Traverse Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wifey's Traverse just went into some kind of "Software Update" mode.... here's what GM says about it.

I think it's more of a "Data Mining" upload.... Where have I gone? (GPS track) How fast have I driven?(Speed data logged) Did I drive drunk? (Excessive steering inputs) Have I driven erratically? (excessive throttle and brake inputs). All this data could be sold to your insurance company so they can adjust your rates or handed over to the Govt.

Have I ignored servicing the vehicle.....for warranty cancelation. It goes on and on.

I'm not really happy about this. but it's the new world we live in.

I am going to go to GM to see if the feature can be deleted, or at least get some insight as to what occurred during this "update".

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2020 Traverse LT
36 Posts
I just had the same message come up on mine. Did not act on it for a day or so, but it said onstar update, so I hit update and let it do its thing. Hadn't thought about the big brother watching thing....especially after all that has happened in the past month....

·
Registered
2020 High Country
372 Posts
I just had my '20 in for it's first (and free) oil change. Mentioned erratic issues with XM and there is a software update for the radio. It's a 2.5 - 3 hour process. They put a memory stick in and it takes that long. Service mgr. said they just did a Silverado yesterday and that's how long it took vehicle to load it so it's a drop it off update.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I know they are data mining but I have a feeling it is more for marketing and engineering than to try and screw the individual. Cars equipped with OnStar have been capable of sending and receiving information (it varies over the years as technology got better) since OnStar's inception.

Almost every new car gets OTA updates nowadays, you either buy an older vehicle that doesn't have this or you just have to deal with it. OR, push for legislature to block such things.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Wifey's Traverse just went into some kind of "Software Update" mode.... here's what GM says about it.

View attachment 10098

I think it's more of a "Data Mining" upload.... Where have I gone? (GPS track) How fast have I driven?(Speed data logged) Did I drive drunk? (Excessive steering inputs) Have I driven erratically? (excessive throttle and brake inputs). All this data could be sold to your insurance company so they can adjust your rates or handed over to the Govt.

Have I ignored servicing the vehicle.....for warranty cancelation. It goes on and on.

I'm not really happy about this. but it's the new world we live in.

I am going to go to GM to see if the feature can be deleted, or at least get some insight as to what occurred during this "update".

Thoughts?
So I take it you never use Wifi with your smartphone and never login to Facebook or Twitter or Instagram and you never talk on your landline phone and never send email or have GPS enabled on your smartphone or auto and you never make purchases from Amazon or Wal-Mart. The only movies you watch are on broadcast TV over the air waves - right?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts