Traverse Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious to know if anyone that has had a 2009 or newer Chevy Traverse has contacted an attorney over the timing chain issues. I'm looking to contact an attorney but and wondering if anybody has dealt with one and had success with getting their timing chain fixed

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm just confused as I've talked to GM about my timing chain problem and the advisor is denying any help with my repair and as I asked her why they would deny my claim and basically because my warranty is over 4,000 miles so I was curious to know if she could explain to me why the timing chain goes out on the vehicles and she said she doesn't deal with any of the technical stuff. So basically I don't know why I'm dealing with somebody who doesn't know anything about technical issues and she can deny any help without knowing if it's a GM problem or do to my oil changes that I had done / the certified pre-owned warranty that I had and had my vehicle serviced for two years with a certified Chevrolet dealer. So she is telling me that even though I had my vehicle serviced for two years at a Chevrolet dealership that my issues started when I stopped servicing my vehicle at Chevrolet and getting my oil changes somewhere other than a certified dealership.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Why GM is doing this stupid thing to all the owners of these problematic years. They should stand behind their mistakes and compensate all the owners with this issue. Anyway the 3.6 liters is on his way out and it will be a good thing to replace this engine with something more reliable.

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
I get letters in the mail all the time-- at least 1 per month-- from ambulance chasing law firms/lawyers..

Do you own a Traverse.

We can help you this and that...

·
Registered
2 Posts
2020 and Timing chain issues still persist with little to no help from dealerships and GM. I have a 2010 Chevy Traverse. I replaced the timing chains at 46,000 miles in 2016 conviently right after my extended 5 year warranty was up. Now in 2020 with only $40,000 more miles on the vehicle, I am told it needs timing chains again. Everyone I speak to knows how ridiculous this is EXCEPT the dealership and GM.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
It's too bad you didn't join the forum sooner. We would have told you check your oil level more often and change it at 5000 miles or less. The vehicle is now 11 years old . I don't think any attorney will take on your cause, but good luck. Only thing that might help you is if the dealer neglected to re-program the oil life monitor when they replaced the chain (assuming you had it done at a GM dealer).

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's too bad you didn't join the forum sooner. We would have told you check your oil level more often and change it at 5000 miles or less. The vehicle is now 11 years old . I don't think any attorney will take on your cause, but good luck. Only thing that might help you is if the dealer neglected to re-program the oil life monitor when they replaced the chain (assuming you had it done at a GM dealer).
I always kept an eye on my oil. The indicator lets you know how much oil life you have left. But thank you for the input. I appreciate your feedback.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
I always kept an eye on my oil. The indicator lets you know how much oil life you have left. But thank you for the input. I appreciate your feedback.
If by "kept an eye on my oil," you mean you changed it when the indicator, which is what I'm talking about, told you to, then that's a part of your problem.

The indicator is called an Oil Life Monitor (OLM). On the 2010's it was not programmed correctly, given the too-small oil ports to feed oil to the timing chain. As part of the timing chain issue, if you had the chain replaced, the OLM was supposed to be reprogrammed to drop to 0% FASTER. If they didn't do that, you might have a claim. Even with the reprogramming, it's been questioned if even the new program is adequate. The early 6.0 liter engines also burned a lot of oil, leading to loss of 1/2 to 1 qts of oil or more in 5000 miles. So between too long oil change intervals and low oil levels, the timing chains would not get enough oil. So if you were not also checking your oil levels weekly or monthly, you also have an issue.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Thanks green traverse. Absolute truth there. Oil Life Monitor is not a guarantee that oil is still serviceable--or that sufficient oil remains in the crankcase. Weekly oil checks--pulling the dipstick and checking the level--combined with regular changes will go a long, long way to engine life. Technology is no substitute for tried and proven common sense approaches.

Reactions: AlisoBob

·
Registered
593 Posts
The OLM does NOT monitor the oil. Its a algorithm of elapsed time, fuel burned, average miles driven per trip, total mileage driven and a few other parameters that allows the computer to GUESS what the oil condition is.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
The OLM does NOT monitor the oil. Its a algorithm of elapsed time, fuel burned, average miles driven per trip, total mileage driven and a few other parameters that allows the computer to GUESS what the oil condition is.
Yeah, it IS a bit of a misnomer - LOL

·
Registered
880 Posts
I am now doing what was suggested by another forum member. Even though I do use the OLM on my 2015, I don't let go down past 10%. I also reset my Trip B Odometer and use it to indicate to change the oil between 3K and 4K. I do use Full Synthetic and I believe it is superior to Dino. I had 212K on my 2008 and never had timing Chain Issues.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Hi "VI" is the key. Synthetics are thinner when cold and thicker when hot to provide the best possible lubrication. Different parts of the engine run at vastly different temperatures. Any chain runs pretty hot due to mechanical friction and centrifugal forces constantly slinging the oil AWAY from where it needs to be. Having High VI is important to timing chain life.

Attachments

·
Registered
374 Posts
A bit of thread hijacking, but related to VI: Back in 1968 when I built my '56 BelAir (300 hp 327), I was putting in a rebuilt 3-speed manual. Thinking I wanted to be smarter than the average bear, I added a can of STP to the 90W gear lube, with the intent of reducing friction and prolonging transmission life. The car spent most of the next 2-3 years in Sacramento with few problems, but I drove home to Utah in October one year. Needless to say, those mornings when overnight temps dropped to the 30s were extremely difficult when it came time to shift. The STP really thickened the gear lube until warm!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm curious to know if anyone that has had a 2009 or newer Chevy Traverse has contacted an attorney over the timing chain issues. I'm looking to contact an attorney but and wondering if anybody has dealt with one and had success with getting their timing chain fixed
I bought a used 2009 Traverse from a private sale on our NextDoor Ap. The guy sold it to me for $6k in October 2018, I am a single Mom who had absolute no idea about this horrific timing chain and problem vehicle. I have not had a car to drive since last summer. The Traverse just sits with expired CA tags from August 2019 on them. I do not have $3k to get the timing chain fixed. I am desparately looking for any assistance or advice on what to do at this point.

·
Registered
374 Posts

I bought a used 2009 Traverse from a private sale on our NextDoor Ap. The guy sold it to me for $6k in October 2018, I am a single Mom who had absolute no idea about this horrific timing chain and problem vehicle. I have not had a car to drive since last summer. The Traverse just sits with expired CA tags from August 2019 on them. I do not have $3k to get the timing chain fixed. I am desparately looking for any assistance or advice on what to do at this point.
At this point you have two choices: Repair the vehicle, or buy another. The timing chain problems have been well known for years and have been publicized extensively. Market research before purchasing would have identified the issue for you, as would having the vehicle inspected by a qualified mechanic prior to purchase. I understand your situation; suggest you research your local area for a competent, qualified mechanic to perform the required maintenance. It won't be inexpensive, as you have already noted.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2020 and Timing chain issues still persist with little to no help from dealerships and GM. I have a 2010 Chevy Traverse. I replaced the timing chains at 46,000 miles in 2016 conviently right after my extended 5 year warranty was up. Now in 2020 with only $40,000 more miles on the vehicle, I am told it needs timing
chains again. Everyone I speak to knows how ridiculous this is EXCEPT the dealership and GM.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello this is exactly what happened to me I replaced in 2018 on a 2009 Traverse I bought brand new it was at 75000 miles and today i now have 111000 miles and I was told have to replace again

1 - 20 of 24 Posts