Traverse Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone replaced the firewall side catalytic converter on their traverse? Our 2010 with 255,000 km is kicking out a P0420 code, which suggests a replacement is in order. Any tips on a home replacement? Is the engine side flange even accessible?

·
Registered
31 Posts
That is more likely to indicate a bad oxygen sensor than a bad catalytic converter. For the sake of troubleshooting I have taken the sensor out, cleaned it with throttle body cleaner and reinstall it. At your mileage I would replace the sensor first before messing with a manifold removal. There are specialty sockets made for oxygen sensors that would simplify removal.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just wanted to follow up on this thread. I have a replacement O2 sensor that I still need to install, but we haven't had any codes in months. However, I'm also still bracing for the need to replace the cat. I have one that I found for a steal, so it'll just installation in the cards. An exhaust shop said that the book time for replacement is 4.9 hours, though. This seems quite high to me as there are only a few flange bolts, but maybe I'm missing something. Other than it being difficult to maneuver in the firewall area, is there something else for the replacement that takes a large amount of installation time?

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
wow- 5 hrs for R/R.

Im surprissed.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, our 2010 needed another new set of timing chains, so I had them replace the cat and the sensor while the engine was out. The original cat was indeed plugged and no light could get through. It doesn't feel any different to drive with the new cat, but it's definitely peace of mind now.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I replaced bank 1 cat last week and let me tell you it wasn’t a 5 hour job. Took maybe 1 hour 30 mins tops.

If you want to verify the status of your cat vs the o2 go to an oreillys and borrow their scan tool. Under special functions you can see live readings from each o2. You can also see the threshold of your bank 1 and bank 2 cats.

The traverse has a smart enough system to determine whether you have a bad cat or bad o2. If you have a p0420 code then changes are good that you have bad bank 1 cat.

Put the vehicle on stands. Use map gas to heat bolts and melt candle wax on bolts to remove easily. 2 bolts on the rear flange are the easy ones.

It’s a real pain to get the front 3 flange bolts but I was able to sneak the torch up there and remove the 3 bolts using a 1/2 ratchet and deep socket.

The hardest by far is the far right front flange bolt ( passenger side ). Since you can’t see the bolt and only feel for it.

I also recommend buying 2 new bolts, lock washer, and nut to replace the front flange studs. I tried my best to remove the existing studs from the old cat but without any luck.

Any questions let me know.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Cat replacement bank 1

Thanks Maqcro that is the very info I have been looking for....
It looked to be about a 2 hour job to me...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just wanted to follow up on this thread. I have a replacement O2 sensor that I still need to install, but we haven't had any codes in months. However, I'm also still bracing for the need to replace the cat. I have one that I found for a steal, so it'll just installation in the cards. An exhaust shop said that the book time for replacement is 4.9 hours, though. This seems quite high to me as there are only a few flange bolts, but maybe I'm missing something. Other than it being difficult to maneuver in the firewall area, is there something else for the replacement that takes a large amount of installation time?
I just got a quote today from a muffler shop today in kenosha wi for 1.5 hrs labor so that sounds really high.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A little hint for replacing the O2 sensor,warm up the vehicle to operating temp the o2 sensor will break free alot easier as will other bolts on the exhaust system while they are hot.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I replaced bank 1 cat last week and let me tell you it wasn’t a 5 hour job. Took maybe 1 hour 30 mins tops.

If you want to verify the status of your cat vs the o2 go to an oreillys and borrow their scan tool. Under special functions you can see live readings from each o2. You can also see the threshold of your bank 1 and bank 2 cats.

The traverse has a smart enough system to determine whether you have a bad cat or bad o2. If you have a p0420 code then changes are good that you have bad bank 1 cat.

Put the vehicle on stands. Use map gas to heat bolts and melt candle wax on bolts to remove easily. 2 bolts on the rear flange are the easy ones.

It’s a real pain to get the front 3 flange bolts but I was able to sneak the torch up there and remove the 3 bolts using a 1/2 ratchet and deep socket.

The hardest by far is the far right front flange bolt ( passenger side ). Since you can’t see the bolt and only feel for it.

I also recommend buying 2 new bolts, lock washer, and nut to replace the front flange studs. I tried my best to remove the existing studs from the old cat but without any luck.

Any questions let me know.
so question..... my traverse threw the same code and is a bank 1... I went to order the part and they have 3 different parts that could bank 1 all way different. How do I know which is one is actually the part I’m needing before I start taking things apart?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts