Traverse Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 Traverse LTZ currently on order. I did not order NAV, but I do plan on frequently using an aftermarket Garmin GPS unit. Instead of dragging out the cord and windshield suction mount everytime I want to use it I was thinkin about hardwiring in the power cord. Has anyone else done this? Also, where have you guys found the best spot to use / mount /stick your portable GPS's. Thanks.....Mark.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I didn't hard wire mine but I use a vent mount. Put it right above the radio in left vent.

·
Registered
223 Posts
[/color] I use the sandbag dash mount,put it to the left of the Dash ,works great.Ran the wire along and down to the lighter.Just pull up on the Radio Grill and slide the wire under.

·
Registered
11,568 Posts
if youre a good do it yourself guy-- you can run power from the rear view mirror.
Theres a plug on the back of it-- which provides 12V, and I believe it turns off after 10 min.
you could then run a cable along the headliner and down the side- and into the location of your GPS.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I also used a mount on the left vent, just like kawazar.... very accessible, gives you clear view of the windshield, and not illegal in some states where it's not permitted to stick anything on the windshield.

·
Registered
70 Posts
This is similar to mounting a radar detector. I mounted mine on the cover of the dash storage unit. I ran the wire through the hinge opening, pulled the side molding and removed the radio/nav unit, which took 10 minutes, ran the wire behind the radio and snaked it to the back of the power outlet. This is also a good grounding spot, since some of the screws behind the radio/nav unit are not grounded and I didn't want to mess with the wires in the bundles behind he nav unit. This is not switched, so if you're going to leave something on, it will drain the battery in 2 weeks, depending on what is plugged in. I didn't notch the cover, but the wire to my detector is basically a telephone wire, and the cover closes 98%. In the future, I will make a hole for the cord in the bottom of the storage cubby so it doesn't go through the hinge opening. I will also notch the cover.
When I park in a public place, I take off the detector, which is held on by velcro, which works great since the area is pretty flat and place the unit into the storage spot. I don't have to disconnect the wire and it takes 10 seconds. I have found this system works very well. Taking out the radio was a snap, it has been described here before. A word of caution, place towels on the console and cover the radio/nav unit when working to prevent any damage.

Ray
2010 Travelers Ed.
Nav, tow, Bose, AWD, Valentine
Prius
bunch of Vettes

·
Registered
3 Posts
I stick my TomTom between the humps of the tachometer and speedometer...fits in there nicely. And the cord will reach the back cig outlet so the wife can charge her phone on the front one.

2009 Traverse LT2

·
Registered
3 Posts
AA/78U said:
Furyguy

Which model of TomTom are you using; I have the 530W; interested in seeing the placement of your GPS
Have an old TomTom One...I leave the suction cup piece. It is small enough to fit nicely in the space....will try and take a pic.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I also use a vent-mount on the left above the radio. Used a couple of stick on cord clips to secure the cord down the front and along gthe edge of the center console to the 12V power connector at the back of the console. Very satisfied with the arrangement.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok Guys, now for the stupid question.......I have the car, I purchased the Hardwire Kit along with the Vent Mount, have read up on how to remove the trim and radio for access to wiring, now......I've seen guys refer to the "rear lighter plug", what exactly is that? Is it simply the rear of the plug in outlet located in front of the shifter? Any other ideas on what to tie the power into behind there that would be a "switched" power source? I plan on running the power cord up and into the upper storage compartment so I can simply open the lid and plug in the GPS right in front of it while in the vent mount. Anyone else do it this way? Sorry if this has been covered, what my search revealed was not of help. thanks......Mark.

·
Registered
272 Posts
The rear lighter plug is behind the center arm rest installed in the center console, accessible from the 2nd row.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Superboy95 said:
I just bought the ProClips vehicle mount for the Traverse. They ARE expensive, $30 for it, and they want another $35 for the device holder for my Navigon 2100. I didn't buy the device holder, as I had a mount from my Go Pro camera that matched my navigation unit's mount. The vehicle mount fits like a glove, although it uses tape to hold it in, so it's not easily removable. Thanks for the link, Superboy95!

·
Registered
37 Posts
When my cheapo vent mount broke, I bought the Proclip system, too. Expensive, but mounts easily and very securely. Very happy with it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts