Traverse Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just wondering what kind of audio connections people are using to listen to music from other devices.

Obviously, the simple answer is to use either the aux in port or the USB jack in some models.

First, since I haven't seen any mention of it here, am I correct in assuming that Chevy has not yet added bluetooth audio streaming capability to the Traverse? (I see that you could stream bluetooth audio in the Camaro as of 2010). I currently have a Sony aftermarket stereo in my Saturn that allows me to do that, and I find it extremely handy.

Second, is the USB port only compatible with iPod/iPhone devices, or can it read Android phones as well? If it can play from non-iPod devices, are you able to control them from the Nav screen or do you still have to use the on-phone controls?

I do have an iPod, but I frequently use my Droid when driving because I prefer to listen to Pandora. If I could access that via Bluetooth or the USB port in the Traverse, I'd be happy. Anything that uses visible wires (like the AUX-in jack) I'm much less likely to use.

I also have Griffin TuneFlex AUX mount, which is a nice mount for the iPod that charges it and holds it wherever you like (it plugs into the lighter socket and has a flexible arm). However, it has an audio cable that has to be plugged into the aux-in jack. I don't like leaving accessories visible (I'm a little jaded after parking in the Bronx for the past 10 years) and having to plug the iPod to the TuneFlex, the TuneFlex to the lighter socket, and the audio cable to the stereo every time I want to use it makes it virtually useless except on long road trips.

PS
Confession: I just test drove a Traverse (LTZ) for the first time tonight. Exceeded my expectations in every way!

·
Registered
107 Posts
I don't think the USB can play other players other than ipod/jump drive, here is from the manual:

Radios that have a USB port can
play.mp3 and .wma files that are
stored on a USB storage device
as well as AAC files that are stored
on an iPod®.

In addition, all the bluetooth features are related to cell phone in the manual

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since the USB port can charge an iPod while it plays, I wonder if it has enough power to run, say, an external harddrive (2.5" laptop version)? I'm sure it would be easier to just get a thumbdrive and use that as a dedicated car audio library (heck, you can get 128gb thumb drives for less than an 8gb iPod Nano these days), but I'm curious if it would work. Somebody try it! Also curious what the on screen interface is like (on the Nav screen) if you have a simple USB drive plugged in rather than an iPod.

Not that I have anywhere near 128gb of music. Of course, either of those choices probably wouldn't allow you to watch video like you could from an iPod anyway (with a Lockpick)... Looks like if I want to stream Pandora to my car, I'm going to have to either get an iPhone (now that Verizon has one...) or use (GASP!) VISIBLE WIRES!!!

:'( :eyebrow:

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Matno said:
Since the USB port can charge an iPod while it plays, I wonder if it has enough power to run, say, an external harddrive (2.5" laptop version)? I'm sure it would be easier to just get a thumbdrive and use that as a dedicated car audio library (heck, you can get 128gb thumb drives for less than an 8gb iPod Nano these days), but I'm curious if it would work. Somebody try it! Also curious what the on screen interface is like (on the Nav screen) if you have a simple USB drive plugged in rather than an iPod.
And since you mention that, I wonder if I can plug my laptop to the USB port, and use my ENTIRE music Library ( about 12 constant days without repeating a song ;D ).

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Saw this on the Enclave forum:

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/daily-news/110107-GM-To-Add-Wireless-Cell-Phone-Charging-In-2012/

Wonder if/when this will make it to the Lambdas? Not sure that I'd use it since the PowerMat requires a special case for your phone/iPod/etc that is still rather bulky, but the concept is awesome. Right now I just wish my existing charger had more power. It will slowly charge the phone if it's not being used, but if I'm using GPS it still drains the battery. The other day I used the GPS while simultaneously talking on the phone (I have the original Motorola Droid), and it fully drained a half-charged battery in half an hour, in spite of being plugged in the whole time. Doh! Unfortunately, I really like having a retractable cord on my charger, and I can't find one that has both the retractable cord and enough amps for a "quick" charge. (I don't know for sure since the retractable ones are all generic Chinese ones, but I'm guessing they don't have more than 0.5amps, and I think I need something capable of at least 1.0amp for rapid charging).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts