Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you're a member who has already received your Traverse, please reply here and let us know. List your model, color and options you chose.

Thanks!
admin

·
Registered
37 Posts
OK, I got mine 11/1/09. FWD SLT2, Cyber Gray, gray leather seating the only factory option. (I also ordered the dealer-installed dual headrest DVD system, but they can't get the parts from GM so I'm waiting on getting that installed).

Bought it to replace a 2001 Chevy venture; very happy with it so far, with about 950 miles on it.

What I like, in no particular order:
-Ride is nice. Firmer than the Venture but not trucklike. Responsive and has good acceleration.
-Amenities are great. Like the steering wheel controls, power liftgate, courtesy lighting and options for controlling it, powered heated seats, tilt/telescoping steering wheel, garage door opener, etc.
-Bluetooth for phone works great. Paired it once with my cell phone, then as soon as I turn on the car, it automatically bonds with my cell. Was on the highway listening to the radio and was surprised to hear the music cut off and the phone ringing through the speakers. The caller can always tell when I'm on my bluetooth headset but didn't seem to notice he was on speaker with a rider in a moving car.
-Good storage in the center console although I wish it had come with a insert tray. Glove compartment is large, and the latched storage in the top of the dash is great for my EZ Pass (toll transponder) which works with the lid closed.
-MPG is about as advertised but I've only filled the tank twice so the data are not that reliable. The first tank (70/30 highway miles) I got either 17.9 (miles divided by gallons filled) or 20.9 (according to the DIC). But I topped off the tank and I doubt the dealer did when he filled it so my number is probably a little low. The second tank (about half highway) I got 18.83 while the DIC said 17.7, so who knows. Either way, it's better than I've been getting in my Venture.
-The DIC (Driver Information Center) is very useful, a big improvement over even the one in our 2007 Impala LTZ. It's easy to access the info and a lot of it is very convenient (like a display saying "Cruise set to XX MPH" every time you adjust it.

-Dislikes: Not really complaints but there are some things I wish were different:

-It'd be nice if the Bluetooth let me play music from my cell phone's (or GPS's) MP3 player through the car's stereo but they haven't implemented that feature.
-Getting the kids in and out of the back is not as convenient as in the minivan. I realized the reason for this is that the 2nd row captain's chairs are a fair amount wider than those in the minivan, which put three across in a space about 4 inches narrower than the Traverse. We keep the middle seat out of the minivan, leaving a nice aisle to the back. For the same reason, we passed on the rear center console but the space between the two Traverse seats is not as wide as the missing center seat in the Venture, so it seems a little more constricted. It's still easier for the kids than using the smart slide feature, so it's not a biggie but we just need to get used to it.
-The storage area behind the back seat is useful but a lot smaller than the one in our minivan. The in-floor compartment isn't all that deep but it's been good for hiding birthday presents from the kids.
-The DIC has a nice "range" feature, telling you how many miles you can drive on the remaining fuel. Unfortunately, at about 50 miles to go it just defaults to "low" -- it'd be nice if it didn't abandon you when you needed it most. On my first trip I was on the Pennsylvania Turnpike and calculated that the DIC's range would get me past the next service plaza, then it left me at "low" and I was trying to reconstruct the calculation as the needle edged past the E mark. I ended up putting 23.25 gallons in a tank with a stated capacity of 22 gallons. Nice to know there's a little reserve but hope not to cut it so close in the future!

·
Registered
63 Posts
The wife and I just bought our white LTZ AWD Traverse on Saturday in Delaware. We're from Pennsylvania. It had 258 miles on it as of last night. We traded our '00 Toyota 4-runner in and will be sadly missed. The runner was a GREAT vehicle and I hope the Traverse is half as good.

When we left Delaware the Traverse had 51 miles on it and we still averaged 19.4mpg cruising at 75mph. I'm sure it will get better.

Optoins:

-DVD player
-Sunroof

-Ride
-Smoothness of everything.
-Handling
-Looks
-Comfort
-Captin chairs
-Cargo room (almost doulbes our old 4-runner)
-Safety
-There's more just can think of them right now.
-Highbeams

Dislikes:

-The back end. Not a big fan of how empty it looks. Maybe the taillights are to small or something. Can't put my finger on it.
-No fog lights. I just like the look.
-The leather seats seem a tad shorter than the GMC Acadia's cloth seats. Approx. 1" I'm guessing.
-I wish the navigation was an option in the LTZ. I'm sure I will never use it. That $1200 would look better in my pocket.
-Blind spot mirror. I was not able to take a quick glance to check for vehicles. I had to really focus and driving on 95 that's not a good idea.
-Second to third gear shift is really drawn out when under load. I wonder if it's torque management?

All in all we love it. Outside of the above complaints (for which I was picking over) I am very pleased!!

·
Registered
417 Posts
I was almost an owner this week. Almost.

I backed out of purchasing an LT2 with Nav, DVD and Leather because I was led to believe from GM ads and mailing that I would receive an additional $3000 in incentives. But, I found out after visiting the dealer that I did not qualify for those after all. Add to that I can only use $1000 of the over $3000 I have on a GM card rebate, and it just didn't make sense to me to buy right now. GM's got to get with the game and stop playing favorites on who they offer incentives to. The Traverse would make my 6th GM purchase in a row, and they just don't seem to be showing the love...

To make it even more funny, I got the e-mail yesterday from GM asking me to call Congress to get them a bailout! HEY GM! HELP ME AND I'LL HELP YOU! Seems fair enough, right? :) :banghead:

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'd find a new dealership. You can get a good deal for sure.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Yep, just sent out a couple e-mails this morning to some dealers I haven't tried. Though, the thousands I was expecting originally and didn't get will be hard to come by unless Corporate GM ponies up some too. Trying to figure out how to make as much noise for GM to hear as I possibly can. ;D

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
GM is hardly in a position to be turning away legitimate customers over a rebate. Keep pitting those dealers against each other. Now, more than any other time in history, you should be able to get a great deal.

·
Registered
417 Posts
admin said:
GM is hardly in a position to be turning away legitimate customers over a rebate. Keep pitting those dealers against each other. Now, more than any other time in history, you should be able to get a great deal.
I agree 100%. I think there is a problem with the dealers being too disconnected from GM though. Maybe I can find one that knows how to rattle the cages at the top. Thanks for the thoughts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Narg said:
I agree 100%. I think there is a problem with the dealers being too disconnected from GM though. Maybe I can find one that knows how to rattle the cages at the top. Thanks for the thoughts.
You have to be realistic they are not going to give it to you for $20K they are not that desparate and you would not expect any other car company to sell below cost to you. It is new out with improved features (including the engine) and is not expensive for what it is (including the size and functionality). So pony up or wait for a year.

·
Registered
417 Posts
WOOOOT! GM is actually listening guys! I wrote them a letter telling them how I was not happy about their efforts to sell me a vehicle, even though the dealer experience was good so far, and they (they being GM corporate) call me back and made a very nice offer. I drove home my new Traverse today!!! :blob: :blob: :blob:

I got an AWD LT2 with Nav, DVD, Leather and trailering in white with gray interior. I'll post more about it later...

EDIT: OK, it's later... :)

What I love about the Trav:
- Ride, WOW what a ride. I did get the LT2, and not the LTZ specifically for 18" wheels. The 20" wheel just ride too rough for me.
- The auto-start feature is much improved over my wife's HHR. The seat heat and defrost was a shock when I tried remote start for the first time. It was about 40 degrees here, so that was low enough for the computer to have a little extra touch waiting for me when I opened the door. I haven't read enough in the owners manual yet to see if the air turns on when it's hot outside yet. Guess I need to wait for summer.
- Did I mention the ride?
- The backup cam is increadable. I love how it actually marks onscreen items that might be of concern as you back up.
- I haven't driven it enough to give the transmittion a good rating, but it does seem to shift effortlessly. I read some reviews stating the downshift was slow, but I didn't notice and like how it shifted. I think the shift might be programmable too, need to research that.
- Seats are very nice. They are a tad smaller than the seats that my Silverado had, but still quite good and supportive where needed. I was concerned about moving "down" in size on the Trav, but now I'm not sure it was a needed concern. I'm very pleased.
- I love the fish eye mirrors.
- Let me tell you about the ride... :)

Small things so far...
- The stearing wheel seem "thin". Consider that I did hand sew a leather wrap on my Silverado, so I'm used to a thick stearing wheel. And my wife's HHR was thick from the factory (I guess they were trying be "sporty" on the HHR). I know the stearing wheel is already leather wrapped, but I may add another to give it some bulk so it's easier to hold on to while driving. At least that's fixable.
- Visual ability is obviously going to be less than my silverado. The fish eye's help, and so does the back up cam. It'll just take getting used to.
- I had problems programming voice commands on the nav radio. Gave up after a dozen tries. Will need to ask the dealer shop about that one...

Not bad, not good, but worth noting.
- Wow there are a lot of buttons. Nice to have control, but will take a while to learn all of them.
- I'm used to AWD vehicles that have wheel drive selection. The Traverse doesn't, it's AWD all the time. Might have gained back the 1 MPG difference if it did have the ability.
- Back 2 rows of seats seem "light weight" Then again, I'm sure that helps save fuel. My kiddo will be the 99% user of these seats anyway, and she loves them so far.
- Back end styling is not bad, but not that great either. I'll agree with a lot of folks that complain about the back end. But what do I care, I'm looking foward most of the time :)

I'll post more after I put a few miles on it...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Glad to see you bought one. Congrats!!! I know my wife is in love with the car. I can't imagine the ride being better with the 18". NICE to hear!! I am very pleased with the ride and the 20"ers. I gree about the voice command. When I was linking our phones to the car for the bluetooth I was tring to call out with voice commands and it was very very frustating!! I'm sure that was more so the phone than the car. I was not aware the seats would start heating and the defrost would start when using the remote start. I really have to read the owners manual.

As for the AWD, my wife told me she missed the 4-runner for the first time the other day when we had messy roads going to work. She said she knew what she had and she knew the 4-runner was in FWD when needed, and with the Traverse she didn't feel as safe because of not knowing for sure if the AWD was working. I told her when we first got the Traverse to be very careful for that reason. The 4-runner was great in bad weather. I hope the Traverse can live up to the Toyota. My Silverado sure as **** can't and that's a fact!!!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Thanks Spade, yep, my Silverado was a parking spot sitter in bad weather. 300 horses on zero weighted down rear wheels was pretty worthless when it's even slightly slippery. I've driven trucks all my life and kind of used to it, but the abundant power of that Silverado made it even worse. Can't wait to try out the Trav in icy weather. Long range forcasts don't show any good possibility for a month so I'll have plenty of time to get used to the vehicle before I need to be in tune with driving it in adverse conditions at least. That auto-start heat thing is going to spoil me rotten though! :)

I've also noticed a lot of "improvements" in GM vehicle on the Trav. One that I find very pleasing, for personal reasons, is the overhead center console light. Back when we purhcased an HHR for my wife, it too was very new to the Chevy line-up. Both of us participated in an forum like this one, but for HHR owners. We talked in depth to a lot of other owners about what we liked and dis-liked on the HHR. One dis-like was the center console light that was in the ceiling pointing down. On the HHR the "barrel" that holds the light is the same bright plastic color, so the white light is unfortuantely very visible as it reflected off the sides of the holding barrel. It doesn't bug me much, but I can see where it could bother others easily. I posted an idea on the forum that maybe the light holder could have a black barrel to hold it so it would be harder to see with less reflection. WOW! GM does listen. The light in the Traverse has a black outline holder so that it's almost impossible to see in the ceiling, yet highlights the console quite well. They also made it amber colored to make it more pleasing. For those that argue GM does not listen to it's customers, I have proof they do! That gave me a good feeling inside.

I practiced a little with the voice stuff, and recorded some nav points. It seems to work a lot better with the engine off when training. But the dialer worked quite well while traveling. I am used to voice recognizers, so I've trained myself how to talk for better results. I guess the best suggestion is to talk slowly, firmly and enunciate a little more, not too much, but just a little more. After a bit of practice you'll get the hang of it. I've helped a few friends with new Fords, and I think the Microsoft built voice system in Fords is better, but still not perfect. I do wish GM had the USB plug for iPods like Ford though, rather than the old-fashion audio input for them. Which BTW, I think is stupidly placed at the top of the radio rather than the bottom where it would be out of the way.

So far though, thoroughly enjoying the Trav!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Glad to hear you got your Traverse, please keep us upto date with your experiences as I am thinking of buying in the new year. Probably an LT1 - how much discount did you get from MSRP?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I got about 3700 off the sticker.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Spade said:
I got about 3700 off the sticker.
Off the MRSP or the red tag price? I know ther eia $1000 conquest or loyalty bonus, $750 bonus cash and then some rebates for GM lease customers. Any other movement on the red tag price?

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
You guys are lucky.
I am looking forward to buying a new Traverse. Im in California.. and plan on getting the CA edition (LT1 or LT2 that comes with the 20 inch and dual exhaust)....
Im in Los Angeles-- and I have yet to see one on the road........ But I saw 1 on a new delivery trailer...... 1 !
(Though I have seen about 5 trailers full of the Buick version-- nothing but-- all in the metallic brown).
Ive been looking at the Traverse as a family vehicle. I dont have a family yet- Im not even married... but that will change within the year I think.......
I currently have an 03 Trailblazer with 134,000 miles and the Inline 6 engine. This engine still idles like new. Full of power etc..... I even do 10,000 -11,000 mile oil changes using the DIC. (this engine takes 7 quarts of oil- and I use regular oil).
Im waiting for it to 'die' to give me a good reason to go down and buy one....
But this Trailblazer just keeps going. As preventative maintenance I just changed the factory fuel pump and radiator hoses.... I like to run my cars into the 150,000 + range before I sell them...
I really hope to see good reviews from you owners..... Cant wait to get mine...

·
Registered
63 Posts
guyatherton said:
Off the MRSP or the red tag price? I know ther eia $1000 conquest or loyalty bonus, $750 bonus cash and then some rebates for GM lease customers. Any other movement on the red tag price?
Off the MSRP. I wish it was off of the Red Tag price.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I wouldn't say lucky, just persistent with GM on their pricing policies... :) Keep an eye open for more pricing breaks as the year rolls around...

I worked hard to be persistent, but very friendly and nice to both my dealership and to GM in the letters and e-mails I blanketed them with last week. When I walked into the dealership the day I purchased the Trav, the owner of the dealership and a crowd of other salesmen were there to see the guy that got GM to call them direct and tell them "Sell this SUV to this guy at the price he asked for." :angel: ;D

That inline 6 engine is the bomb. I was previously looking at a Hummer H3, but the inline 5 didn't quite do it for me. If they'd put the inline 6 in the H3 I'd probably be driving that by now. But the 3.6L V6 in the Traverse is a marvel of modern engine building too. I expect it to be a true performer for the life of my Traverse. In the 90's a lot of publications bashed GM for continual use of pushrod engine designs, while others were going to overhead cams. Time has shown GM to be the smarter of all of them. Better gas milage, better performance, and better life of all their engines since the 90's.

The 3.6L is actually identical to their 4.8L V8, minus 2 cylinders. I've always found it interesting that custom car builders love the GM engines over most others. At least from what I read and hear.

And, um, you'll be waiting a long time for your Trailblazer to "die" ;)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Just look at the Corvette. Granted it's a huge engine in a very lite weight car but the thing gets 31-33mpg in the standard C6 vette and the C6 Z06 will get 28mpg pushing out a killer 505hp. It pisses me off because I'm a mustang guy but the facts are the facts and you can not beat that.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts