Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past spring I had my wheels replaced, from that point on I've noticed some road noise. It has become worse over the past couple months and I've taken it in to 2 dealers, both say it's normal. I don't buy it....

So today i'm looking at my tires, i write down all the numbers from each tire to make sure they are the same - all checks out good. Then I start looking at the tread and notice some unusaul wear on the driver side(see pic 1). I then check the passenger side and nothing, looks good (pic 2).

Then it clicks, the driver side wheel tread(front & rear) is going the opposite way as the passenger side. Could this be causing my road noise?? Did they mount my tires backwards on one side?

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Usually directional tires have an arrow on them indicating such. I don't see that on the forteras....

·
Registered
718 Posts
I agree, I don't see anything indicating that they are directional.

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
But if you notice that they are spinning in the other direction.... then I would turn those around....
Cant hurt to try
looks like that leading edge may be 'slapping' the ground

·
Registered
465 Posts
Looks like you drive on gravel to get that kinda wear between the threads......

A

·
0 Posts
-A little late to this thread-

The Fortera's are not directional; this seems to be reserved for more "high end" tires

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. I don't drive on gravel, all the roads are paved here.. LoL

I would think that if you have tires installed that all the treads should face the same direction, no?? Or would you have 2 going the opposite direction??

I'm dropping it off tomorrow for another issue so Ima goin to look at the other traverses' tires, I wanna see which way is correct. If the ones with the strange wear on them (on my car) are in fact backwards, i'm going to ask for new ones.. :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2LT AWD said:
Looks like you drive on gravel to get that kinda wear between the threads......
Wouldn't the other side have the same wear then??

·
Registered
73 Posts
You could always try rolling all the windows down to see which side the noise is coming from, then drive backwards to see if the noise comes from the other side :happy:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ironjoey said:
You could always try rolling all the windows down to see which side the noise is coming from, then drive backwards to see if the noise comes from the other side :happy:
I'll try that today on the highway doing like 80.. LoL!

Seriously though, I looked at a few other traverses in the lot this morning and confirmed 2 of mine are backwards, on the side where the noise is coming from.

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
I Looked at my tires
And 1 side the tread points forward... the other side they point back...As soon as you rotate the tires- theyll do the same thing.
I didnt look at the inner tread pattern- once I get some light...
Ill take pics of my tires/tread and post them.
But I dont think im getting any funny wear. I dont get sound.

·
Registered
79 Posts
rbarrios said:
I Looked at my tires
And 1 side the tread points forward... the other side they point back...As soon as you rotate the tires- theyll do the same thing.
But... I will not be rotating my tires from side to side so they will not get balanced out.

My neighborhood Goodyear tire shop showed me a recent advisory to keep radial tires on the same side of the vehicle, regardless of if they are non-directional.

Front to back, and back to front. No side to side.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Carl_NDelta said:
But... I will not be rotating my tires from side to side so they will not get balanced out.

My neighborhood Goodyear tire shop showed me a recent advisory to keep radial tires on the same side of the vehicle, regardless of if they are non-directional.

Front to back, and back to front. No side to side.

Said shop is also in the business of selling tires. Improper rotation leads to reduced tread life and the sooner you'll be in for buying a set of new shoes. Your owners manual shows you how the OE tires are to be rotated. The Fortera's are non-directional, so they can follow the 'forward cross' or 'rear cross' (depending how you want to word it) tire rotation.

The OP's pics do show some irregular wear.

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
Ill be rotating my tires in about 300 miles- when I reach 20,000. Last rotation was at about 10,000. (I know manual states 6-8000 miles)- but 10K is easier to remember.
But Ive rotated following the pattern shown in the manual- front to back- and back to front diagonally.

·
Registered
34 Posts
That tire wear you see in that Pic 'could' be related to an alignment issue (like too much/not enough Toe maybe?).

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
How is the air pressure in the tire?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Interesting responses & veiws on rotating tires....

it turns out that all of them "were" going the same direction at one point but the dealer told me they cross rotate - front right to left rear, front left to right rear. Add to that, new wheels were put on earlier this spring. So that explains the reversed tread on one side.

My pressures are always between 35 - 37 and the alignment was checked last month when I complained about the road noise, evrything was within specs. I've aslo had 3 rotations done with 21,000 miles on the vehicle, averaging 7,000 miles..... I'm generally very thourough when it comes to maintaining my families vehicles.

I'm going to rotate them this weekend to see if the noise goes away or to the rear.. I'll post an update with how it turns out...

·
Registered
79 Posts
bigtallvandy said:
Said shop is also in the business of selling tires. Improper rotation leads to reduced tread life and the sooner you'll be in for buying a set of new shoes.
That thought had crossed my mind but I'm old enough to remember driving a Plymouth that had the infamous Firestone radials of the mid 70's which resulted in advisory to only rotate front to back. I haven't gone side to side for years as just when I was starting to accept that maybe radials can be built "right" I starting putting directional tires on my vehicles. I think the last tires I went side to side with were extra wide bias plys I stuffed into the wheel wells of my '69 Olds Cutlass coupe which I drove from 79 thru 81. Old habits die hard.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
rbarrios said:
I didnt look at the inner tread pattern- once I get some light...
I'll bet the inside of the tread is the same type, but opposite direction as the outside of the tire. This is how MOST tires' treads are designed, so that it doesn't matter what side of the vehicle they go on, and can be rotated, and perform the same either way. There are, however, some tires that are not directional, that still have different segments of tread. The outter third is one design, made for a specific type of advantage, the middle third is yet another design, usually to sweep away water, and for constant contact, and the inner third yet a different design that the other 2/3 of the tread. Still these are NOT directional in most cases.

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
yeah im thinking that no matter how you put the tires on-- one side will always have the outer edge tread appear to be turning in the wrong direction.
I have not had the chance to take a look at the inner tread--- but well see...

When you rotate make good mental notes-- and or pics of which direction the outer treat is point at...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts