Traverse Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Awhile ago, someone asked me WTF I had two washers, on my drainplug? I couldn't answer the question!!! I honestly don't know!

Well, I serviced the car today, and now I know.

So I drain the oil, and here's the two washers, note the magnet has some gunk on it. I ran the Amsoil oil filter this OCI. It has the highest efficiency numbers and the smallest micron size of any filter you can buy. And I still have folks tell me magnets don't do a damm thing..... HA!

So I pop the washers off, and screw it in with no washers, to make sure it doesn't get threadbound. Nope, it's fine.

So I Iook at the washers themselves. See how loosely the washer that came with the plug fits? I don't like that.

So I was going to replace it with one that fits the threads, but it's a hair too small, and rides up on the radius where the shank of the plug transitions into the bolt head

I must have been short of time or something, because I just stacked the two together, and screwed the plug in.

I went to the local hardware store today and got the ideal washer with the correct I.D. and O.D. all in one washer.

...and it screws in perfectly.

Thanks guys, for helping me get my head around this one....

Car still looks and runs like brand new, Did not need a drop of oil in the 6,000 mile OCI, but the level was halfway down the hashmarks.... I'll take that!

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm always straight with you guys... so check this out.

When you wear snowshoes, you don't sink in the snow, because your weight is spread out over a very large area..... right? So, this new washer has so much area, the same effect is in play, and there was a drip on the garage floor this morning!

I tightened the drain plug to my usual "uuumph" when I installed it, but with all this area the washer is not conforming to the oil pan roughness ( The drain plug itself is perfectly machined).

I prefer metal drain plug washers, as with rubber ones some times you remove them and find a tear, and then your screwed.

I'll leave it for today, and let your know what I do......

Sorry guys, for the sh!tty suggestion to use this washer!(n)

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, I bought these......

I know what I just said about rubber drain plug washers.... but I just bought 50 of them for $16, a life time supply of single uses! ( 250,000 miles worth of oil changing).

If anyone wants to try one, pm me your address, and I'll toss one in the mail. (giveaway limit will be ten washers, first come, first served)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts