Traverse Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're very close to buying a 2010 Traverse 1LT (8 pass), but my wife and I are concerned about losing so much interior space that we have now with our Toyota Sienna minivan. We have 5 kids (and a big dog) and they seemed kind of squeezed - especially my three girls in the 2nd row - during the test drive despite the fact they are rather petite.

Has anyone switched from a minivan and had difficulty adjusting to less space? Also, does anyone have experience with the middle seat in the 2nd row on long trips?

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,880 Posts
RobS49 said:
We're very close to buying a 2010 Traverse 1LT (8 pass), but my wife and I are concerned about losing so much interior space that we have now with our Toyota Sienna minivan. We have 5 kids (and a big dog) and they seemed kind of squeezed - especially my three girls in the 2nd row - during the test drive despite the fact they are rather petite.

Has anyone switched from a minivan and had difficulty adjusting to less space? Also, does anyone have experience with the middle seat in the 2nd row on long trips?

Thanks.

If you're concerned now, I'll bet you won't be happy .....after the purchase. You have a lot of "family" to tote around, find something that fits or your drinking habits will certainly increase ! :beer:

Bob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
RobS49 said:
Has anyone switched from a minivan and had difficulty adjusting to less space? Also, does anyone have experience with the middle seat in the 2nd row on long trips?
We handed back our off-lease 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT with the 7pass StowNGo seating in July, then bought the 7pass Traverse in August. (We don't have the middle seat - we have the console)
We only have 2 boys, so the 3rd row is down almost always. With all our hockey gear, I'd say it's easily half the space of the minivan. However, the actual numbers aren't (these numbers are from July 09 - they may have changed for 2010);

Chevy Traverse 2LTToyota Sienna LEDodge Caravan SXT
Towing (kg)235915871633
Towing (lbs)520035003800
GCWR (kg)430935583175
GCWR (lbs)1025078276985
Cargo Volume (2nd & 3rd row up)6911240915
Cargo Volume (2nd row up, 3rd down)194826802367
Cargo Volume (2nd & 3rd row down)329642203967


Do I miss the extra space? Absolutely Yes. But our personal choice was extra towing capacity over interior cargo space. I suspect I won't be able to carry as much camping gear in the Traverse next summer - however I will be able to tow a larger travel trailer that will be able to hold the gear that doesn't fit in the Traverse - a good tradeoff for our family.

If you feel you don't need the extra towing - think long & hard before giving up the extra space. :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
407 Posts
Those must be extended length mini-vans, not the shorties..because our friend has a Venture, short, and it doesn't have much of any room behind the 3rd row. Not sure if cargo volume, as in cubic feet (or whatever) really tells the story. What's the dimension from the third row to the tailgate?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. One of the reasons we were thinking of switching vehicles was for the increased towing capacity. I added an aftermarket hitch to the Sienna and it strained to pull a fairly light popup camper.

I prefer to buy an American-made vehicle this time around and the Traverse seems like a good choice for 8 passengers. I don't want a full-size SUV and, if I stick with a minivan, the only real choice is another Sienna or Honda Odyssey.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,049 Posts
We had to make the same decision. We thought we would buy a minivan for sure. I saw an ad for the Traverse and had to try it out. I'm also 6' 9", so I needed more room than most minivans could offer.

We now have a 2010 1LT on order. We went with the 7 passenger seating, because with car seats installed, you can't slide the seats forward enough to get into the back. With 4 captains chairs, we can walk between the two chairs to access the rear bench.

We also wanted higher towing capacity. We were almost sold on the Ford Flex, which is even more roomy in the second row, but the Traverse has a higher tow rating. If you are looking for a bit more room, give the Flex a try.

Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,573 Posts
quantum--- I hope you ordered your Trav. with the TOW Package?

If not.. then simply adding a hitch will not increase tow capacity.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,049 Posts
Sure did! :)

2010 1LT
-Midnight Blue exterior/Ebony interior
-7 passenger
-HD Trailer Tow
-Remote Start

Can't wait to get it, but realistically I'm guessing not before April.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
RobS49 said:
Thanks for the replies. One of the reasons we were thinking of switching vehicles was for the increased towing capacity. I added an aftermarket hitch to the Sienna and it strained to pull a fairly light popup camper.

I prefer to buy an American-made vehicle this time around and the Traverse seems like a good choice for 8 passengers. I don't want a full-size SUV and, if I stick with a minivan, the only real choice is another Sienna or Honda Odyssey.
Wow - never had an issue towing a popup with our Dodge Grand Caravan (3800lb tow rating), and we towed one over 3000 kms around the East Coast in 2008, and 1000km in 2009. And it was loaded with our gear & fresh water.

American-made... is North American made okay? - I believe the Odyssey is now made in the US. I know it was made in Canada. The Dodge Caravan is made in Canada - don't know if it's made in the US. Where was the Sienna made?

My suggestion: Take a test drive...to your house. Back in the driveway, and load the back up with your normal vacation stuff. Depending on the boss's "constructive feedback", you'll have proof prior to purchase of what it'll be like to load it up on your next vacation.

Life's all about choices & trade-offs, isn't it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
551 Posts
My 2 cents...

1.) I would never buy a minivan, just cant stand them. However, I do not have 5 kids so I guess convenience is more important then how a car looks. I would imagine getting in and out of the thrid row would be eaiser in a minvan than the traverse.

2.) props on wanting to buy an American car. I would NEVER buy a foreign car and I dont care where it is made. Not only could I never own one, if one of my faimly or friends were to buy one I would never think of them the same.... I am from Detroit and proud of the big 3. Flame away.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,573 Posts
Quantum- good thing you ordered the Tow package- its a bargain for what it offers. (HD radiator, wiring etc)....

As for space in a manivan vs Traverse...
If you really need to tow- and carry stuff... then you may want to make sure you get/order the tow package- this will make the following easy to do.
Adding a Hitch mounted cargo rack. (and adding LED turn/parking/brake lights). The hitch should be able to take a nice load on it.
Here is an example of it on mine....Ive loaded up the hitch with way more on my Trailblazer... but in this image- just a small box.
By the way- this rack will take 4 of those boxes standing up) drawback is- you wouldnt be able to open tailgate until you arrive at destination. (on my trailblazer the glass opens up- but not on the Traverse).

side image- note I have added reflector tape to the rack (camera flash makes it visible).

shot from underneath- you can see the factory hitch- and the electrical connector for the lights.

in this shot- you can see the LED lamps also have a built in reflector- (as well as reflector on bumpers)
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,573 Posts
heres what the rack looks like fully loaded... nice and heavy. with the boxes standing up--- im on a roadtrip last xmas....
Im at a PEMEX gas station- somewhere in the Sonoran Desert. That rack proved to be very very Valuable to take grandma food and supplies for the coming year
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
407 Posts
Tiestosteele said:
My 2 cents...

1.) I would never buy a minivan, just cant stand them. However, I do not have 5 kids so I guess convenience is more important then how a car looks. I would imagine getting in and out of the thrid row would be eaiser in a minvan than the traverse.

2.) props on wanting to buy an American car. I would NEVER buy a foreign car and I dont care where it is made. Not only could I never own one, if one of my faimly or friends were to buy one I would never think of them the same.... I am from Detroit and proud of the big 3. Flame away.
Kind of how I feel too. When possible, support local, state, and country.

It was funny....at my daughter's school, the principal drove an Enclave, :blob: but then changed schools, or rather, moved up to a higher position in the school system, then we had a temporary principal, who drove an Acadia. :thumb: Now we have the new principal, and she drives a Mitsubishi 2 door car. :angryfire: Rumor has it that people don't like the new principal ::) (not because of the car, but it's funny, I already didn't like her when I saw she drove a Mitsubishi :eek:hno:) It's true, we shouldn't judge someone on their car choice, but it seems like you CAN tell a lot about a person by what they drive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,573 Posts
they just were not selling well anymore.
All those vehicles on that GMT-360 platform had lost sales.
Many also considered the platform outdated.
With fuel economy, recession, and the fall of SUV's-- many were turning to Crossovers.
For many the crossovers can do the same thing as the SUV (for those that never really towed etc)...
And Ill admit- my Traverse can so far do all that I asked of the Trailblazer.
Its to be seen how it feels when I have it fully loaded (including hitch cargo) when im on long trips.

I never did tow with my Trailblazer- but I did use it to carry cargo on top and back and inside on long trips.
The ATLAS 4200 vortec- inline 6.... pulled strong and purred on those steep mountain passes as I traveled some highways in Mexico---
just drop it into 3- and climb those mtn passes it did.... without a hiccup...
it was a beutiful sight to pass up other struggling vehicles (im also thinking many left theirs in Drive/overdrive) and never used their gears to climb....

But the Traverse does have its limitation in regards to towing...
I just never towed/ or will tow that much to test their limits.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,049 Posts
@rbarrios

Where did you get that cargo carrier? I am considering something similar until we buy an RV, which is likely a few years down the road. I'm just concerned about the cargo being exposed to the weather.

It would be handy if I pick up my sister and her family from the airport. With the Traverse we will have enough seating, but not enough room for those gigantic suitcases.

Regards,
Mark
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,880 Posts
nbat said:
Why did they quit makin those trailblazers. Still miss that lift up glass, etc. Oh welllllllllllllll
I miss my TrailBlazer very much. Although the Traverse is a nice vehicle, it is a 'wussy wagon" compared to the TrailBlazer.

Granted, the Traverse is roomier that the TrailBlazer, but my 4x4 TrailBlazer was more fuel efficient, more surefooted, more comfortable in the drivers seat ... and had more "standard" items, both the TrailBlazer and the Traverse are both LS models.

My TrailBlazer gave me 146,213 miles of trouble free driving, will not ever expect this Traverse to do the same.

Bob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
Yup, from my Trailblazer, I'm missing the opening rear glass, opening 3rd row side vents/windows, memory seats, and DIC settings. However, on the Traverse, I like my remote start, power liftgate, bluetooth, usb port, and back up camera. Can't have everything I guess.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,573 Posts
Quantum said:
@rbarrios

Where did you get that cargo carrier? I am considering something similar until we buy an RV, which is likely a few years down the road. I'm just concerned about the cargo being exposed to the weather.

It would be handy if I pick up my sister and her family from the airport. With the Traverse we will have enough seating, but not enough room for those gigantic suitcases.

Regards,
Mark
etrailer.com has them
http://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Hitch_Cargo_Carrier-sf-Flat_Carrier.aspx

If you have harbor freight around you- they have them for about 60-$80.
You can find them in multiple places- you just have to look... I think Ive seen them at times at wal mart.
The Harbor Freight one I have is excellent for the cheap price.

here is a how to...
http://www.traverseforum.com/index.php?topic=627.0
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top