Traverse Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do like our new Dark Cherry LT1 but I must admit when it comes to exterior appearance I sometimes wish I had bought the Acadia. A friend has a white Acadia and when they are sitting side by side I think the Acadia looks better. I don't know how much it is due to the color and how much is due to style but it is probably some of both. I do like white but bought the Dark Cherry because it had the options that we wanted. The only white one on the lot was several thousand dollars more.

If there were only a few accessories available for the Traverse exterior it would help. What do you think of the following. Maybe someone will see this and start making them:

1. Replacement front blinker/parking light assy with a driving light built in the round area and the other lights relocated within the assembly. Also, a chrome trim ring around only the round driving light area. (Kind of like the new Equinox driving light.)

2. Some type of chrome or metal 'skid' plate at the very bottom of the front bumper cover. (Equinox) again something like the like they put on the new Equinox.

3. Some type of chrome 'trim' on the roof rails.

4. Chrome trim for around the tail lights or custom tail lights (something needs to change with the looks of the back)

5. Custom cat-back dual exhauast (only the LTZ gets chrome dual exhaust tips! dumb)

6. Some type of trim piece to break up the shape of the back a bit. (see item 4 comments in parenthesis.)

Again, I like it but would like to change a few things.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
After writing out the check and saying "adios" to the dealer, I think it's a little late for me to think and wonder if I made a mistake.

Is the Traverse the best looking in the GM lineup ???? I don't think so.

Is the Traverse more reasonably priced than the others in the GM line up???? Yes.

·
Registered
551 Posts
For me personally, I had to go LTZ or nothing on the Traverse. The wife liked it, I was not sold on the looks, especially the rear. After seeing one equiped the way I wanted and driving it, I liked it better then the acadia. Even at the ls or lt models you get a good car for a good price.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We ended up with an LTZ which I like the looks of better than the Acadia. Had we not gotten the LTZ, then I would probably be envious of the Acadia. All in all, you get more for the money with the Traverse, so we were pretty set on getting one.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The styling is bland (especially in the back) but if Chevys goal was to create a crossover that was more visually appealing than sales champs Pilot and Highlander, they did a great job!

Style is very subjective. Frankly, I think the Acadia looks cheap. I feel like they added style for styles sake, although I wish every Traverse came with dual exhaust!

·
Registered
11,570 Posts
If they had added stuff to the Traverse- to make it more like the other 3 Lambdas--- then wed have the same old GM again........
Im glad they did the 4 significantly different....
The Enclave is the closest to the Trav.... but the Enclave has chrome in places that the trav does not- and is different enough to separate it from the Trav.
So its good each has its own stuff....

Remember last decade- when you could buy a Chevy Suburban and a GMC Suburban and they looked identical from the outside except for maybe the grille and badges?

How about the Cavalier and Sunfire? I can name a bunch of other siblings that were merely the same body with very MINOR tweaks to the outside...
With these lambdas- at least you cant take the fender off an Enclave and stick it on a Trav. or Acadia etc.
Stuff just doesnt bolt up--- and thats good--- they are significantly diff on the outside.

I dont regret my Purchase.
Since I chose to pay cash for my purchase- I wanted my Traverse to be built my way- so I ordered what I needed and left out all other stuff I did not want to pay for- this way I pay for what I really want- no extras. Ive seen multiple post where people end up with stuff they didnt want- but is all the dealer had.. so they end up buying it.
Enclave- too expensive for me.
Acadia/Outlook- didnt really like the outside.
Traverse- I like the style and am a Chevy fan.

I also think I chose the right exterior color. Gold Mist metallic- its actually a VERY nice color- goes well with the chrome door handles and tinted windows. I think it gets an elegant look to the vehicle. In my opinion- the Gold mist color- makes the vehicle look more expensive than lets say a white or grey traverse.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Sounds to me as if you just want more chrome. I'd suggest aftermarket...

I love the looks of the Traverse as it is. It's got very sexy lines. The lack of "flash" or "bling" if you will, actually gives it appeal to me.

I actually like the looks of the Buick version maybe a tad better, but the price difference sold me on the Traverse.

·
Registered
72 Posts
To me, if they just put the license plate on the hatch instead of the bumper it wouldve been good. The back of the Traverse is just too small lights on a large area. That was the only style factor that bugged me. But it grew on me

·
Registered
407 Posts
Narg said:
Sounds to me as if you just want more chrome. I'd suggest aftermarket...

I love the looks of the Traverse as it is. It's got very sexy lines. The lack of "flash" or "bling" if you will, actually gives it appeal to me.

I actually like the looks of the Buick version maybe a tad better, but the price difference sold me on the Traverse.
Just curious what price point your Traverse is at? I got the CX Enclave, got a bunch more standard features, and the sticker was $35,840 for a 2009 with the driver's confidence package (back-up camera, rear parking assist, heated washer fluid, remote start), 8-passenger seating (-$495, but not for 2010...no cost advantage anymore), and tow package. I get dual exhaust, chrome trim around taillights, same swooping window design of the Traverse, but get HID lights, fog lights, turnsignal mirrors, power liftgate, auto climate, full DIC (driver information center), painted aluminum wheels, 18", and probably some other goodies I haven't researched. Also longer warranty on the Buick. However, it seems Buick will not shake the stigma that it's for old people, or the misconception it's too expensive, or flashy. Actually, the Enclave came out less than an Acadia with all those features built back into the price, since the Acadia forces you to a higher trim level to get some of those things, which makes you get leather (which we didn't want), and some other things. I believe the Traverse is similar, but haven't priced out a 2010 to see it that is still true. I guess if you take the base model Traverse, and the base model Enclave, true...price is lower on the Chevy, but build in all those features I mentioned that are standard on the Enclave, and see what trim you have to get, and what the price then is.....I may just go do that now, kind of curious.

As for comparing the Trav to the Acadia.....I like the Traverse better from all angles but the rear..

Edit: $35,240 for a Traverse, 2009 2LT with tow package, cloth seats, FWD. Basically same equipment at my Enclave. So, for me, I got HID lights, fog lights, dual exhaust, longer warranty, for basically $600 more dollars. That doesn't sound that much more TO ME, but it's still a little more than the Traverse.

·
Registered
54 Posts
09Enclave,

We were in a 2009 Enclave that was Jewel Red with tan interior, but it had AWD and moonroofs etc. That "dealer" would not budge below $37,500. The dealer, (or lack thereof), made some differance for us as well. We bought ours sight unseen via the Internet and had it delivered.

The sticker on our 2LT (just under a LTZ trim level) was $37,590 but we paid $33,157 (no trade-in "cash for clunkers" in this deal).

Some of the options you noted are similar on the 2LT, (back-up camera, rear parking assist, heated washer fluid, remote start). We wanted gray leather, 7-passenger seating and did not want to waste our money on AWD or the tow package, (neither of which we would ever need). We did end up with the overhead DVD and Bose sound, etc - but never use it, (we had to rent a DVD to try it). Hopefully, the grandkids will like it. We paid maybe $95 extra for the Black Granite Metallic and since it is garaged for weeks or months at a time, it should last just fine. If I had realized that getting the "California Option", (20" chrome wheels, dual exhausts, etc,) would have raised the speed limiter to 130mph (instead of the leisurely 108mph), I would have looked a bit longer.

Good luck on building a Traverse equipped just like your Enclave. I would bet its nearly impossible to match up.

Regarding the styling, I have to repeat: "Beauty is in the eye of the Beholder". I happen to like the less-cluttered back end and the general sweep of the sides. The dark windows, lower body dark gray, tire/rims and black granite paint - punctuated by a bit of chrome works for me. I feel that the Acadia and Outlook have rather "staid" side/rear profiles by comparison.

However, I did add chrome pillar posts (6-pieces), and have considered installing chromed roof rails if they come up on eBay.

Regards,

·
Registered
551 Posts
I guess that is why they make different models that are almost the same, some people like one while others like the other. Personally for me, I like the traverse better then the enclave.

My sticker on the Traverse was $42 something, I could have gotten an enclave for that. However I went into the dealer and I kid you not ALL old people looking at the cars. I didnt like the wood interior, it just looked like my grandpa's car. That might offend somepeople, but I have heard many say they think the traverse is ugly, to each their own. I was not thrilled at the rear end, but it has grown on me and I actually like it now.

My traverse gets a ton of looks on the road. So far after having it only one week some guy stopped me in a parking lot and wanted to look inside. Just today some guy at the jeep dealer was cupping his hands against the glass (which I wasn't thrilled about) to get a look inside. Maybe because it is a new model, but it appears to get more interest then I think an enclave would.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Tiestosteele: Glad you like your Traverse, that's what it's all about, choices. As for people interested in your car now, it's still new to the average person on the street. Enclaves have been around since the autoshow in 2006 when they had the concept, so it's not that new a design, as far as what people have seen. Just like the new Equinox, it's all new now, and turns heads, but that will fade over time. Basically the Enclave has got an unfair black cloud over it because of the "BUICK" label on it, people just don't think about a nice Buick, eventhough I have no problem with any past product as far as quality, and reliablilty, but the Enclave is the first design that's got me switching from Pontiac (have no choice now :angryfire:) to Buick for my next vehicles for a while. Chevy is still not out of the running, the new Equinox is really nice, and I'd love a new Camaro if the opportunity presents itself. (Malibu not bad either).

However, I have to say that the Traverse was HIGH on my list, just didn't want to wait for production to get going when I was ready in July last year.

tdk: you wrote: " Good luck on building a Traverse equipped just like your Enclave. I would bet its nearly impossible to match up." Actually, I did build it out, that's what my comparison was with the 2LT, it's very close to my CX Enclave. Just a few items, that I listed, are not on the Traverse, but most not deal breakers. At least Chevy allows an upper trim level with cloth. The Acadia could not be had, for 2009 anyway, with power liftgate, auto climate, and homelink on the SLE. (can you tell I've done quite a bit of researching this? I was all for the Acadia till I saw what the Enclave could have on it, all about value for dollar.)

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
09 Enclave,

Explain about the longer warranty Buick has ....

Thanks,

Bob

·
Registered
407 Posts
bobg1951chevy said:
09 Enclave,

Explain about the longer warranty Buick has ....

Thanks,

Bob
Buick's warranty is 4 years, 50,000 miles bumper to bumper, not the 3/36 like others.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
09Enclave said:
Buick's warranty is 4 years, 50,000 miles bumper to bumper, not the 3/36 like others.
Thanks for the info, the increase in the warranty is substancial.

Bob

·
Registered
11,570 Posts
are the buicks headlights HID or projectors?

·
Registered
407 Posts
rbarrios said:
are the buicks headlights HID or projectors?
HID, or sometimes referred to as Xenon. They are standard across the Enclave trim lines, for now anyway. Here's a photo of my headlight:

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
09Enclave said:
Edit: $35,240 for a Traverse, 2009 2LT with tow package, cloth seats, FWD. Basically same equipment at my Enclave. So, for me, I got HID lights, fog lights, dual exhaust, longer warranty, for basically $600 more dollars. That doesn't sound that much more TO ME, but it's still a little more than the Traverse.
That is assuming anyone actually paid 35,240 for a 2LT

·
Registered
407 Posts
intotheoh said:
That is assuming anyone actually paid 35,240 for a 2LT
True. To keep it simple I always talk MSRP, but if you want to talk actual price, then I paid the GMS price $32,572.65 plus fees, that's the "real" selling price I got. I'm not trying to say there's anything really better with the Enclave over the Traverse, they both do the same thing, and are very similar. Just, that for me....I look at total value for dollar, and the Enclave, in my opinion, has the best overall value for the dollar, if you want some of the extras like power liftgate, bluetooth phone, auto climate. However, if I wanted to get a Lambda without all the extras, I would buy a Traverse LS. I think that has a lot of value as is, without all the frills. Only thing that I wouldn't like would be the wheel covers, and the light gray seats, (I don't think you can get Ebony on the LS, haven't checked lately) And keep in mind, I'm talking about 2009 vs. 2009. For 2010, the Enclave's price has gone up, and there are some things that price out differently, to the tune of $1,500 more for a CX just like I have. The Chevy site has not updated to 2010 pricing, last time I checked, so there may be more price spread on the '10's.

EDIT: I just got done typing the above, and went to the chevy website, and today they have 2010 pricing. Here's what I notice different with the 2LT anyway, there is no option for leather, the 8-passenger seating doesn't give you the credit of $495, and some prices have gone up. For a 2LT with tow package and personal connectivity pkg, the MSRP is $ 35,965, before any incentives, etc. SO....this is interesting, MORE than my Enclave, but I understand it's a year newer...not completely apples to apples.

Also, sorry for kind of hijacking this thread with all this Enclave comparison stuff, I know it was originally talking about the Acadia.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Keeping in mind that style is very subjective (hello Nissan Cube owners) I really like how the Buick looks. I may have chosen the Enclave over the Traverse if it weren't for the Buick stigma of grandpa drivers. I also really don't care for style for styles sake...why are those stupid vents on the hood? They don't even work!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts