• No

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am new here!!! I just dropped my 2016 traverse off at dealer. I need brakes & rotors they quoted $601.00 is that too high??? Wow I only had car for 6 month bought used 45000 miles... Last month they replaced the water pump but that was under warranty.. They also did alignment & tire rotation for 200.00. Am I getting ripped off?

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
So $150/wheel. Looking at Autozone, rotors run about $75-85 per wheel, pads look like about $15/wheel. Add another $8-10 in tax. So say about $100/wheel in parts, $50/wheel labor. Doesn't seem TOO outlandish to me.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Is that for all 4 wheels? Not too bad considering it is dealer work. They will use all quality GM parts so need to worry about sub standard parts. I just did my own brakes using ceramic pads from Advance Auto Parts, they are leaving some brake dust on the wheels which I am not too happy about. The OEM pads didn't leave dust.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
If it is for the 4 wheels and include new rotors, pads and labour you have a deal. Rotors alone are very expensive on the Traverse.

·
Registered
11,224 Posts
are you in the Rust Belt?

Im at 153,000 and still on factory rotors front and rear. (CA car)

Still on factory rear pads too.

So--- some aggresive driving?
What was the reason you had the brakes checked out?

·
Registered
471 Posts
$600 for all 4 corners isn't too outlandish IMO.

Quick glance on Rock Auto looks like pads/rotors for the coated kit covering all 4 is $222. Say over $250 or so with shipping and tax. $350 for the labor and tax? You could do worse. But that's also why I do my own work.

They really should have at least thrown in the rotation for free, I mean they're taking the **** tires off the car anyway.

I do question if they needed to be done at 45k. I think I waited til ~65k on our '10 before I did them and the fronts were still decent, while the rears had plenty of pad left. We're at 55k right now and 5k miles ago still had plenty of pad to go.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's only for rear I took it from the deal to my mechanic he is using Gm parts and only charging me 300.00 and he said he doesn't believe they did the alignment last month based off of my tires!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I only had the car for 6 months. I guess I use the brakes alot living in NJ! lol More defensive driving.. It sounded like metal on metal noise.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I am in NJ also. My 2015 was hanging up, looked like corrosion on the pad slides and they weren't releasing fully. I got to mine before I needed new rotors.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I bought AC Delco front rotors and ceramic pads on amazon for $150. Would be close to double by adding rear, so $300 for GM parts and $300 for labor is not to terrible

I do my own labor so I save that cost.

so $600 total is a ok

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm in line with the others, doesn't seem too bad. The dealer quoted closer to $800 on my 2013 Traverse. I did the work myself with ~middle of the line rotors and ceramic pads from Advance Auto Parts and I believe I still had a little over $300 into it. But like others said, it wasn't something needed that early in the life of the vehicle. We primarily use the vehicle in a city setting during the school year along with some camper towing in the summer, so overall probably tougher on the brakes than the average user, and I think I did the brake replacement closer to 80k miles.

Also I'm used to paying ~$100 for alignment, but just front end I believe. If you have AWD and got 4-wheel alignment, 200 makes sense.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi I am new here!!! I just dropped my 2016 traverse off at dealer. I need brakes & rotors they quoted $601.00 is that too high??? Wow I only had car for 6 month bought used 45000 miles... Last month they replaced the water pump but that was under warranty.. They also did alignment & tire rotation for 200.00. Am I getting ripped off?
oldbiker1

·
Registered
86 Posts
Brakes are easy! Do some Google research. You'd be surprised how many step by step videos are out there for every type of car, SUV, truck... I've taken the opportunity (after learning myself to save money) to teach my sons how to do basic maintenance on cars. Here's a few shots of my nine year old changing pads and rotors, wheel bearings and at ten years old an alternator on his mother's GMC Yukon. My goal is to break their fear so they can work on their own cars when they're young (and broke). They can even make some side cash fixing their friends cars someday... because I know their dads aren't teaching them!

Attachments

·
Registered
480 Posts
Good to see I'm not the only one, my 6 year old has helped me install side steps on the Pilot and Traverse and has watched me do oil changes... I haven't taken it far enough to get her oily and dirty yet but she has no issues laying on the garage floor and getting her hands dirty... we will see about the younger two...

I really want to have someone interested enough in cars that they can work on old cars with me and take them over one day when I'm much older!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts