2009 & 2010 Buick Enclave
Curb Weight = 4780 lb / 2168 kg FWD, 4985 lb / 2261 kg AWD
GCWR = 9500 lb / 4309 kg for FWD, 9700 lb / 4400 kg for AWD
Max towing capacity (rated) = 4500 lb / 2045 kg FWD & AWD

2009 Saturn Outlook
Curb Weight = 4700 lb / 2141 kg FWD, 4905 lb / 2234 kg AWD
GCWR = 9500 lb / 4309 kg FWD, 9700 lb / 4400 kg AWD
Max towing capacity (rated) = 5200 lb / 2364 kg
Legal Max towing capacity = GCWR - Curb Weight = 4800 lb FWD, 4795 lb AWD (assumes 0 payload)

2009 & 2010 GMC Acadia
Curb Weight = 4720 lb / 2141 kg FWD, 4925 lb / 2234 kg AWD
GCWR = 9500 lb / 4309 kg FWD, 9700 lb / 4400 kg AWD
Legal Max towing capacity = GCWR - Curb Weight = 4780 lb FWD, 4775 lb AWD (assumes 0 payload)

2009 & 2010 Chevy Traverse
Curb Weight = 4720 lb / 2141 kg FWD, 4925 lb / 2234 kg AWD
GCWR = 10250 lb / 4649 kg FWD, 10450 lb / 4740 kg AWD
Legal Max towing capacity = GCWR - Curb Weight = 5530 lb FWD, 5525 lb AWD (assumes 0 payload)
However, note that this is higher that the rated towing capacity of 5200 lbs. This is for illustration purposes only to baseline the difference in weight as I am assuming 0 payload.

Because of the higher GCWR on the Traverse, it can legally tow 750 lbs more than the Acadia, 730 lbs more than the Outlook, and because of both the higher tow rating & higher GCWR, 1030 lbs more than the Enclave. Again, all numbers assume 0 payload. Decrease the totals by your own payload to find your personal vehicle's max.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm pretty sure the GCWR for all the lambda's is 10,250. For the other 3 the GCWR was 9,500 when their tow capacity was 4500. If they increased the tow capacity to 5,200 and not the GCWR, then the added tow capacity is useless, because it exceeds the GCWR. This is why I believe they have not updated in their documentation to reflect the increased tow capacity for the Acadia and Outlook.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would agree that your theory that they have not updated their documentation is plausible.
However, I checked the 2010's on the Media site as well - and sure enough, still reflect the GCWR of 9500 lbs for 2010 Acadia & Enclave FWDs.

More importantly, however, is the LEGAL limit. The 2009 Traverse clearly states 10250 FWD / 10450 AWD in its Owner's Manual - The 2009 Acadia clearly states 9500 FWD / 9700 AWD in its Owner's Manual. If you're in an accident, and the police prove your GCWR at the time was 10,000 lbs, you might have some legal & insurance issues proving "the documentation just wasn't updated".

If there are any Acadia owners reading this who can post a picture of their GCWR sticker, that'd be really helpful to this discussion - since that's probably what the police & DMV would use.

I do agree that the added tow capacity on the Acadia is useless if the GCWR isn't increased.
On the FWD, Curb Weight 4720 lbs + Tow Capacity 5200 lbs = 9920 lbs. That's 420 lbs. over the GCWR, and that's with 0 payload. Therefore, since you can't change stock curb weight (easily), the documented Max Tow Capacity should really be 5200-420= 4780 lbs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Beautiful vehicle BUT... I sold my van, rated at 3500lbs towing capacity for the "increased towing capacity" of the traverse which was listed, on their website yesterday, at 5,200lbs towing capacity (no strings attached). Now after reading your posts and calling GM yesterday, I find out my Traverse is only rated to pull 2,000 lbs because it does not have the "V92" package.

Interesting how GM Canada changed the online specifications from yesterday in their trailering guide based on my complaint. They're responsive alright, but it doesn't help me. Yesterday their web site stated in a few places that the Traverse could tow 5200lbs. Now they added "(required equipment: V92)". I wonder how many people purchased a Traverse for the 5200lbs towing capacity and are pulling more than the puny 2,000lbs that it actually delivers. They may have a few people hold them liable for the misinformation on the web. They'll likely be seeing a few tranny jobs in the the next while... In my case, they're now blaming this on the dealership, saying that the dealership should have told me. Classic finger-pointing. Great vehicle, too bad they misled me with faulty web site info. They say their legal disclaimer on the bottom of the page covers them... >:D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Check this out: gm.ca/gm/english/vehicles/chevrolet/traverse/compare-options-and-specifications

No mention of the V92 requirement. They missed changing this one. i printed this out. Any on you have a printout of yesterday's trailering guide showing yesterday's capacity listed without the V92 requirement? I would appreciate getting my hands on a copy...

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
CLOUTM3 said:
Check this out: gm.ca/gm/english/vehicles/chevrolet/traverse/compare-options-and-specifications

No mention of the V92 requirement. They missed changing this one. i printed this out. Any on you have a printout of yesterday's trailering guide showing yesterday's capacity listed without the V92 requirement? I would appreciate getting my hands on a copy...
No strings attached ?????

You need to speak to your saleman at your dealership and ask him why he did not inform you about the 5200 lb versus the 2000 lb issue. Factory hitch is 5200, hitch installed after assembly is 2000 lbs. Your salesman is the horses behind in this case.

Bob

·
Registered
202 Posts
bobg1951chevy said:
No strings attached ?????

You need to speak to your saleman at your dealership and ask him why he did not inform you about the 5200 lb versus the 2000 lb issue. Factory hitch is 5200, hitch installed after assembly is 2000 lbs. Your salesman is the horses behind in this case.

Bob
When you order the 'factory tow package', it comes bundled with several other features including a "tow/haul" mode selectable button that modifies shiftpoints, holds gears longer (conversely, non tow package trim downshifts RPM's lower whenever possible to save fuel economy, not this is NOT ideal for towing, and puts additional stress on the engine and raises transmission temperatures) along with a factory transmission cooler and modified touch-turnsignal mode (6 blinks verses stock of 3 blinks, big whoop). The important parts are the TCM revisions and the transmission cooler, since heat is the transmission's worst enemy. You can easily overheat the transmission and cause damage by hauling more than 2000+ pounds without the factory tow package, irregardless of if you have a hitch receiver on the back or not.

When you get a UHAUL or other aftermarket hitch that may "fit" the lambda platform, you're limited to 2k pounds since with the loose torque converter and stock TCM tune on these trucks, it's not "healthy" to pull more than 2k pounds without the tranny cooler and revised TCM shiftpoints.

This is why the factory installed towing package changes the hauling capability of otherwise identical 'looking' hitch solutions.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Non tow vehicles have tranny coolers, as well. The V92 gives a larger tranny cooler.

Bob

·
Registered
407 Posts
CLOUTM3 said:
Beautiful vehicle BUT... I sold my van, rated at 3500lbs towing capacity for the "increased towing capacity" of the traverse which was listed, on their website yesterday, at 5,200lbs towing capacity (no strings attached). Now after reading your posts and calling GM yesterday, I find out my Traverse is only rated to pull 2,000 lbs because it does not have the "V92" package.

Interesting how GM Canada changed the online specifications from yesterday in their trailering guide based on my complaint. They're responsive alright, but it doesn't help me. Yesterday their web site stated in a few places that the Traverse could tow 5200lbs. Now they added "(required equipment: V92)". I wonder how many people purchased a Traverse for the 5200lbs towing capacity and are pulling more than the puny 2,000lbs that it actually delivers. They may have a few people hold them liable for the misinformation on the web. They'll likely be seeing a few tranny jobs in the the next while... In my case, they're now blaming this on the dealership, saying that the dealership should have told me. Classic finger-pointing. Great vehicle, too bad they misled me with faulty web site info. They say their legal disclaimer on the bottom of the page covers them... >:D
Common sense should dictate that if you want to tow with the vehicle, look to see if there is a "tow package" available in the options. I understand the confusion over the literature, but again....if you want to tow (and need the hitch) it's listed in the options in the brochure, and on the "build your own" feature on Chevy's website.

·
Registered
56 Posts
09Enclave said:
Common sense should dictate that if you want to tow with the vehicle, look to see if there is a "tow package" available in the options. I understand the confusion over the literature, but again....if you want to tow (and need the hitch) it's listed in the options in the brochure, and on the "build your own" feature on Chevy's website.
I agree, but I can see how people might not get a vehicle with a package. I wanted it from the start and did enough research to know in advance the difference in towing ability, etc.

But I can see someone finding a great deal on a year end Traverse that doesn't have a tow package (even though you want to tow), and if you ask the dealer about adding one on afterwards and he tells you it's not a problem and it could still tow the 5,200 lbs, you might think that the car is a good enough deal and a couple hundred dollars for a hitch and you are good to go.

I guess in the end you have to do enough research on your own, but one would think that asking the person who works for the company the question, you would get an accurate answer. I hate people who make something up when they don't know the answer, if you don't know, tell me you don't know and go find the right answer... I'll wait.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
A good reason to research on your own before walking into the dealership.

Trust, but verify.

Bob

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Yes it was this sight that I used to research the Traverse so I was well versed and knew to get mine with the tow package...

In the end you have to watch your own butt in any purchase/large purchase.

·
Registered
73 Posts
CLOUTM3 said:

First your looking at the Canadian Chevy site. On the US site it's says trailering is an option and no specifics. Did you see the V92 on a different site other than Canada?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts