Traverse Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering every time I start vehicle the rear view mirror auto dim comes on even in the daylight. I have to turn power button off is this normal? It would make more sense to turn on when needed or automatically sense night and today. Or do I need to take back to dealer to look at?

John

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
I wasnt aware auto dim mirrors have a power button....

my 2010 LT1- has the button for the rear view camera image (on/off) button. then theres the phone buttons, onstar button and the Emergency button.
and 2 small LEDs on either side to indicate status....

on the right side-- is a small light sensor that detects the light being shined on it-- from cars behind you---
if it senses the headlights from a car behind you- it dims the mirror (proportionately) to the headlights intensity.

To test it--- at night- with vehicles behind you- you can put your finger over the sensor- and it will get rid of dimming- you will see the image lighten up.
remove your finger- and within a few seconds- you will note the mirror change and begin to dim...

Maybe upper trims have an on/off button for dimming?

·
Super Moderator
2,043 Posts
rbarrios,

Do you have auto-dimming on your 1LT? Its not even an option in Canada on the 1LT, but standard on the 2LT and LTZ.

Regards,

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
Yes- I have auto dimming on my 2010 1LT.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes there is a power button for it. I have the touchscreen nav system so backup camera is there. I have the travelor's edition just like 1LT. Rbarrios how does yours work? I have 4 buttons the regular onstar towards right and more to left the button with symbol that is round with vertical line(power icon) which turns auto dim on/off

·
Super Moderator
2,043 Posts
What does the auto dimming button look like? Now I am wondering if mine will have it too. I will find out tomorrow when I can finally pick it up!! :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
2,043 Posts
Nevermind. Just looked in the brochure. When you order the rearview camera, you get the auto dimming feature. I didn't order the camera, so no auto dimming. Too bad.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I am not sure if this will help or not but here is my experience.

Do you have anything adhered to the back of the mirror, facing the windshield?

I think that the auto-dimming mirror on my 08 Enclave has two sensors. One that is already mentioned here, is the one that faces towards the rear of the vehicle. This dims the mirror when a headlight from behind you illuminates the mirror. There is also an ambient light sensor on my mirror, on the back of the mirror facing the front of the vehicle. I think this one tells the mirror whether it should even activate the dimming feature at all.

My wife had placed a velcro backed parking pass on the back of her mirror, right over the top of the ambient light sensor. This made the mirror believe it was pitch black outside 24 hours a day and the mirror was always dim during the daylight hours. I removed the parking pass and the mirror immediately lightened up. Problem solved.

Could this be your problem?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have the toll pass also but this problem was happening before that. I will check the sensor though, Thanks. This might be a programming issue. Thanks for the input I appreciate it.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Sorry these are not the best pictures in the world, came out blurry. I too have a power button that I can turn the auto dim off/on. Also took a pic of the back, not sure if this is what every mirror looks like or not.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts