Traverse Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I back in at night, and that for some reason the backup camera in the 2019 Traverse does not work well at night, I had to add backup lights. Some suggested lighted bumper steps, but I really did not want a "butt-wart" on the back of the vehicle. I wanted them mounted similar to a factory install. I started by planning to install flush mounted units, but was too much on the back of the bumper to get that to work. So mount them low, just above the exhaust.

After a bit of a pain (getting the rear lower fascia off then on again), but assisted by a trailer plug to make wiring easy .. got them in and tested.

When mounted you almost don't see them down by the exhaust (image 1). An earlier comment suggested that LEO might ticket me for "offroad lights", but image 2 is what he would typically see in a driveby. So I don't think that is a problem.

If you backup during the day they are noticeable, but not too bad (image 3).

At night they work great (image 4). The backup camera kicks into daylight mode (better resolution) and much easier to back up. As an upside they stay on a bit as perimeter lights. Took longer than I expected due to learning about how the Traverse is put together. But if parts are in hand and the wiring harness done ahead of time, probably could be knocked off in afternoon.

Cheers!
... jpmg ....

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
They look amazing. Almost looks factory. Glad the trailer wiring suggestion worked.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Looks good, way to solve the problem!

I will be interested to see if there are any issues with the heat from the exhaust... did you go with a name brand light or knockoff?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I too was concerned about the heat of the exhaust. For wiring did a harness. Mounted it to the bumper tube and wrapped it all in a heat shield tape. Placed thin insulation below the lamps, for insulation and to prevent any potential banging. Not much room was available.

Lights were a hoot to find that would meet the size specs. Most were just too tall.

Trial set was a chinese knockoff from fleabay. Cheap with poor fit and finish and odd looking philips head screws holding on the face. Soft plastic over the LEDS.

Final set I got directly from China. Cost more but was surprised by the result. Stainless steel parts, decent socket head cap screws holding cover face on, lens cover a decent PC material. So far components and build quality looks good, and I bench tested them for a bit before install. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Cheers!
... jpmg ...

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
I too was concerned about the heat of the exhaust. For wiring did a harness. Mounted it to the bumper tube and wrapped it all in a heat shield tape. Placed thin insulation below the lamps, for insulation and to prevent any potential banging. Not much room was available.

Lights were a hoot to find that would meet the size specs. Most were just too tall.

Trial set was a chinese knockoff from fleabay. Cheap with poor fit and finish and odd looking philips head screws holding on the face. Soft plastic over the LEDS.

Final set I got directly from China. Cost more but was surprised by the result. Stainless steel parts, decent socket head cap screws holding cover face on, lens cover a decent PC material. So far components and build quality looks good, and I bench tested them for a bit before install. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Cheers!
... jpmg ...
Probably hybrid square/phillips:

RV builders love'em.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I saw the fasterneres and recognize them. Nope these were not those. Just regular, tiny phillips head screws.
When I meant "odd", I meant that they were so tiny and soft that I was not sure they were metal. more like "metal in name only".
Based on that those lights might get hooked up to a PSU on the bench, but never an outdoor vehicle.

Then again you can appreciate something good when you can sit it next to something bad.

Probably hybrid square/phillips:

RV builders love'em.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Followup from my original post ....
The backup lights worked well all winter, with no problems form the exhaust heat. Still looking and working fine.
Only weird thing is when you turn off the vehicle. As expected the backups stay on a bit, but with the lamps on you see these wisps of vapor coming from the exhaust.
Nothing abnormal, just that you usually don't see or notice it without the lamps.
Hopefully on to the next project (underside running board lamps) once the weather gets better on a consistent basis.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The key issue is size. While there are a lot of add on LED bars, very few met the mounting limitations. Those limits were 1 inch high and about 7 inches wide.
A light that might work is listed on ebay as "7inch Ultra-thin LED Light Bar 18W Slim Spot Beam Offroad Truck 4WD SUV ATV US", listing "324161408969".
They are 27mm total height and 183mm length. Here is an image:

Whatever ones you get make sure they have SOCKET HEAD CAP SCREWS. I tried several brands and found that the ones which used cheap Phillips head screws to mount the lens cover all had problems. They all come from China and probably from same place. So multiple sellers are probably getting them from the same source. Prices should be around $20 USD retail per light. If the amount is significantly lower be careful. You might find them higher from a top end source (if those exist). I just did not find any.

However of there is interest I am sure some enterprising company will place a brand label on a stock Chinese unit, put together a wiring harness for the lights, include a tap or T for the reverse plug, write up a slick instruction sheet and place them in a colorful box for a $100 or so markup. Might sell a few for those who want a one stop shopping solution. Yet there will still be the challenge of the user removing the rear fascia and custom mounting.

When installing note that you need to watch the total length. To keep the total length down you need to mount one of the "L" supports inverted, that is the screws to hold them on will be UNDER the light. Not to much mounting real estate under above the exhaust and on the sub bumper bar. If you look at post PROTOTYPE FIX (Backup Camera - Poor night vision - Prototype fix) you can see the lights before they were permanently mounted. The post FASCIA REMOVAL (Backup Camera - Poor night vision - Rear Bumper Fascia...) shows an image of the light mounting method and location.

Hope that helps.
Cheers!
...JPMG ....

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
NOTE: If you look at the above light you will see that the mounting tabs extend a bit beyond the actual lamp. The ones I used had a flush to casing mounting. Since there is not a lot of mounting room, that might cause a problem. If the tabs on the light above are too long they might not attach directly to the "Rear Bumper Fascia Energy Absorber ". In that case just mount the lamps to a 1 inch wide aluminum strip cut of the correct length, then attach THAT part to the "Rear Bumper Fascia Energy Absorber"
Cheers!
... JPMG ...

·
Registered
19 Posts
This is an impressive modification that I may take on when my vehicle is off warranty ! Since it is drawing current off of the back up lights circuit was there any need to increase the fuse or breaker size?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The power solution came to me after NTMD8TOR asked if I had a trailering package. That made the power side easy and does not void the warranty. You just tap power from the trailer plug that supplies backup lamp power for the trailer. No extra taps, splices or fuse blocks required. The trailer plug power is rated to power incandescent bulbs, the fitted LED lamps draw nothing compared to those type bulbs. Get a pigtail adapter for the trailer plug from the parts store. It it round to mate with the vehicle plug and has individual breakout wires for each circuit. Backup lamp power and ground are available via the plug.

Since you are attaching to an existing plug supplied by GM, for backup lights as designed, you are not voiding warranty. If you are super worried about bringing it into the dealer then you just unplug the power tap before bringing it in. No power - no lights - no problem.

Cheers!
... JPMG ...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Since you have a 2019 Traverse can I ask if you found any lift adaptor for jacking with a hydraulic lift jack ? It is not a pinch weld type of jacking point, but rather a fitted piece to force people to place the jack exactly the way GM wants it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nope, have not found a lifting adapter, but I have not really been looking for one.
You might want to start a top level thread and see if other folks have found one.
Good luck.
... JPMG ...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts