Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oct 31 bought a 2010 2LT. LOVE IT! After 2 days of driving noticed that the door locks occasionally stopped working both on the key fob and at the door on the inside. The only way to open the door was to manually lift the lock from the inside or use the key in the door. So we took it back to the dealership for them to add the window tint and told them of the problem. Of course the locks worked when we dropped it off and the guys at the dealership looked at us like we were crazy - User Error!

Next day I get a call from the dealership and the service manager got "locked" in the Traverse because the locks would not open. Nothing on the key fob, nothing from the push button on the inside, only manual or with the key. So now they believe me.....and I have a gremlin :banghead:.

So dealership has had the Traverse for the past 4 days and can not find the gremlin causing the problem. Any ideas or anyone have similar problems?

Fortunately I am holding the check for it until they fix the problem. I am seriously thinking about asking for a different Traverse and letting them keep that one. I have no desire to pay $36,000 for a SUV with phantom electrical problems!

I love the ride and I know it is not a dealership caused problem so I have no issues staying with them. But from a build quality standpoint, the panel behind the drivers seat also fell off because it came with broken clips from the factory. This is my first GM product. And although I am impressed with the Traverse (love it), I am really questioning the "Chevy" quality. I still want the model - just not sure about the first one I picked out.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
11,424 Posts
I too have a 2010 Traverse. (1LT) Built on the day after Spring Hill came back up from their being down.
No issued with it...
Im surprissed with the panel- I wonder if someone test drove it- and 'broke' it.....
As for the electrical--- hmmm may be as simple as a loose connection... warm/cold temps may be enough to make or brake the connection....
hope it gets resolved.....
I now have 4000 miles on my 2010...

·
Registered
551 Posts
I don't think anyone has had this issue before, at least not that I have heard. With that being said, obviously it is an issue you want fixed, and a major issue. If the dealer does fix it keep all your paper work for a paper trail if the issue comes up again. I wouldn't be worried about Chevy's build quality, most of us here would say it is good, not great, but overall very good and much improved over years past.

You say you are holding the check for 36K until this issue gets resolved? How is that!? How did you take the car home for 4 days without paying for it ;D Maybe I misunderstood something, but normally you have to pay for the car before they let you leave! Or you mean you can cancel the check? You paid cash for it?

·
Registered
11,424 Posts
maybe she falls under the 60 day return thingy?

·
Registered
551 Posts
rbarrios said:
maybe she falls under the 60 day return thingy?
I thought of that, but as I understood it you can take either a $500 rebate OR the 60 day return, not both. I would assume most people take the rebate (as I did). However that may be the case, but you would not be holding a check.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
rbarrios,

Nope we picked the car off of the hauler and drove it home same day. It had 2 miles on it when we bought it and had 42 when we took it back to the dealership.

So broken panel on back of the driver seat was definitely done at the factory.

I am coming off of 15 years of driving Hondas. Like I said love the Traverse, just not the problems.

Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So how am I still holding on to payment? My brother the GM? Do I know something they don't?

No - just got a loan from Pentagon Federal and they mailed me the check. Dealership let me take the car home after proving that I had the loan, etc. They got it back with 42 miles on it to work on the lock problem. And it is safe and sound in their service bay.

I told the dealership that they would get their check when I got my Traverse back without the problems. They understood and were quite okay with that. I just feel bad for the poor tech that is having to troubleshoot it.

Simple leverage, they have their SUV and I have my $$. The deal is not done until the money is in the bank - their bank!

The dealership has been great to work with and I know this is not a problem caused by them. I just can not rationalize taking an new SUV with electrical gremlins. If I get another one it will be from the same dealership. They will sell me a car - just might not be that one.

I am really hoping that it is a loose wire or something else that is simple to fix. We are planning a long road trip over the holidays and I do not need any issues with the electrical system half way there.

I just want the SUV back! It will be a week tomorrow - and as of my last discussion with them today they are no closer to fixing the Traverse.

GM wowed me with this product and I have come back home with my car choice. Everytime I see one of you folks out there driving by in your Traverse, Acadia, Outlook, or Enclave I get a tear in my eye because I miss mine........

·
Registered
11,424 Posts
at this point- can you just say--- I want that one--- and point at one sitting on the lot?

as a comparison to yours having 2 miles as it came off the trailer....
I ordered my 2010-- when it came off the trailer- it had about about 350 miles on it!
Turns out it was built the day after the factory came back up--- and it was pulled off the line-they ran emissions tests on the engine-- 350 miles-- about a tankful of gas.... appears to have been on rollers.
Im thinking they also went over the vehicle and gave it some sort of inspection to see how the build quality was. I have no problems with it-- so maybe it was a very good thing that they chose it to test and inspect... didnt hurt I also received $750 rebate for the miles they put on....

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
rbarrios said:
at this point- can you just say--- I want that one--- and point at one sitting on the lot?

as a comparison to yours having 2 miles as it came off the trailer....
I ordered my 2010-- when it came off the trailer- it had about about 350 miles on it!
Turns out it was built the day after the factory came back up--- and it was pulled off the line-they ran emissions tests on the engine-- 350 miles-- about a tankful of gas.... appears to have been on rollers.
Im thinking they also went over the vehicle and gave it some sort of inspection to see how the build quality was. I have no problems with it-- so maybe it was a very good thing that they chose it to test and inspect... didnt hurt I also received $750 rebate for the miles they put on....

When I was buying my FWD Traverse, I needed to know the FWD would be adequate for the steep driveway at my home in the mountains. I took a FWD LS to the mountains to check its surefootedness, or lack thereof, then brought it back to the dealer. I logged on 220 miles in one afternoon, wonder if the salesman told the ultimate buyer of that LS about the emission testing, as well.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Folks, keep in mind that lemon laws require a LOT of problems over a very short time period.

There is not ONE car sold today that will not experience a problem within the first year of ownership. Not one. Cars and Trucks are very complex mechanical devices, and even becoming more electrical/computerized too. This is one main reason I buy GM products, as they are so much easier to work on that Japanese. I say this because my father is a certified mechanical engineer. He and I do a LOT of our own work on cars. Between us and other family members, we've owned a number of makes of cars today and over the years. 20+ years ago, Japanese were the ones to own by and far. But, today it's 180 reversed. My sister owns a couple Toyotas, and they are complete crap for build and longevity quality. My father's last Honda is also falling apart long before it should have with little issues all over the vehicle. The last 6 Chevy's I've owned since the early 90's have all worked as expected up through 100K miles where I traded them in before they lost equity and to get new features/model/etc. The few minor issues they saw were so easy and cheap to fix it's silly. My dad still owns his 92 Suburban with 270K miles. Sure we've worked a lot on that old SUV, but it's so fun to work on and easy to maintain we just can't get rid of it.

Anyway, that's my experience/opinion in brevity.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
"Folks, keep in mind that lemon laws require a LOT of problems over a very short time period."

Keep in mind, Lemon Law criteria vary within our states. A LOT of problems may not be the key issue.....one item that stands out is how many days ( 30 days seemingly being the magic number ) a vehicle sits in a shop during the Lemon Law period. In some states, down time is calculated within 1 yr/ 12000 miles, other states are 2 yrs / 24000 miles, etc.

Bob

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Narg,

Could not agree more. Besides the dealership has been nothing but helpful. This is a build issue, not a dealership issue! I have a way out because I have not completed the transaction so no Lemon Laws apply - yet - fingers crossed!

Anyway - got a call today they "think" they have it fixed and I should be able to get it back tomorrow - Nov 13....7 days after dropping it off. Way to go service tech guy! :woot:

I plan on finishing the transaction for better or worse tomorrow. But I do so in confidence that an outstanding dealership stands behind their product 100% - as demonstrated up to this point! I am still excited about the new ride - err the wife is as she is taking it and I am getting her BMW to drive on a daily basis.

I am still a happy customer, and can not wait to get the new Traverse home - for more than one week. I will update as needed, but I hope this will end this issue.

Happy driving folks! And I look forward to putting 100+K on this baby! And the Griswold family road trip this holiday season!!!!!! :banana:

Now what to name it?

*****UPDATE******

Picked it up today (Friday the 13th) and the tech guys showed me the problem. It was a $.35 connector switch that was shorted out. I have to give it up to the tech guys for working so diligently on it!

Funny thing ~ when I dropped it off it had 42 miles, when I got it back 7 days later it had 300 miles on it. Now that I think about it the tech guys look a lot like the 2 parking attendants from Ferris Buller's Day Off! ;)

But it is working and that is all I care about! PERFECTION!

Love the ride and yes the wife is happy her new baby is home ~ at least I will get to drive it on the weekends when I play chauffeur.

So to the folks who guessed bad switch/connection - winner, winner, chicken dinner! And the folks at Knipplemier Chevy in Blanchard, USA! Thanks for the outstanding customer service. And to the finance guy - go cash that check!!!!!!!!

Happy driving folks - see you on the road! I'm the guy who will let you in when no one else will during bumper to bumper traffic.

·
Registered
11,424 Posts
funny about the name...

We speak spanish in our home.
In english- I call it what it is-- the Traverse.....
In spanish------- I jokingly call it -Traviesa..... which is defined as mischievous, naughty. The words traverse and traviesa are fairly close in spanish..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great info rbarrios

rbarrios said:
funny about the name...we usually call a car the color followed by berry

BMW is blue so it is the blueberry, the traverse is Red Jewel so it should be the cranberry, but is just seems to BIG to be a cranberry.

We speak spanish in our home.
In english- I call it what it is-- the Traverse.....
In spanish------- I jokingly call it -Traviesa..... which is defined as mischievous, naughty. The words traverse and traviesa are fairly close in spanish..
I am going to have to start a thread and ask the group!

Happy driving amigo! See you on the road....

·
Registered
407 Posts
Sorry I'm late to this thread, but WHY the 300 miles??? That makes no sense, why were they driving this when they were trying to figure out an electrical issue.....am I missing something? As for the vehicle itself, you had not been "delivered" when you first took it home, so you didn't have to take it, however....would you swap this possible problem, for something similar or worse? One would never know. You sound a lot like me, I always give the benefit of the doubt, and am far less to jump to dispute over things, but I really would question the 300 miles. True, your warranty doesn't start till you take delivery, which your paperwork should show 300, but I'm still wondering....is the VIN number the same, did you check? But, like I said....most likely it's all legit, just can't understand what they were trying to do with driving it, other than around the parking lot, and that's a LOT of driving in circles.

·
Registered
11,424 Posts
im wondering if the dealer- had it sent to another dealer to try and diagnose the problem...
a dealer about 100 miles away?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The missing 300 miles?!?

Well it has the same VIN -

Well to guess - they tinted the windows for me as part the deal - so dealership to the tint shop and back was about 60 miles roundtrip......give or take a stop at Hooters or Buffalo Wild Wings for a "snack"

The trip the dealership from my place is about 25 round trip

So that leaves about 225 miles on it for them to figure out the problem.

I know that the issues only happened after it was driven for a while, and then the locks would not work for a bit after you stopped, then they would start working again.

So if it took them 225 miles to figure out the problem, drives in the country, trip to another dealership, whatever it took - that is fine with me! Well worth it! I was so happy they fixed it that I was willing to take them for a drive to the wing place!

All in all if this is a good product - when I am thinking a 50,000/X many year warranty, should I really be worried about 300 miles in the end - I hope not!

Still love the ride!!!!! Working on some picts. It has been raining and is snowing tonight so I will get to see how the FWD works on the roads in the am....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey Deberly, Do you happen to have a part number for the replaced part or a description of what they said they had to correct? I'm having the same issue with my '10 Acadia SLE. Just took it to the dealer yesterday and of course the problem was not there. It's becoming very annoying having to lock and unlock each door. Hopefully any information I can pass along to my dealer will help them fix this for me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am having the same issue with the locks in cold weather. From the string of postings, it appears that no one has determined the root cause.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts