Traverse Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I’m looking for some suggestions. I Have a 2017 traverse and my battery gauge won’t go to 14. In December the car completely died without any notice. No lights inside or out, the key fob wouldn’t unlock the door and even with a hotspot the car wouldn’t stay on. I replaced the battery in October after having to get 2 hotshots. I’m January I’ve replaced the alternator and battery sensor. With both of these changes the car will start however the gauge stays well under 14. I attempted To drive it one day to bring it home and the gauge went completely low and the car shut down. Any recommendations on what it could be before I take it to a dealer?

· Registered
4,256 Posts
Many threads here where non-OEM alternators were installed and failed very quickly. Was yours OEM or aftermarket?
You maybe should go to a reputable mechanic and have the entire system checked out.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many threads here where non-OEM alternators were installed and failed very quickly. Was yours OEM or aftermarket?
You maybe should go to a reputable mechanic and have the entire system checked out.
I
I
I got the alternator from auto zone. Maybe I should return it and get one from Chevy

· Super Moderator
1,385 Posts
New parts only. Never ever get rebuilt parts from the zone. Any store for that matter, most rebuilds are done by 1-2 companies in US for everyone.

Reactions: RandyMan

· Registered
67 Posts
Aside from extreme corrosion, non factory wiring, incorrect installation, etc., voltage less than 14 when driving means your alternator is bad.

Though on LONG drives it can be normal for the voltage to drop for a few mins, to prevent overcharging the battery.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts