Traverse Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We should finally be picking up our Traverse this afternoon (very, very long story) and I was wondering if there is any kind of break-in period on these engines. I know when I bought my Avalanche almost two years ago the dealership told me no. Just thought I would pose the question and see.

Thanks.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Should be 500 miles of light driving. The owners manual will tell you, atleast that's how it was for my 07' and 09' Outlook's.

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
Id do what the manual says. 500 miles of light driving...not staying at 1 speed for too long. etc. no hard braking...
Ive seen similar post on other websites... Some owners claim they drive the car like theyll drive it the rest of its life.
Ive seen other post where the owners take the car right off the lot and do I think something like 0-60 runs over and over..
So you will see several recommendations.
When I broke in my 03 Trailblazer- I drove it just like the manual recommended. 139,000 miles later-- the engine still purrs like nothing-
Id like to think it was because of the gentle break in. And I have continued to drive the car sensibly. This engine has only had the waterpump changed and the Spark plugs at 101,000. Everything else on the engine is factory. I also follow the Oil life monitor and get 10-11,500 miles between changes. I think my 1st oil change was done with 6000 miles on the clock... but every change after that has been using the OLM.

·
Registered
79 Posts
woyster_09trav said:
We should finally be picking up our Traverse this afternoon (very, very long story) and I was wondering if there is any kind of break-in period on these engines. I know when I bought my Avalanche almost two years ago the dealership told me no. Just thought I would pose the question and see.
If you have the AWD there is a break in process recommended in the manual to help reduce gear noise of the various AWD components during the vehicle life.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I remember the manual saying there was only a break in period for the AWD model, which is what I have. The instructions were basically, 500 miles, don't go one speed for too long, and keep it under 55 mph.

The first two were no problem. However, try keeping your speed under 55 mph in southern california. You'll get run over real fast. So, I had to break from that one. I'm at like 490 miles now.

- Joe

·
Registered
72 Posts
The general consensus is, for the first 500 miles don't drive it like you stole it and try not to set the cruise.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts