Traverse Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at the rims on our LT yesterday. They just looked dirty with little spots. I washed them off and some of the spots weren't dirt spots. They were little pits, like they're rusting or something. You can feel the little recession when you rub your fingers over them.

Not sure why this is happening....

Joe

·
Registered
8 Posts
Although my rims do not currently show this problem it is a classic problem with most, if not all, aluminum alloy rims. The paint or clear coat on the rim fails and ultimately the adhesion fails and so begins the process of pitting or corrosion. You can have your rims removed and refinished although it may be more cost effective to buy new ones. If it isn't too bad you can slow the process by touching up the areas with clear coat touch up.

I typically notice this problem near the wheel weights after careless tire technicians remove or add weight improperly. Age of the rim is also a big contributor. My Dodge, ahem, after 15 years has recently, within the past three years, begun to corrode where the tire bead is such that the tire needs to be inflated weekly.

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
Alloy rims- the ones Ive had on our cars--- I always clean with Simple green.
Im not going to use any type of wheel cleaner in a can....
They usually say- test in a hidden spot...
no thanks.

I once had a neighbor see me cleaning my rims and said--- use this it cleans really good--- sprayed it on- and instantly started dissolving the clearcoat on the rim........ :eek:hno: :angryfire:

anyways, I continue to use simple greeen.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting. I've only had the car cleaned by hand, once, and he did clean the rims...with what i have no idea. It's also only 6 months old. I will have the dealer look at it and try and get them to do something about it next time I take it in.

Joe

·
Registered
113 Posts
mihalich said:
I was looking at the rims on our LT yesterday. They just looked dirty with little spots. I washed them off and some of the spots weren't dirt spots. They were little pits, like they're rusting or something. You can feel the little recession when you rub your fingers over them.

Joe
I haven't looked that close on mine yet, but probably a good idea....

I do believe it could be caused by braked dust.....I have a motorcycle with aluminum alloys, and if you don't clean the brake dust off regularly, especially if wet/moist, brake dust will eat at the alloy...so I am expecting the same thing with the Traverse...

Medman :beer:

·
Registered
48 Posts
This seems to be an increasingly common problem with alloy rims.

I had those on my Mazda replaced at 3.75 years because the finish was flaking off.

The chrome rims on my wife's Chrysler fail every 3.5 years--stop being able to hold air because of corrosion around the valve stem seats (check this area as well as the bead seat).

Owners of the 2009 Nissan Murano report wheel finish problems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
mihalich said:

Joe

1 - 7 of 7 Posts