Traverse Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Traverse AWD Premier Red Line Edition
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi...pretty simple question. I have found that I slightly prefer driving my Traverse in AWD vs. 2WD. Is there any harm aside from slightly decreased gas mileage to driving the vehicle in AWD all the time? Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hi...pretty simple question. I have found that I slightly prefer driving my Traverse in AWD vs. 2WD. Is there any harm aside from slightly decreased gas mileage to driving the vehicle in AWD all the time? Thoughts? Thanks in advance!
Great question. My wife took our traverse out last weekend. We live in Jersey and although our street wasn't clear from snow the main roads were, so I asked her to switch it ut of 4wd when she got out on dry pavement, which she forgot to do. This sent me into a rage, as I'm picturing the wear/damaged caused by driving on dry pavement in 4wd... Except it's AWD. After a swift apology (she's still pissed), I dug around on and off the forum and came up with the following conclusions related to your question. Leaving it in awd full time will have more than a little effect on your mpg, which is why chevy gives you the option to switch to 2wd. In addition, you'll get increased tire wear from the rears as they are active, and the tranny/slush box that distributes power to the rear will be part of the equation when AWD is active, so you'll get use/wear there too, but ultimately, as said in part of my apology to my wife, "I think you're good to go."
Having said all this, there's guys n gals on here that wrench more than I do; before you leave it in AWD full time, I'd wait to get their spin on it.

·
Registered
2020 High Country
414 Posts
My '16 Equinox 3.6 is full time AWD. 77k miles on it now since new in my care. Tires wear evenly on it, verified by using a tread gauge, and it surprised me as it was my first AWD vehicle. FWD will wear front tires faster than AWD as there is a lot of wheel spin that you may not notice but it's there. I especially see it when towing in FWD, lot of torque with the 3.6 and the low 1st gear of the 9 speed. Traction control only kicks in when there is EXCESSIVE wheel spin so wheel spin is still there and that's why fronts wear faster in FWD.
In tow mode in the Traverse you are in AWD no matter wet or dry. Wet or dry only applies to 4wd like my Tahoe.
My Traverse is a little better on fuel than the 'nox when it's in FWD but leaving the Traverse in AWD all the time is not a drivetrain wear issue just less mileage. AWD is designed that way unlike 4wd which fully locks drivetrain front/rear like my Tahoe. Tahoe has a auto. setting which basically locks front axle and transfer case sends power to front axle only if rear slip is detected when it's in auto mode so it acts like part time 4wd.. Forget that it's in 4wd on dry and firm and you can really feel it immediately.
Just some insight and real current experience with all the drive systems.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Per your Owners Manual. Pg 200 says

Use this
mode for normal driving conditions.
This is the most fuel efficient drive
mode. See Driving for Better Fuel
Economy Pg 166.

Pg 175 says to activate AWD for rainy weather and hill and mountain roads; pg 176 says use AWD for snow and ice.

There is no mention, however, of damage due to driving in AWD all the time.

Remember - It's AWD, not 4WD.

My 2017 is full time AWD. No choice. They've added the choice in the 2nd Gen's to improve mileage.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Traverse AWD Premier Red Line Edition
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for the very informative responses! It sounds like the overall consensus is that it’s a non-issue to keep it in AWD. I’ve noticed I just like the way it handles and “feels” ever so slightly while in AWD. We’ve had some snow from the holidays on where I’ve been able to test the Traverse in truly adverse road conditions and I must say, I’m impressed with the way it handles. It’s very “sure” of itself. Overall, I’m happy for sure. :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'd be careful running AWD unless you absolutely need it.

We have a 2018 High Country and asked the dealer the day we bought it if we could drive in AWD all the time and they said "no problem".

Fast forward to 2019 when we began to get a "chimed" DIC warning (ServiceAWD pic):
"Service: All Wheel Drive System"

The manual states, "...AWD may turn off and display a message on the DIC in instances of extensive use or overheating...".

Brought it to the dealer and they changed the entire differential carrier assembly (p/n 84462317) - total repair was $3,424.34 under warranty.

Never used AWD again...

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 High Country
414 Posts
If that was true you could not tow anything, like going out to Yellowstone with the camper from NJ.
You had a bad diff., simple as that.
Why hasn't the diff in my AWD 'nox taken a dump in 77k miles, it's the same one used in my Traverse ?

·
Registered
521 Posts
AWD on full time should never cause an issue or a parts failure and is not harmful. This is one of those ingrained things from years ago with an old school 4x4 truck that had a solid spool type axle up front (where both wheels are basically locked together, ie no differential) and a direct engagement transfer case. Putting one of those in 4WD on dry pavement would cause the front axle to hop on turns and potentially break parts - because the wheels were not able to spin at different speeds. But even most pickups now with a 4x4 t-case have internal clutches that can regulate how much torque is applied or slippage is allowed. In any event that's still a bit different from a clutch type system on the Traverses.

Reactions: repairman54

·
Registered
2020 High Country
414 Posts
2x nhra like I said in post #3

·
Registered
21 Posts
Here in Texas we recently had an unusual amount of snow and ice, (almost a foot). I spent many winters in New England so am familiar with these conditions and comfortable driving in them. I tried our 2019 RS around town in Snow Mode, AWD, and even without true snow tires, was pleased with the performance and handling in the white stuff. I also use it in the rain, which we have a lot of in this portion of the Lone Star State, and find it improves my confidence in its handling and stability. However, it feels a bit sluggish and mpg is down, but only slightly as I tend to drive cautiously on wet, or gravel, roads. Could we/ should we leave it in AWD full-time? If it feels good to you, do it. I see no mechanical advantage or disadvantage to it but I am no master mechanic and these are just my own personal observances.

·
Registered
132 Posts
That's to be expected with AWD, lower MPG slightly due to the extra traction and somewhat sluggish response as well. You should see how it feels in Off-Road mode (the 3rd selection on the dial), it is even MORE sluggish, as the throttle inputs are more exact, feels like a truck trying to get going from a dead stop, but better traction over AWD and power distribution (actual 50/50 over the AWD's 60/40).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts