Traverse Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I had to slam on my brakes to avoid a collision. Once I stopped, my car would not move when I stepped on the gas. I discovered my brake pedal was stuck to the floor. I tried putting my car in park and back in drive but my car wouldn't move. A kind stranger tried to help me push it with it in neutral but it would not move. After about 7-8 minutes, the brake pedal popped up on its own while my car was in drive & started to roll. It seems ok now. I went to the dealership & they said it sounded like my ABS locked up but not to worry unless it happens again. This makes me a little nervous. Does anyone have any input?

·
Registered
616 Posts
did the dealer not do a scan for possible codes, they think its the ABS locking up, what if it's not the ABS.
Master cylinder with air ?
I would take it to another dealer for a second opinion.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2015 Traverse with 13,000 miles. The other evening I was driving someone to their car around the block and after I backed and went down a small hill and tried to brake to turn there was no brake pedal where it was supposed to be! I didn't think to hit the floor. We were hardly moving so I put in neutral and didn't turn and put in neutral and pulled parking brake. One I put in park and turned off and re-started magically the pedal was back in place and seemed to be working. I do hear hissing when depressing the brake now and then and the pedal does push down far on occasion. I took it to two chevy dealerships which could not duplicate and had them call GM technical assistance who removed master cylinder I think it was and check for leak. I have to drive it; it is my only car, but I do drive highways in a busy metropolitan area with speed limits of 65.

I am afraid it won't brake when I need it to. Has anyone had this issue and if resolved, what was found?

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Lea said:
I have a 2015 Traverse with 13,000 miles. The other evening I was driving someone to their car around the block and after I backed and went down a small hill and tried to brake to turn there was no brake pedal where it was supposed to be!....... I do hear hissing when depressing the brake now and then and the pedal does push down far on occasion. I took it to two chevy dealerships which could not duplicate and had them call GM technical assistance who removed master cylinder I think it was and check for leak. I have to drive it; it is my only car, but I do drive highways in a busy metropolitan area with speed limits of 65.

I am afraid it won't brake when I need it to. Has anyone had this issue and if resolved, what was found?
Brake pedal not where it is supposed to be high or low? If high with a hard pedal, limited power assist and hard stopping might be a vacuum leak in the power booster, low may be a leaking wheel cylinder or more likely an internal leak in the master cylinder which will not show external leakage. When parked, before starting the vehicle press the brake pedal a few times to exhaust the vacuum assist reservoir, then keeping pressure on the pedal, start the engine and the pedal should drop to the normal braking position. failure could be a leak in the vacuum booster or vacuum line.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just looking and see my post from 2015 at 13,000 miles. My brake issue was that when I started car in parking lot in dark and went to break on a hill the break pedal must have been stuck to the floor. I couldn't find the brake pedal but didn't try the floor for goodness sake. Luckily I was hardly moving. When I parked and stopped and re-started everything seemed fine. I never got a resolution though it was looked over well by two chevy places. I now have 69,000 miles on it and have not had that issue again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts