Traverse Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's one for you.....Took the family camping last week to one of our Provincial Parks in Northern Ontario (Mattawa) and guess who visited us at 4 in the morning. Yup, you guessed it...a large mother bear and her two cubs. It was like scene from the Discovery Channel, bears cubs running around playing with each other while mom was looking for food amongst the campsites. It was a little nerve wrecking, but at the same time amazing to watch 5 feet away from us, in a pop up...THEN....one of the cubs decided to play with my new truck. Up he jumped to the front left quater panel, onto the hood and then finally onto the roof where my roof top carrier was. NO I DIDN"T HAVE ANY FOOD AT ALL IN THE ROOF TOP CARRIER OR VEHICLE!

One thing I know for sure now is that bears have extremely sharp claws....I now have scratch marks all over my hood, quater panel and roof, plus the *&^&&^ bear bent my sun roof downwards....I'm guessng about $3000.00 damage. I thought my insurance agent was going to fall off her chair when I told her what happened. And by the way, the Onstar working excellent in the middle on nowhere during that call.

And my camping season has only just begun.

There top that one!!!

·
Registered
994 Posts
campsite1 said:
And by the way, the Onstar working excellent in the middle on nowhere during that call.

There top that one!!!
Nope can't top that one :eek:.

You used OnStar to call the insurance company? ???

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The cell service in the park (Bell) was non existant so I tried the cell service part of onstar and it was crystal clear.

·
Registered
994 Posts
campsite1 said:
The cell service in the park (Bell) was non existant so I tried the cell service part of onstar and it was crystal clear.
I bought an extra 100 minutes of OnStar calling the day (late April) we took delivery of the car (so we started with a total of 30+100 minutes). We are now down to 20 minutes remaining. As I recall the extra $100 was something like $20...I wonder how much it would be now to add some time.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I think if you go to the OnStar site to purchase minutes you will find another 100 will set you back $40. In my view that is extortionate.
Funny thing is I let the OnStar minutes on our Impala run out some time ago and recently we were given another 30 free and gratis!
Bluetooth on our Traverse is the way to go and makes the OnStar minutes irrelevant.

PS @ campsite - so sorry to hear about your incident with the bears (making mental note not to venture into the North woods)

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
Ive seen some post on other websites say this...

This didnt happen unless we see pictures.....

or

sorry to hear your Trav. was damamged...

·
Registered
272 Posts
You can link the Onstar phone to you Verizon account and it just draws off of your plan minutes. I have about 90 min. left and will probably check into that when it gets lower. Also, they have a special now 200 min. for $70.

·
Registered
78 Posts
"You can link the Onstar phone to you Verizon account and it just draws off of your plan minutes."

Yes, but you also have to pay extra $$$ per month for the additional line.

And, 35c/min is still extortion!

(But we were talking about Black Bears!)

·
Registered
112 Posts
I wonder if you got better reception in the vehicle because you are using the larger, more powerful, antenna on the vehicle, instead of the little cell phone antenna.

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
that is most likely the reason... a more powerful transmitter.
Ive read somewhere that cell phone have something like .3 watts .... Onstar is about 1 or 1.5 watts...
BIG difference..
Ill try to find the correct specs..

·
Registered
113 Posts
Where's the pics of the bears??...you must have had a camera somewhere!!!!

Medman :beer:

·
Registered
407 Posts
Um.....no one thought about pushing the horn button on the keyless remote to get the bear to leave?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts