Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a rule I typically don't buy the extended warranty unless the car is loaded to the gills with tech (LTZ) or it's a new model in its first year.

I did buy the GMPP for my Traverse for those reasons - also felt like I was getting it for a fair price...$1625 @ 84 mo/75K

Anyone else buy in?

·
Registered
72 Posts
As a rule I ALWAYs by the extended warranty for any vehicle purchase either new or from Hertz (have bought 3 from Hertz). Typically you'll hear this is where the dealer makes it's money, maybe, probably. I used to work for a GM/Buick dealer as a mechanic and even then would purchase the warranty. BUT ONLY BY THE GM WARRANTY, not some dealer provate insurance/warranty. It will be less headaches.

Here's my reasoning.

1. I take road trips and want peace of mind that I can pull into any dealer and say "Fix it!".
2. The current labor rate in the San Francisco Bay area is over $100 per hour and will probably increase over the next 7 years.
3. The vehicle has lots of gizmos I don't understand. I opened the hood this evening to show a neighbor and we both said "yep, it's there" now ad the GPS Nav, Radio, power this-n-that and $2.5K in repairs would go fast.

I paid $2,400 for 100K, 84mos bumper to bumper, no deductible. A $100 deductible would only have cost $2K. Four visits to the dealer over the next 7yrs would not be unheard of so I figured pay it upfront. I didn't try to bargain because I didn't do my homework and know where his starting point was.

But to those who have not purchase this warranty, I recommend it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Boatwrench said:
As a rule I ALWAYs by the extended warranty for any vehicle purchase either new or from Hertz (have bought 3 from Hertz). Typically you'll hear this is where the dealer makes it's money, maybe, probably. I used to work for a GM/Buick dealer as a mechanic and even then would purchase the warranty. BUT ONLY BY THE GM WARRANTY, not some dealer provate insurance/warranty. It will be less headaches.

Here's my reasoning.

1. I take road trips and want peace of mind that I can pull into any dealer and say "Fix it!".
2. The current labor rate in the San Francisco Bay area is over $100 per hour and will probably increase over the next 7 years.
3. The vehicle has lots of gizmos I don't understand. I opened the hood this evening to show a neighbor and we both said "yep, it's there" now ad the GPS Nav, Radio, power this-n-that and $2.5K in repairs would go fast.

I paid $2,400 for 100K, 84mos bumper to bumper, no deductible. A $100 deductible would only have cost $2K. Four visits to the dealer over the next 7yrs would not be unheard of so I figured pay it upfront. I didn't try to bargain because I didn't do my homework and know where his starting point was.

But to those who have not purchase this warranty, I recommend it.
Where does one go to buy the extended warranty, through Chevy or a 2nd or 3rd party off the internet?

thanks, dearsmiths

·
Registered
201 Posts
I purchased the GMPP after checking out some lesser price warranties I figured the best warranty is from the company who builds the vehicle. The price I paid was reflective of my dealer employee discount, but like anything can be negotiated.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dearsmiths - I wouldn't trust a website that sells the GMPP farther than I can throw it...its an unfounded belief, but I suspect some of you feel the same way.

You can buy the GMPP at any GM dealership and the price is highly negotiable. However DON'T let them sell you a third party warranty. The most popular one of those is the "Gold Option" that is underwritten by an insurance co. (Farmers I think). Its not accepted at every GM dealership and is more costly in most cases.

I would say a reasonable price for a 0 deductible 84 mo. GMPP is around 1500-2100 bucks

·
Registered
72 Posts
Dearsmiths this can't be stressed enough....ONLY BUY A GM WARRANTY. As stated not all dealers will accept 3rd party (insuranace company) warranty plans. Those off brand warranty plans generally reimburse you for the work done, after YOU pay the dealer for the repairs. The GM plan you pay $100 to the dealer at time of repair and that's it. GM & the GM dealer work out the transaction.

You buy the GMPP warranty at the GM dealership. I bought it at time of vehicle purchase so the cost of the plan could be packaged as part of the auto financing loan. I BELIEVE that as long as the vehicle is under 1yr old you can still purchase the GMPP. If you have taken delivery of your Traverse already and you wish to buy GMPP it is my recommendation you purchase from the dealer where the vehicle is getting it's preventative maintenance service. This place will already be familiar with your vehicle and you as a customer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks, my last GMC I bought the GMPP but not on the internet thru GMC. My problem is that configuration I want, Chevy has not built yet so I am trying to figure out what to get that I really want versus not, and see if its in their inventory.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Boatwrench said:
I BELIEVE that as long as the vehicle is under 1yr old you can still purchase the GMPP.
It's not that restrictive. I received a mailing this week from GM offering me the GM protection plan for my '07 Impala, which we've had for nearly two years. The offer had two prices, depending on whether the mileage is under 24,000 or under 36,000. So it may be that the original warranty period is the limit.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Another option to consider for some people

Personally, I hate the idea of extended extra-cost warranties. It's like the manufacturer is saying, 'we're not going to be responsible for the quality of our product -- so you'd better spend a couple of thousand dollars more for insurance -- and then will try to find loopholes to deny your claims whenever possible.'
That's one reason I love Hyundai, which used to make lousy cars, but implemented a 10-year warranty once they improved quality to back it up.
Anyway, the real point of this post is to remind those of you who are also GEICO policyholders that they have a much less costly extended warranty program that provides close to the same coverage as a typical one from a dealership.
The cost is often around only $60-$70 a year, though I don't know exactly what it is for a Traverse, and it is "exclusionary," insurance, which is good, because that means it covers everything except a few specifical exceptions -- typically just normal wear and tear (tires, oil changes, etc.)
However, the one big difference is a high $250 deductible, so it's not everyone's cup of tea.
Still, it's worth closely comparing the cost and the fine print with the GMPP, I'd say, to see which you think would be better for your own situation and peace of mind.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I paid $1000 for my Extended 100k bumper to bumper warranty w/ $0 Ded. It does not cover normal wear...tires brakes...etc. It also does not cover door handles or radio knobs... I can go to any ASE Mechanic to have a repair w/ no out of pocket charges.

·
Registered
72 Posts
stumpk said:
I paid $1000 for my Extended 100k bumper to bumper warranty w/ $0 Ded. It does not cover normal wear...tires brakes...etc. It also does not cover door handles or radio knobs... I can go to any ASE Mechanic to have a repair w/ no out of pocket charges.
but is that a GM Plan? or through third party insurance?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Our $1,300 5 yr/100K bumper-to-bumper is with GE. It has a "disappearing $100 deductible" which becomes $0 if we bring the car to the same dealership.

For the same money, they also offered 7 yr and 75K (or 80K; I can't remember exactly). I think other than tires and brake pads, it covers everything else.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I hope I can help since I work for GMPP. GMPP sells the plan to all dealers for a set amount; you can shop around for a better price. Within the first 12 months 12,000 miles you can purchase a GMPP for the "new" car price. After that, you will have up until the factory 3/36 to purchase the GMPP but at a higher cost. All the plans START at the date and mileage AT THE TIME OF PURCHASE. Extended vehicle service contracts are not for everybody. They are not the high-performance modders or for the person that hold onto their vehicle for a long time. I have seen some claims for the nav units that are $2000, so if you have an optioned out Traverse with all the tech stuff (i.e...back-up camera) they could come in handy. GMPP does not "look" for ways to deny a claim, but we will investigate to see if maintenance has been done or for physical damage caused a failure. GMPP is a highly regarded service contract that non-GM dealers and independent repair shops will accept. Once the factory warranty expires you can take the vehicle to ANY licensed repair shop for work. It is up to the shop if they want to be reimbursed or we can reimburse the plan holder.

I will be happy to answer your questions whenever I log into the site.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
stumpk said:
You'll certainly have out of pocket charges if your ASE mechainic decides he does not want to wait for his money from an extended warranty company. Mr ASE is not obligated to accept your terms of the payment of the extrended warranty company.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I ended up buying an extended warranty through Hendrick auto. I thought I was buying the actual GMPP, but turns out it's Hendrick autoguard. Has anyone had experience with this? I'm thinking about selling it back and going with the GMPP.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
brogers93 said:
I ended up buying an extended warranty through Hendrick auto. I thought I was buying the actual GMPP, but turns out it's Hendrick autoguard. Has anyone had experience with this? I'm thinking about selling it back and going with the GMPP.
Here's something to consider.

Hendricks warranty may be OK at a Hendricks dealer, but may not be worth a darn while you're on the road at XYZ Chevrolet in Bum**** Egypt. Business owners have the option to accept or deny payment by Hendrick. They may want your cash and let you go through the hoops to get reimbursed from Hendrick. :blob:

GMPP, on the other hand, is well known throughout the auto industry, your chances of a hassle diminish greatly with GMPP.

By the way, I have a "Hendricks" Traverse but without the Hendricks extended warranty.

bob

·
Registered
551 Posts
We bought the extended warranty thru GM 5 years 80,000 miles I believe. I was not going to but I am glad I did, being a first year model you never know what will happen. It was $1,210 after employee price with no tax. If I didnt get the warranty then they told me it would be $2,900 and I could buy it anytime before 3/36,000. I wrapped it into my payment, I think it made my payment go up like $18 a month or something.

I have an 09 LTZ, not sure if the price goes up or down depending on model?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Tiestosteele said:
We bought the extended warranty thru GM 5 years 80,000 miles I believe. I was not going to but I am glad I did, being a first year model you never know what will happen. It was $1,210 after employee price with no tax. If I didnt get the warranty then they told me it would be $2,900 and I could buy it anytime before 3/36,000. I wrapped it into my payment, I think it made my payment go up like $18 a month or something.

I have an 09 LTZ, not sure if the price goes up or down depending on model?
You should have waited 11 months 29 days or 11,999 miles to buy it. 5yr 75K miles is $895 for FWD. If you waited the year you could get 4yr(total of 5 yrs) for $880. At gmoutlet.com

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
84 mo / 75K / $0 Ded. $1275

1 - 20 of 21 Posts