Traverse Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, the wheels on the traverse are very easy to clean. But the inside, not so much. So I bought a similar-to-Mothers brake dust brush to try and clean the inside of the wheel. Turns out the brakes are too big for the brush to fit. So I wanted to know what you guys use to clean the inside if you do? Or if you just take the wheels off completely and give it a full on scrub.
Thanks
Mason

·
Registered
272 Posts
I am going to clean mine in the spring. I'll probably just use a soft bristle brush. Anything other than that probably won't do that great of a job. After breaking the dust loose with soap and a brush you can probably use a sponge or something. Just remember, whatever you use don't touch another part of the car with it. Keep it just for the inside of the wheels.

·
Registered
34 Posts
That is one reason why I rotate my own tires. While I have them off for that I scrub the inside of all the wheels.

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
This may be a snowbelt thing---
But I have NEVER washed the inside rim area of my tires. (Even on my trailblazer).
I always clean the outside of the rubber tire with ajax--- and the outside (visible part) with simple green and a wet and dry rag.
Here in Los Angeles- we dont have the salts you guys do....

But- the underside of the vehicle stays very clean actually.
On the Trailblazer/Envoy forum- I posted pics of the underside (by the spare tire mechanism)----with 140,000+ miles and 6+ yrs old-
a few of the posters were amazed at how clean and rust free the underside was.
One of them said- if youd showed me that picture- and asked me to guess the age (if that vehicle was driven in the snowbelt)- Id have said that car was recently driven off the lot........

But--- at least 1 time a year- I do lower the spare in the Trailblazer- wash the rim and rubber- and air it up.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah it was a soft bristle brush but I think the rod for the bristles was too big to fit between the wheel holes and the brake disc. Even worse with the caliper.

And not too much salt here. Just the dirt is everywhere. So it gets...everywhere

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
rbarrios said:
This may be a snowbelt thing---
But I have NEVER washed the inside rim area of my tires. (Even on my trailblazer).
I always clean the outside of the rubber tire with ajax--- and the outside (visible part) with simple green and a wet and dry rag.
Here in Los Angeles- we dont have the salts you guys do....

But- the underside of the vehicle stays very clean actually.
On the Trailblazer/Envoy forum- I posted pics of the underside (by the spare tire mechanism)----with 140,000+ miles and 6+ yrs old-
a few of the posters were amazed at how clean and rust free the underside was.
One of them said- if youd showed me that picture- and asked me to guess the age (if that vehicle was driven in the snowbelt)- Id have said that car was recently driven off the lot........

But--- at least 1 time a year- I do lower the spare in the Trailblazer- wash the rim and rubber- and air it up.
You're missing the best part of the snowbelt.

When driving through deep snow .... the snow packs on the inside of the wheels, then ices up .....then the wheels are out of balance, so ..... if and when you can get back to posted speeds, the car shakes and vibrates. :banghead:

The fix? Going to a car wash, taking the spray wand and cleaning the inside of the wheels, melting the ice chunks that were living on the insides of the wheels. :happy:

Bob

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
Id never thought about that....
But I can see how it can happen

·
Super Moderator
2,043 Posts
bobg1951chevy said:

When driving through deep snow .... the snow packs on the inside of the wheels, then ices up .....then the wheels are out of balance, so ..... if and when you can get back to posted speeds, the car shakes and vibrates. :banghead:

The fix? Going to a car wash, taking the spray wand and cleaning the inside of the wheels, melting the ice chunks that were living on the insides of the wheels. :happy:

Bob

:thumb:

I know exactly what you mean!! Especially parking it in the garage at night, the snow in the rim melts, and puddles to the bottom of the rim. As temp of the garage drops overnight, the puddle freezes. Doesn't happen too often, but its REALLY annoying when it does.

·
Registered
25 Posts
bobg1951chevy said:

Bob

Boy you got that right Bob , happened to me with my 98 Dodge Dakota . And boy did it shake . Mine got packed with snow on the outer sides of the wheels but did the same thing . Felt like it was shaking apart . :eek:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts