Traverse Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts
rbarrios said:
you want the Traverse block heater pic? or any to see what is being talked about?
Yes, I do need a picture of block heater in the car, because the Traverse I bought is supposed to have one(as per the dealer), but I could not find the cord, nor the block heater. I checked the manual, there is only one phrase says "coolant heeter", no "engine block heater" in the manual. That's why I need a picture to where it is and what it looks like. under my traver hood, I found a black plastic cover with 6 retangular shapes in the middle, which stays on top of the engine, is that the engine block heater?
I am trying to upload a small picture, but failed.

The best thing you can do is drive it,that gets everything moving at the same time.Why would you want to warm up the motor and then slam the still frozen tranmisson into gear.Not good.Startup run for a couple mins and drive slow to get everthing moving.Been doing that for a long time up here in Wis.Knock on wood.

I now live in south western ontario and block heaters aren't used much around here... however I used to live in northern ontario... Timmins to be exact and the temps would sometimes get below -35ºC and even lower than -40ºC and block heaters were essential to getting things started. Yes they don't heat up the transmission but your vehicle will actually start. I have a 2006 chevy colorado without a block heater and I haven't ever needed one to date since we don't see much below -20 to -25ºC where we live. The reason they heat up the coolant and not the engine oil is because when things are extremely cold the cylinder walls and pistons tend to not want to slide with each other too well and by heating them up they will allow the engine to start significantly easier. Just ask anyone that drives diesel equipment in northern ontario if they have a block heater on their equipment! hahahaha...

is that a reason why many semis when parked in cold areas- leave the engine running instead of shutting down?

>>>>>is that a reason why many semis when parked in cold areas- leave the engine running instead of shutting down?

That's one reason plus keeping the heat going for the sleeper cab if it is being used. With diesels, fuel consumption at idle is extremely low to the point they don't worry about any reduced mileage.

I had figured that fuel use/cost/comfort while idling was smaller- than shutting down- then trying to start a cold diesel engine.

Some tractors have seperate heaters which burns diesel fuel , they circulates the engine coolant and keeps it warm enough that you don't have to idle the engine that 1000rpm all nite.
They just turn off the engine and this heater keeps both cabin and engine warm and saves about 70 % from keeping the engine idling.

AA/78U said:
I think they are called APU's
Your thinking of an APU on an aircraft that supplies electrical power . The maker is Wabassco heater and all it does is circulates and keeps the coolant temp at a set temp. :beer:

Colder than -18 C and my block heater doesn't seem to work. I'll have to check it with an ohm meter. Warm engine gets better fuel economy. Electricity is cheaper than gas. Once my garage is done it will be warmer so won't need it that often.

Attachments

this answer the question...

Block heater on GM vehicles
GM has installed temperature sensing circuitry into the plug on factory installed block heaters. It prevents the heater from operating unless it is colder than 0°F or -18C. It may seem insane, but it really does make sense if you understand why. If you install an aftermarket block heater without this circuitry, the PCM will see warm coolant, but a cold engine and cold air coming into it. Remember, it's the PCM's job to determine the correct air/fuel mixture. A cold engine block and cylinder head act as a fire extinguisher when you first start up the engine. So the computer commands a very rich mixture. How does it know what temperature the engine is? It used to look at only the coolant temperature. But now it looks at both coolant temp and the temp of the metal itself. If it see a discrepancy between the two numbers, and the outside air temp coming in through the intake is 0° or above, it assumes there's something wrong with the coolant temp sensor and sets a trouble code.

Bottom line, if you add an aftermarket heater, it must have the temperature sensing circuitry in it or you WILL set a trouble code. Also, if you ever have to replace the power cord to the factory block heater, you must use a new GM power cable
2015 Traverse (Posting 25/2/21) Canada - Prairies - I know cold !.
Super helpful. Cord is splinting near the plug end that has built in sensor. Was going to simply replace with new male end..not now. Not sure I fully understand the WHY, but if there is a chance that codes are going to show-up, no thanks. Will I buy a new GM cord ? probably not...they are $100+ and if they only trigger colder than -18c, whats the point. Even on the prairies we see colder than -30 at times in the winter, but I think I'll throw in a new battery and run with it. This is a 6 year old car with 116Kms.. Thanks

2015 Traverse (Posting 25/2/21) Canada - Prairies - I know cold !.
Super helpful. Cord is splinting near the plug end that has built in sensor. Was going to simply replace with new male end..not now. Not sure I fully understand the WHY, but if there is a chance that codes are going to show-up, no thanks. Will I buy a new GM cord ? probably not...they are $100+ and if they only trigger colder than -18c, whats the point. Even on the prairies we see colder than -30 at times in the winter, but I think I'll throw in a new battery and run with it. This is a 6 year old car with 116Kms.. Thanks
I got my cord from partsavatar for $36.48+tax. They put a thermostatic there for a reason. If your car won't start at -18C then you should plug it in and ensure your battery is fully charged.

I got my cord from partsavatar for $36.48+tax. They put a thermostatic there for a reason. If your car won't start at -18C then you should plug it in and ensure your battery is fully charged.
Hmm . Ok thanks for parts info. Much appreciated. That does change things. I have my car in GM today for a list of things...I’ll let you know on their quote to replace. Love having that knowledge in my back pocket. Much appreciated.

hello,
any body has a picture to show the engine block heater? or some other links where I can see it?
I've looked all over under the hood for the location of the block heater cord...where the blooming' blazes did they hide it ...it was -45 Celcuis this morning and feeling like below -53 ...i NEED to find that cord. Someone help. And i'm in Northern Canada so i know it has to be in there somewhere.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.