·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Re: Autonet, a GM First, in-car Wi-Fi Optiom

Many places one time offered free WiFI are now starting to charge a fee.

This would be great for those of us who are "internet junkies" such as my husband and myself.

The cabin we rented in Gatlinburg, TN last month did NOT offer internet capabilities. Would have been great for that.

So we ventured out to a Verizon store and picked up a component to attach through the USB port. Of course we had to share :'( and it is an extra tab on our monthly Verizon bill. Hubby though can use it when he travels for business.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good news, Autonet is available through Amazon for $359 and I imagine from other resellers. It does require a monthly subscription fee, but I'm betting I'll be able to justify it some way.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002ACP27W/ref=s9_k2ah_gw_ir02?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-4&pf_rd_r=1Z2N96FW26XD5CETA71B&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470939031&pf_rd_i=507846

I also read where there's a $200 mail-in rebate on the system purchase going on right now, but don't have details.

I also understand that it may be possible to move from car to car, which would be neat.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Not sure how great of a deal that is...

You can get one of those mobile hotspot devices from cell carriers for $50-$100, and the data plans are similar. More and more phones now are able to be used as a hotspot as well... It just seems like you much more flexibility with one of those devices than one in your vehicle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes!...Imagine. You hook up your Wii to your portable screens or built in video system in your awesome GM vehicle. But....before you leave the house you add your kids movies (Dora the Explorer) to your Netflix instant queue. You then connect your Wii to your WiFi and stream your Netflix movies right to your vehicle through the Wii. Oh man....this feature has loads of promise. When I was a kid......entertainment in the car was counting the number of "red" cars we drove by.....then trying to break that record.

·
Registered
186 Posts
interesting....c'mon , more info from anyone out there.... my kids would love to bring the laptop with them on trips

·
Registered
47 Posts
almost any new smartphone can do this. Verizon is another $20/month but if you root the phone it's free. The motorola x and D2, HTC evo and incredible, and many more will be a wi-fi hotspot.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
EjK2010 said:
Yes!...Imagine. You hook up your Wii to your portable screens or built in video system in your awesome GM vehicle. But....before you leave the house you add your kids movies (Dora the Explorer) to your Netflix instant queue. You then connect your Wii to your WiFi and stream your Netflix movies right to your vehicle through the Wii. Oh man....this feature has loads of promise. When I was a kid......entertainment in the car was counting the number of "red" cars we drove by.....then trying to break that record.

ROFLOL!!!! I thought we were the only ones who did that!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts