

I also agree with the "put down a deposit on it, and if you're sure that's the one you will buy, ask the dealer to pick you up". But then how would your salesman get back to the dealership? lol. Nothing like 150 (dealership to your house) + 150 (both go back to sign the paperwork, arrange financing, etc) + 150 (alone time when you've already bought your truck and now am headed home.

450 miles in the first day of ownership of your new truck?! :confused: :happy:

At least you won't have to bring the wife along. lol

Good luck!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts