Traverse Forum banner

Block Heater

53K views 42 replies 23 participants last post by  greentraverse 
#1 ·
Does anyone have the engine block heater installed? It takes miles to start getting heat in our car. My wife will warm it up for 10 minutes and the heat is barely warm with temp gauge above the 160 degree mark. She has to drive a couple of miles after a 10 minute warm up to start getting good heat. The temp was 16 degrees this morning with a steady 30+ mph wind, so it was cold. I wonder if its more cost effective to have the block heater plugged in and a 5 min. warm up and get heat faster. I had one in my Suburban and right after I unplugged it the defrost would be a little warm on start up.

#27 ·
Some tractors have seperate heaters which burns diesel fuel , they circulates the engine coolant and keeps it warm enough that you don't have to idle the engine that 1000rpm all nite.
They just turn off the engine and this heater keeps both cabin and engine warm and saves about 70 % from keeping the engine idling.

#36 ·

Attachments

#43 ·
I am NOT RECOMMENDING you try this, I'm only telling you what I did in my wild youth:

I had a problem getting my old Opel Manta started one minus 0 degree F day when I was in college in the late 1970's. Long story, but while I was home for Xmas break, I had replaced the cam shaft and decided to put 30 wt oil in it for the 1000 mi drive back to school. After I got back to school, the next morning, it wouldn't even turn over. I had some charcoal and a metal garbage can lid, so I lit the charcoal, and when it got down to coals (no open flames), I slid it under the engine. Five or ten minutes later she started right up. I then replaced the oil with a lighter weight.

Do this at your own risk.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.