Traverse Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience with bike racks that allow the rear hatch to open?

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
I do...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the great pics, that would work for me.

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
there are some that also swing away from the vehicle...

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
wow-- howd I miss this reply...

Yes- thats my Traverse.
I was born in Jalisco (Guadalajara).
I have made it a habit to drive there during Xmas.
I may not make it there this year... But I bought Jalisco (and Mexico DF) plates on ebay.

I put them on my 64 Chevy truck- and 70 Monte carlo while theyre parked in the garage.
When the garage door opens- you see these cars with Mexican plates--- topic of conversation.
Ive also gone to big car shows- like the large West Coast Pomona Auto show- park in the show- and put on Mexican Plates... stand back- and listen to the people say--- WOW-- he drove all the way from Jalisco-- or Mexico City....
So when I took these pics- I swapped in the Jalisco/DF plates-- for fun. Kind of like people who put those wide thin European spec plates on their US BMW's.
(I never put these on when on ON the road).

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
Take note both plates say DELANTERA-- meaning its the plate that goes on the FRONT of the vehicle.

the Distrito Federal Plates.

heres the Traverse with its real plates-- and bikes mounted.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Here's a product that makes loading and unloading fairly easy if all you have is mountain bikes. The bikes go in vertically. Some of the horizontal type racks are brutal for figuring out in which order you have to mount the bikes to fit all four. These can mount 1 to 6 bikes via three different models of rack.

I'm probably going to get one of these for next spring.

http://www.northshoreracks.com/index.htm

These are pics off their site...

·
Registered
312 Posts
Roberto - I've seen the South-o-the-border tags in your pics before, but never caught an explanation.

I've carried bicycles for years. I started out with trunk lid carries and graduates to Yakima roof top carriers which I've had mounted on two different Blazers, a Tahoe, my wife's SRX, and a Honda Civic I owned until recently. On the Traverse, though, I anticipate getting a hitch rack. But, the kind I want is the kind where you have two trays where you mount bikes via their front fork quick releases in the same manner they mount on a roof rack. That seems most secure and will keep them from swinging and possibly bumping against one another. Just my preference.

In case there are any hard core cyclists out there, I have a pair of Colnago brand road bikes - a Dream Plus and a C-40 - that I ride on club rides and centuries. Not to boast, but Colnago is kind of like the Ferrari of bicycles.

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
Holy moly-- Id never seen that big of a bike rack.. thanks for that!!

On my rack- its only setup for 2. In the future- I may set it up for 3.
My rack is about 7 yrs old- as I used it on my Trailblazer.
So far no swinging bikes.
as theres an arm that holds the bikes (you can see it since it covers part of the HW in SCHWINN).

What I do make a habit of doing-- is if you take note of the front tire on the yellow bike- I have a small bunjee cord-
why?

Ever see other bikes mounted on rack- as the car travels down the highway--- the wheels are spinning from the airflow-
rear tires-- will make the pedal turn etc..
So I place bunjee cords to keep from having spinning tires etc....

My Mtn bikes-- someone told me the other day--- ohhh you bought new bikes?... I said-- no--- theyre alctually about 10 yrs old.... the tires are new... but I just wash them and keep them clean.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I am actually looking for a fold-down bike rack that will give me enough clearance to open my rear hatchback of the 2004 Venture minivan.
I have seen a couple of 4-or-more-bike models out there, but not sure if they will give me the clearance.
Haven't had time yet to test any.
Just bought our adult bikes so we can go as a family with the 6 and 7 yr olds, who are so excited to have mastered riding with no training wheels!
My short term solution for the rest of this summer/fall was to take out the third row seating and transport the bikes in the back a couple of miles to our bike trail.
So far, no damage and it is actually very quick and easy. But I will need the rack for sure.

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
theres also the more expensive racks that swing to the side....
several models out there...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts