Traverse Forum banner

Bob's Magnetic 6 & 9 Speed Transmission and TX Case / Rear Diff Drain Plugs.....

8K views 43 replies 8 participants last post by  AlisoBob 
#1 · (Edited)
The Neodymium magnets showed up yesterday. They are ridiculously strong. It's really hard to even separate them!

Thank you K & J Magnetics .

The drain plugs will be available soon.

If this works out, I'll try to develop plugs for everything ( Engine, TX case, Rear Diff)

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm in! How about plugs for my Pilot too? Haha.

#10 ·
So I went out and bought a bunch of GM magnetic drainplugs for the TX Case and Rear Diff ( Its the same plug)
To even call this a "Magnetic" plug is a joke. The thing will barely lift a paperclip off the table. The magnetic material is some kind of rubber compound. You can pry it right out with an awl.....

This is the Neodymium magnet that I'm installing.

Yes, it really has 16 lbs of pull. That should keep the oil clean!!

#11 ·
Quick update on the Transmission drain plugs. The magnets came today, and I drilled out one of the plugs to 1/4" for the magnet and I'm not thrilled by how much wall thickness remains so I ordered some 3/16" magnets which are still crazy strong with 2.5lbs of pull. Hang tight....

#12 · (Edited)
Well, good news and bad news on the TX Case / Rear Diff Magnetic plugs. Good new first.... Their awesome!
Magnet pull is easily 20x better at 16lbs. than the stock one . My drain plug is on the right.

The bad news? They are more expensive than anticipated. I made 4 of them, and the price point I need to sell them at is $25 each + shipping.

So, I have 4 for sale. If you watched that video of the guy servicing his Traverse, the Rear Diff was much more funky than the TX Case , so maybe it makes more sense to only do the Rear Diff..... OR.... do it right, and do both. If I get allot of response, I can make a large batch of them, and the cost will come down due to economy of scale and shipping costs.

So, what do you guys think?

#14 ·
I wonder if the 2018+ Traverse differential and transfer case are the same as on the Gen 1 in that video? With most of us running in front wheel drive most of the time, it's possible that the Gen 2 differential doesn't see as much wear and oil degradation. That said, I'm in for one of the rear diff magnet plugs.

#19 ·
Quick update. The smaller 3/16" magnets arrived today, So I will drill and assemble them tomorrow.

2 of the 4 TX case / Diff plugs are sold.

1 of the 4 Trans plugs are sold.

Based off the response, this is all there will be, so if you want one, message me. First come will be first served.

#21 ·
PMd about the transmission drain plug!

#26 ·
Hi everyone, the trans and TX case / Diff plugs are all sold.

If there is enough interest, I'll make another batch.

If you're happy with what you received.... post up a review to let others know....

Thanks to everyone who supported this lil' project...

and yes, vtmecheng did get his "freebie" plug, as promised.

:p :p :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.