Traverse Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK... so I have resisted upgrading my phone.
Since I ordered a 2010 1LT- with the connectivity package- I get Bluetooth (+remote start+garage door).
Anyways---
for those of you who have Bluetooth--- have you had to get the phones on Chevrolets/GM approved list... or are you using your own phones and the Traverse recognized the phone?

I have resisted getting a fancy phone.
All I need is to make/receive calls- and text. Nothing more. nothing less.
This has also kept my cell phone bill low-- about $35 a month
Everyone I know- has upgraded their phones to the latest--- and they all pay $60-$100 a month.
They get services like unlimited text, web, animated videos, etc... stuff that cost more.... which most of them dont really need-- but they have the fancy phone.
So when the Traverse shows up I will upgrade to a Bluetooth phone. But the Chevrolet/GM list is fairly short..
I once again would get the most basic--- but with bluetooth.
My gf- currently has a Palm- and it has Bluetooth--- but at the moment its not on the GM list.

Anyways--- this is the phone im still using-- its from about 2001/2002.
Great little phone- with great sound... and small enough.

·
Registered
185 Posts
My wife uses her Motorola E-815 cell phone with Bluetooth enabled and it works just fine. The motorola website shows the E-815 was released around 2005, so it is not super old. It is old enough though that you cannot buy it from Verizon directly anymore though. Works fantastic. Never thought about using an "approved" phone. Good luck, Jeff.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I think as long as the phone you get has a bluetooth link it should work. I have a Motorola W490 (T-Mobile) and its fine. Also my dad has the RAZR from way back when it first came out and that works too. So I think as long as it says "Bluetooth Link" somewhere it should work.

I dont know if you looked here, but you probably did:

http://www.gm.com/vc/bluetooth/allProviders.jsp?brand=chevrolet

And that list isnt really up-to-date so new phones will probably work too

·
Registered
2 Posts
??? Does anyone know if you need a headset with my Nokia 6126 phone to make outgoing calls?
Do you use voice tags to make the calls or just say the phone number?
from a Traverse/Bluetooh newbie...thanks...

·
Registered
201 Posts
No your phone does not need to be on the list. You should not need any headset(which will most likely be disabled when in the vehicle anyways) we just say dial and after the prompt say the number also use the name tags.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
rbarrios said:
OK... so I have resisted upgrading my phone.
Since I ordered a 2010 1LT- with the connectivity package- I get Bluetooth (+remote start+garage door).
Anyways---
for those of you who have Bluetooth--- have you had to get the phones on Chevrolets/GM approved list... or are you using your own phones and the Traverse recognized the phone?

I have resisted getting a fancy phone.
All I need is to make/receive calls- and text. Nothing more. nothing less.
This has also kept my cell phone bill low-- about $35 a month
Everyone I know- has upgraded their phones to the latest--- and they all pay $60-$100 a month.
They get services like unlimited text, web, animated videos, etc... stuff that cost more.... which most of them dont really need-- but they have the fancy phone.
So when the Traverse shows up I will upgrade to a Bluetooth phone. But the Chevrolet/GM list is fairly short..
I once again would get the most basic--- but with bluetooth.
My gf- currently has a Palm- and it has Bluetooth--- but at the moment its not on the GM list.

Anyways--- this is the phone im still using-- its from about 2001/2002.
Great little phone- with great sound... and small enough.

OK, I must admit I don't understand ANYTHING that is being said here ....... my cell phone does appear on the list, but now, what does that mean to me???? I know NOTHING about bluetooth. No, I have not been under a rock or in prison .... well, maybe some would say I'm always under a rock. :happy:

I have used the "hands free" phone on the Traverse, have purchased another 100 minutes on that line, but am I able to use my cell with the Traverse phone?

Please clarify, I'm falling behind quickly with all the electronics that are appearing.

Thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if your Traverse came with the optional bluetooth connectivity- then you can use your cell phone (if it too has bluetooth) in your car.
In essence- you have your vehicle recognize your cell phone.
Any time you get in your car- it automatically recognizes your phone- and calls made or received will route thru the vehicles speakers and mic.

for 2009-I think bluetooth was available on the 2LT and LTZ.

for 2010 its available on the LT, 2LT, LTZ- with the connectivity package.

bobg1951----You are using the PHONE # assigned to your vehicle (via Verizon).

·
Registered
78 Posts
Bob, at the risk of being accused of flaming, this really is a case of RTFM

First of all, you have to 'pair' your phone. (by the way, do not touch the phone button on the mirror - that bypasses bluetooth and gets you using those expensive OnStar minutes)
1. Hold the mute button on the wheel down for about two seconds. A nice lady says ' ready '
2. Say 'bluetooth'. She replies 'bluetooth ready' followed by a tone.
3. Say 'pair'
and so on and so on .....it's all in the manual p3-104 on the 2009 one.

Get to know all the voice commands like 'Store' (to create an address book entry with a name tag) 'Call', (to call using a stored name tag) 'Dial', (to call using a sequence of numbers)
Then there are the more advance features such as digit dial and digit store ( used for accessing voice mail boxes, party extensions etc.)

It takes a while to get used to this technology but it's worth the wait. As long as your cell phone is properly paired (make sure you check the option in the phone to always allow connection to the car) whenever you enter the car and turn on the ignition, you will be ready to go.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Thanks for the reply, Martin.

·
Registered
72 Posts
What makes it easier though- as I found out Yesterday- when your paired phone is with you in the vehicle, when you call on your phone it automatically goes through the vehicle

To make it easier:
The SECOND you turn the vehicle on and the already paired phone is in the car, bluetooth is automatically activated on your phone and you dont have to do anything.

Then when your making a call, you can do the car way which is saying "Dial" or "Call" or as I found out, when you dial or call someone on your phone, it automatically goes through the bluetooth in the car.

For example, my dad is on speed dial on my phone (Which is paired to the Traverse) and when I open my phone and speed dial him, it immediately goes through the car. So it makes life so much easier. Also, even though you do this you can still end the call on the car (Buttons on the steering wheel)

That was probably mostly confusing, but I hope it helped a bit

·
Registered
53 Posts
HI, New here...

Paired the HTC Fuze phone the first day. Prompty forgot about it since we did not drive the car for a week sor so.

Wife drove the car for the first time and the car announced a call, etc. I was a bit shocked about what happened but then remembered to push the steering wheel button. My wife was stunned that it was just that easy.

Regards,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts