Traverse Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have a 2011 2LT Traverse. I was searching the forum for "Battery charge system" problems and found a few, but they didn't quite answer my specific question, and I was hoping for more help.

I have had my traverse for a few months. I bought it off my mom, who bought it used from a dealer with no warranty, and guess what? Within 100 miles the timing chain went out and bricked the engine. Surprise surprise, the dealer and GM wouldn't help at only 109k. So I bought it and put in a new GM engine.

On to my problem.

The Service battery charging system came on a few days ago, so I brought it to get the system checked at a local auto parts store. They tested the alternator, which everything was fine, but the battery was low and needed to charge and be rechecked. Did that and they said it was a bad battery. I brought it to interstate batteries, which is what it had in there already (2017), and they tested it. Everything was fine. Bought a new battery anyways and installed exactly as I had taken it out. Worked fine for 2 days, and today the light came on again. I tested the battery at work with a multi-meter, everything looked good, but it was showing 10v on the dash. I drove it around and it charged back up to about 15v pretty quick. Thinking maybe a ground issue? I checked the fuses, battery compartment, and everything else, but it all looks good. I was looking for the alt ground, but can't get into the tight engine (used to trucks and 90's Chevy's with a LOT more room).

So being that it charges quickly, I'm thinking not the alternator. Being that it's a new battery, I'm hoping that's not the case either. The battery seems to drop to around 10v after sitting for more than 30 min, otherwise it's fine. But getting of the highway this morning on my way to work, it dropped again. The problem is intermittent at best right now, but I'm worried that it will get worse, and wintertime in Minnesota is not a good time for a breakdown. It starts fine and no loss if power inside with heat/radio/heated seats, anything like that.

If anybody has more specific information to check, or needs more info from me please let me know. I would rather avoid a dealership, and not sure about my new mechanic yet (who installed my new engine 2k miles ago).

Thank you in advance

·
Registered
59 Posts
There are a bunch of things it could be. Could be a bad connection from battery to alternator causing high resistance. Could be a bad ground. The current monitor sensor that monitors battery voltage could be bad. Could be a bad or missing connection of the field winding on alternator. Good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are a bunch of things it could be. Could be a bad connection from battery to alternator causing high resistance. Could be a bad ground. The current monitor sensor that monitors battery voltage could be bad. Could be a bad or missing connection of the field winding on alternator. Good luck
appreciate it. I guess I have some investigating to do...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked around and everything looked good. I took it into the shop after going dead on the side of the road, and they said alternator was going out. I had them double check the grounds and sensor, all checked out good. So I had them swap it out, with a 3 year warranty thankfully.

Hopefully that's all for that issue! Thanks guys

·
Registered
11,276 Posts
was the alternator your original or from the donor engine?

Yrs ago, I bought a new OEM/factory alternator on ebay. (several of us here did- from an alternator shop) It was $90 I believe.
Anways- to be ready when my unit failed in the future.
Well its been several yrs- and im about to hit 160,000 and original one still working.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Original from the motor. The shop purchased a rebuilt motor from GM, so all the accessories transferred over minus the water pump, which I opted to replace since it was out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, so this problem lead to another problem. Now my heat isn't working inside the vehicle. The engine is keeping right around 210, but the air coming through is colder than outside, which is how it should be while driving. I'm wondering if something may have gotten disconnected when the alternator was replaced? I'm going to look at the fuses, but it worked great before taking it to the shop...

Anything you all could think of to look for would be helpful.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts