Traverse Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my 2018 Chevy Traverse LT with trailering package and want to install my brake controller.
Owner's manual says the body harness under the driver's side dash contains blunt cut wires for brake controller hook-up. If they are there, they are very well hidden. Anyone have any experience with the 2018?Thanks.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Probably a lie. My 2011 and 2017 Owners manual both say the same thing.

There's probably a 6-wire connector taped up near the parking brake pedal.

Here's a pic of the one on my 2011 taped up by the parking brake pedal.

Check that you have the required fuses installed. You need:

TRLR BCK/UP - Trailer reverse lamps
TRLR BRK - Trailer brake lamps
RT TRLR STOP/TRN - RIght trailer stoplamp/Turn signal lamp
LF TRLR STOP/TRN - Left trailer stoplamp/Turn signal lamp
TRLR PRK LAMP - Trailer parking lamps
TRLR PWR - Trailer Power

Also relays:
LT TRLR STOP/TURN - Left trailer stoplamp/Turn signal lamp
RT TRLR STOP/TURN - Right trailer stoplamp/Turn signal lamp
TRLR BCK/UP - Trailer reverse lamp

See the Vehicle Care section of your owners manual for the locations.

The Prodigy P3 is one of the best controllers out there. You can order it with a GM specific wire harness from etrailer.com

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks greentraverse. All fuses and relays present. No sign of anything like the connector on your 2011. ( I have no parking brake pedal).

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Thanks greentraverse. All fuses and relays present. No sign of anything like the connector on your 2011. ( I have no parking brake pedal).
No parking brake? They must have gone to one of those "electric" ones? (Another reason I wouldn't want a new Traverse, I guess.)

You need to look around, but I bet there's a connector up under there somewhere.

Because if there's no connector, there should still be the "blunt cut wires" (aka "pigtails") they say are there in the owners manual.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here's the information from my 2017 Owner's manual:
Electric Trailer Brake Control Wiring Provisions
These wiring provisions for an electric trailer brake controller are included with the vehicle as part of the trailer wiring package. The instrument panel contains blunt cut wires above the parking brake assembly for the electric trailer brake controller. The harness contains the following wires:
. Red/Black: Power Supply
. White: Brake Switch Signal
. Gray: Illumination
. Dark Blue: Trailer Brake Signal
. Black: Ground
The electric trailer brake controller should be installed by your dealer or a qualified service center. I couldn't visually verify this. There's a plastic panel covering that area, underneath.

My 2017 does have a traditional parking brake pedal.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Here's the information from my 2017 Owner's manual:
Electric Trailer Brake Control Wiring Provisions
These wiring provisions for an electric trailer brake controller are included with the vehicle as part of the trailer wiring package. The instrument panel contains blunt cut wires above the parking brake assembly for the electric trailer brake controller. The harness contains the following wires:
. Red/Black: Power Supply
. White: Brake Switch Signal
. Gray: Illumination
. Dark Blue: Trailer Brake Signal
. Black: Ground
The electric trailer brake controller should be installed by your dealer or a qualified service center. I couldn't visually verify this. There's a plastic panel covering that area, underneath.

My 2017 does have a traditional parking brake pedal.
These are the exact words from both my 2011 Owners Manual and my 2017 Owners Manual. I know for sure my 2011 had the connector, as I used it. I've hooked up my 7-pin wiring harness on my 2017, but I have not yet felt the need to hook up a brake controller so I haven't actually verified that it's there, but I'm 99% confident (never say never!) that it is. I will check when my wife brings it home tomorrow night.

I have provided tow package addition info to a number of people with 2017's over the last few months and none of them have responded to me to say that the connector is NOT there.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Here's the brake controller connector on my 2017 Traverse:
Brake controller connector #1a.jpg
Brake controller connector #2a.jpg

You have to remove the 3 retaining pins like this one and pull out the panel under the dash to get to it. Grab the head of the pin with a pair of pliers and pull straight out.
Retainer under dashboard a.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No under dash panel on completely redesigned 2018 Traverse. Remains a mystery. Service department is puzzled.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
One more reason I'm glad I went with a 2017 and didn't wait for the 2018.

Thanks, Chevy, you cheapskates.

·
Registered
5 Posts

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
I hooked up my brake controller to the 4 blunt cut wires and the brake switch caple doesnt have a signal?
A number of folks have reported hooking up their brake controllers on Gen 2's with no issues.

But at least 2 people have reported no brake pedal signal from the BCM on Gen 2's. One of them claimed Chevy was no help; he had a truck place run a separate wire from the 3rd brake light to the controller.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts