Traverse Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you guys use your Traverses to take your bikes out for a ride? If so, do you use the traditional rear mount bike racks? Hitch Mounts? Or does anyone use a roof rack? If so which type? It looks to me like a pretty tall area to lift the bike up towards, anyone doing it? Thanks......Mark.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Carl. I guess I should of worded the OP differently, I'm really trying to find out if any Traverse owners transport their bikes with roof mounted racks. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I have a roof box and just putting stuff in and out of that is hard to do. The sides bow out allot. I actually stand on the top of the back tire.

So hefting bikes up and down would be a real pain in D butt.. I'm going to get a hitch mount one soon.

of course I'm also adding a receiver to my camper so I can put the bikes on the back of it as well. :)

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
With my Trailblazer- I thought about the roof--- then I thought...
HMMMM-- Mountain bikes. not that light.

Especially after a race or hard bike ride-- the last thing you want to do is try to lift a bike over your head--
then the risk of scratching/denting.

So For the Traverse--- same thing--- no desire to raise a bike way up there...

Now if you have those fany- super light weight carbon fiber - road bikes... and youre traveling long distance-- then its something I would consider...
But not for short trips--- and with mtn bikes.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually I do have the fancy Carbon Fiber road bikes which are pretty light, but, I'm guessing that roof is still going to be a reach even with my 6 ft height. The first time I bobble and drop the bike trying to line up the rear tire in the track and the front fork with the skewers, not to mention the 6 foot drop the VERY pricey bike would suffer. Mind made up, hitch mount carrier it is.....now I know why so many cyclists drive Subaru / VW wagons lol.

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
good call...
at your stature- sounds easier.

But it would be difficult to get up there...
On the Trailblazer- they had areas on the REAR bumper for you to stand on. Not the Traverse. you cant really stand on the rear bumper.
Even standing on the the Traverse door sill is a bit difficult if youre not an agile person.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Coreseller - I definitely WILL put bikes up top next spring and summer. I have a Yakima setup with multiple bike trays (Copperheads), Q towers, kayak stackers, fork mounts, fairings, you name it. I will either purchase new towers that ride the rails already provided by Chevy or I'll mount the rack outboard to the factory rails using roof mount towers.

I, likewise, have lightweight road bikes (15 and 17 pounds without seat pack or water bottles) so weight isn't a factor. Lift height is. I'm 6" tall, but I used to carry one of those molded plastic kitchen steps in my Tahoe and I'll dust it off and throw it into the Traverse.

I also envision carrying bikes inside the back of the Traverse. I haven't tried this yet, either, but I'm betting you could screw a couple of fork mounts onto a board, slide in into the back with the second and third rows folded and use the front fork QR to secure the bike. I'm certain that the seat post and saddle will have to come off also, (which is a nuisance) but this might be a worthwhile option for you some of the time.

·
Registered
248 Posts
:) I have a Yamaha hitch mount and my biggest fear is accidentally hitting the button to open the hatch with the rack on the back and scratching or denting up the door.

8) Steve

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
doesnt the auto tailgate feature have a disable button? Im pretty sure Ive read this...

·
Registered
212 Posts
rbarrios - you are correct! That is a feature on those who have the auto tailgate just incase something is too close to the rearend of the Traverse :angel:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Haven't tried it on the Traverse, but I have had a roof rack on my wife's Toyota Sienna for years. It's doable, but kind of a pain to lift bikes up there. The minivan actually has a pretty good standing "platform" with the long sliding doors, so I imagine the Traverse would be even more awkward. You have to hold it straight up over your head, and if you lean back even a little bit, better hope you're not parked too close to another car. (Mountain bikes are more difficult, but I've my share of close calls with my 18lb road bike too).

Also, my wife and I have each driven into a garage with a bike on top! Ouch. (She did it to my bike and I did it to hers... :)

Reasons I didn't go with a hitch rack:

1. the minivan is too low and would scrape easily. (Not such a problem with the Traverse)
2. I like the idea of having a rack that is always there. (However, it rarely comes in handy at unexpected times away from home!)
3. I think roof racks look cool (even on a minivan).

For the Traverse, I'm definitely going with a hitch rack. So much easier to get to, pops on in a few seconds, doesn't interfere with aerodynamics/fuel efficiency (I'm pretty sure the roof rack decreases my fuel efficiency on the minivan, even when there are no bikes up there), and your bikes will never get ripped off the roof when you forget it's up there (not to mention the huge dents in the roof of the vehicle!)
Just my $.02.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts