Traverse Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to purchase a Bug Guard/Deflector for our LT2 and was wondering if any one knows or has pictures of that it looks like on the vehicle. Is it short i.e. just a wide as the hood or does it extend to the headlights. I already have one small chip on our Black paint and want to stop any more. I have found one site that sells it for 57.00 + shipping...

Your thoughts.

·
Registered
417 Posts
=gm]http://www.gmaccessorieszone.com/accessories_details/vehicle_search/Chevrolet/2009/Traverse/Molded%20Hood%20Protector/?tx_gmshopb2b_pi1[type]=gm

My advice, don't get one of the deflectors. If you need protection look into that 3M covering that covers flushly with the paint. The reason is a deflector like this will create a LOT of wind drag. This will cause a noticable drop in gas milage, and maybe cause a lot of wind noise. The 3M covers have their own issues too, but less of a problem IMHO.

http://www.clearmask.com/
http://www.autopaintguard.com/
many more... Google 'til you find one that'll do a Traverse.

Personally, I've learned to live with the realization that nothing lasts forever. I've had 2 vehicles re-painted in the past to keep them looking good. But, paint is really getting expensive now. :(

·
Registered
185 Posts
Has anyone ever seen the Ziebart Clear-Shield product in use? => Dealer admitted to only doing "a few" and it is the 3m product anyways. I decided to go with a 3m mobile installer who comes to the house and has been doing it for over 10 years. Only doing the front bumper kit and the two mirrors for $325 (too much paint on the front for my liking to leave exposed).
Keeping it a long, long time. Putting a bug deflector on the hood Tuesday after the 3m sheets are installed monday. Deflector cheaper than the 3m sheets for the hood. Worried about seeing the wax seams on the hood with only the partial hood treatment and do not want to pay the expense to cover the whole hood at this time. We shall see how it all turns out. Yellowing issue after 3+ years? hopefully fixed with new film released about 2 yrs ago per installer...

·
Registered
185 Posts
Wife got the 3m clear bra installed on the front bumper, mirrors and lights yesterday. Today she gets her bug shield. A little bit of both worlds...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
t4me,

Can you post some picts when all is done. I have a black one what color is yours. Would love to see how it looks.

·
Registered
185 Posts
This weekend I will post some pics under the silver traverse pics topic if I get time.

The bug deflector is the gm deflector in smoke. Wife liked that it mounted via screws to the underneath of the hood. Our WeatherTech on the Venture minivan was the doublestick tape that has started coming unglued after 5 years. Unfortunately, the bug deflector stops pretty much where the lights start - leaving that area of the hood that drops down about an inch or so going over to the lights and each side of the hood totally exposed. The sunroof guard/visor is double-sticked to the roof as expected and the four window guards are all double-sticked to the outside of the window frame. The WeatherTechs on the venture are pushed up into the window track frame with no gluing, but I am not sure that is possible with this vehicle (track looks smaller to me?). Let me know if anyone sees non-double-stick tape window guards out there. Wife loves the ride now with all the smoked color accessories in place. Amazing turnaround from "silver _ucks".

Wife liked the 3m clear bra so much on the bumper and mirrors that she is insisting on it for the hood. The installer took 3.5 hours to get the front bumper and mirrors done including the use of a hair dryer to work the edges in good. You have to stand right ontop of the crossover to see the few stress cuts in the sheets. Taking a wait and see approach to (a) old sheets yellowing after x-years, (b) edges of sheets peeling up after y-years, (c) removing sheets yield a different color paint than the exposed paint color. Our silver is supposed to be a very forgiving color. 3m warranty against yellowing for 5 years, blah blah blah. Told wife she is peeling all of this off with her hairdryer (I have very little hair) if and when she is not happy with it and she is cool with that (YEA, right... I know).

The hood and lights (don't tell the government who has regulations against covering the lights!) will be covered Sunday. Don't want any pits in those massive headlamps. Need to see my bowtie on my light bulb... My "canvasback" cloth mat will be put in over the weekend as well and my Ziebart Diamond Gloss will be applied a week from tomorrow (03/27). For those who are dead-set against these paint protection scenerios, I swear by it and it works for me with this making the fourth car getting the treatment. Maybe the factory clearcoat has improved, but I get very little if any fading of my paint color over 5-10 year periods and NEVER ever wax to get the beads of water after every rain. Thats good enough for me. At least until my 5 and 7 year olds start to wash the ride!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts