Traverse Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,629 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I ordered the Tekonsha P3 brake controller and the wiring harness specific to my 2017 Traverse. I do have the factory tow package installed. Is it truly as easy to install as Tekonsha says? Literally plug and play? Can’t wait to get it so I can install it. I’ve heard the wire might be difficult to find. Is there a panel I pop off somewhere under the driver’s side dash? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
I ordered the Tekonsha P3 brake controller and the wiring harness specific to my 2017 Traverse. I do have the factory tow package installed. Is it truly as easy to install as Tekonsha says? Literally plug and play? Can’t wait to get it so I can install it. I’ve heard the wire might be difficult to find. Is there a panel I pop off somewhere under the driver’s side dash? Thanks!
Yes, plug and play. The connector is taped up near the emergency brake pedal. Here's a pic of the one on my 2011; don't have a pic of the 2017.

1st pic - taped up; 2nd pic - cut free; 3rd pic - P3 connector plugged in

You can see the emergency brake cable connected to the pedal at the far left side of the pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just connected to the blunt cut wires in my 2018. The Red wire was hot, but only when the ignition was ON. I have an issue with which fuse is connected to the Red wire. Looking at the engine compartment fuse panel, F22 is labeled "Electronic Brake Control Module". It's 30 amps, which is what I expected. However, when I remove the F22 fuse, there is still power to the Red wire. Any idea which fuse is the correct one?

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Just connected to the blunt cut wires in my 2018. The Red wire was hot, but only when the ignition was ON. I have an issue with which fuse is connected to the Red wire. Looking at the engine compartment fuse panel, F22 is labeled "Electronic Brake Control Module". It's 30 amps, which is what I expected. However, when I remove the F22 fuse, there is still power to the Red wire. Any idea which fuse is the correct one?
I don't know if the 2nd gen is similar to the 1st gen, but I've attached marked up schematics of the 1st gen. See page 4 for the brake controller. I think you want the fuse labelled "TRLR PWR." Electronic Brake Control is probably for the car, not the trailer.

I also attached a "simplified" version that another forum member made from my markup.

Hope it helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
All,

I installed a brake controller on my 2019 Traverse 3LT and the brake pedal switch would not activate the trailer brakes. We took it to a mechanic and he couldn't get a signal off of any of the wires coming from the brake pedal switch. 2 hours later and $120 we still had no answer for this issue. We were using the factory "blunt cut wires" and still nothing. The emergency slide lever works but the brake pedal wouldn't apply the trailer brakes.

We had the dealership install a factory tow package and were told it was going to come with a flat 4. Instead we showed up and it came with a round 7. I thought i was in luck but no we used a tester and we have no trailer brake power signal when pressing the brakes. I can't find any information on the factory wiring underneath the rear bumper cover. Do they only give you 4 wires from the wiring harness or does it truly have all 7? The Chevy dealer said they do not install aftermarket brake controllers for the 2019 Traverse and I now know why.......

Since no other options worked we went with the blue tooth $240 wireless brake controller. Still no trailer brakes are applied when pressing on the brakes. Only when you hit the button on your phone. I also found that the trailer brakes were only being powered by the trailer batteries and not being powered from the car? I have towed the trailer with a 2019 F250 and the factory brake controller works with the trailer. So we can eliminate that the trailer has faulty wiring.

So i guess my only option is to run a power wire and a brake switch wire from the engine compartment to the rear of the car? We are towing a travel trailer that weighs 4,950GVW which is pushing the 5,000GVW capacity of our V6 model. Trying to avoid getting a Tahoe (more money) or a new trailer (more money).

We can buy a new hitch that comes with a surge brake controller on it but we lose the anti sway and leveling bars on our hitch package.

Please someone help because this is killing all our camping trips!!!

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Start with the basics - Did you check to see that they installed the trailer brake fuse in the underhood fuse & relay box?

Have you verified that the 7-pin harness is fully inserted into the electrical connector behind the left rear wheel? On the Gen 1's, this connector was behind the right rear wheel, up inside the rear quarter panel, and was VERY difficult to get to; you had to plug it in "one-handed." I believe the Gen 2 is easier to get to, but it still may not have gotten fully engaged.

Is the brake controller itself working?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes trailer brake controller works but only gets power from the trailer. There is no 12v source to the rear to power the trailer brake. What fuse do we need in the fuse box for the trailer brake controller? When I installed it on the 4 blunt cut wires it work too. Just didn't send a brake signal to activate trailer brakes. There is no 12v for the trailer brakes in the 7 pin in the tow package when you hit the brakes.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
I don't know what you mean by "only gets power from the trailer." There shouldn't be any power coming "from" the trailer.

I can't speak to the 2nd gen's, but on the 1st gen's, there were FIVE wires. Red/Black is 12VDC, should always be ON (it's supplied by a 30 amp TRLR BRK fuse in the underhood fuse box - which was NOT supplied unless you actually purchased the V92 tow package). White comes from the brake switch to tell the controller you're stepping on the brakes, Grey is a lighting feed, Dark Blue is the brake controller power back to the 7-pin connector and Black is ground. While it's possible the 2nd gen's MIGHT use different colors, I would expect them to be the same.

Note that there are other fuses you will probably need to add, like the TRLR PWR fuse to supply 12VDC to your trailer's battery, TRLR PARK LAMP to supply the trailer's running lights, LT TRLR STOP/TURN and RT TRLR STOP/TURN for the trailers left and right turn signals and stop lights, and TRLR BCK/UP for the trailers backup lights, if it has them (most don't).

I've attached a highlighted PDF of the 1st gen wiring and a very nice simplified one-page version that another member made based on my drawing.

Attachments

21 - 30 of 30 Posts