Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching everywhere for any information on installing a brake controller on the 2019 Traverse. I found the blunt cut wires, but I also found the owners manual that says I need to "have a technician connect the battery feed wire to the engine compartment fuse box." I tested the blunt cut wires and there doesn't seem to be any power coming from the hot wire, which seems consistent with the statement in the manual, but I cannot find any information about what actually needs to be done, and none of the dealers around here are any help, because none of them have any idea how to install a brake controller either. The one service department didn't even know what a brake controller was.

I know there are people on here who tow. How have you installed your brake controllers? Did you do it yourself? Did the dealer do it for you? Any idea how to get the hot wire fed to the fuse box?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They have multiple answers on their site from their "experts" that give the wrong information. I suppose it couldn't hurt to ask a new question and see if they've learned the correct info since they answered those previous questions, though.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
U haul doesn't install brake controllers. Only hitches. Talked to them with our last vehicle we installed a brake controller on.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, PM sent. Etrailer replied and said they have no info on the 2019, but the 2018 didn't require any connection to the fuse box.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Just sent you info, but it's for the 1st gen. I thought you were revpeach (he has a 2015), so it may not help you much. BUT: I suspect that the info I sent you for the brake controller is still applicable, except you'll have to splice the controller wiring and install some fuses/relays. I highly doubt the dealer has to do anything other than fuses and relays.

·
Registered
11,174 Posts
This reminds me of the issues the 1st models had when they debuted back in 07-08.
Fuse boxes had to be swapped etc.

not saying these do... but just thinking about those threads.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The fuse box has fuses for a brake controller, but I don't know if the brake controller hot wire is actually connected to it. I'm going to try getting a better connection with my multimeter tonight and see if I can get a voltage read.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
On Chevy's trucks (Silverado) they have an external connection to the fuse box for the brake controller wires. The 1st gen Traverses don't have that, everything is already wired in a harness. I suspect the 2nd gen will be the same.

When you say your 2nd gen "has fuses," I'm assuming you mean it has fuse locations, but no fuses are installed?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nope, there are actually fuses installed for all the towing components. A 30 amp for the controller, and 3 smaller fuses for lights.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
I'm betting if you hook up the controller, you'll be good to go. The first gen had some similar words, but if you had the tow package, all you needed to do was add the fuses and relays. If you didn't have the tow package, you had to replace the fuse and relay box for models earlier than early 2012. For later models, just add fuses and relays.

I guess you'll have to figure it out and let us know.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm going to give it a try when I get a chance (hopefully tonight). It's easy enough to crimp the wires together to find out.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Assuming they haven't changed their wiring colors, the RD/BK wire should be the power wire. You should be able to see 12VDC on it to the ground wire (BK), provided you've got the fuse installed. See the wiring diagram I sent you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've been towing with a Traverse 2014 since buying it new. Had the factory tow package. Using etrailer cables and Prodigy 2 controller, it was plug and play.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
I've been towing with a Traverse 2014 since buying it new. Had the factory tow package. Using etrailer cables and Prodigy 2 controller, it was plug and play.
Yes, but 2nd gen is different. We know the under dash connector has been deleted, with only pigtails remaining. The rear connector is in a different location. Don't know much more than that (at least I don't).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just wanted to give an update for anyone who finds this post. Greentraverse was right, the manual is full of crap. There are no additional connections to be made after connecting the pigtailed wires to the brake controller. Maybe that statement in the manual is intended for if you don't have the V92 tow package, but it doesn't say any such thing. Anyway with our 2019 High Country with the V92 tow package, all I had to do was wire the brake controller harness to the pigtails, and it works.

For those having trouble finding the wires, they are taped to the back of another wire hidden behind it. Just reach behind and you should feel them back there. You'll need to cut the tape to pull them out so you can work with them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am just getting started on getting a factory controller but get different answers from dealer and customer assistance so trying to go up the GM ladder

1 - 20 of 30 Posts