Traverse Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a 2021 Traverse Braunability side-entry wheelchair conversion. Anyone else on here with one? It would be good to share experiences with the quirks!

·
Registered
934 Posts
Are there forums for mobility vehicles? I haven't seen any on this forum in 3 years.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't found any mobility vehicle forums. That's why I came here.

This is the first year the Traverse is available for this conversion. They did the Ford Explorer for a few years, but the Traverse has more room in it.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Our 2017 traverse has been converted to a passager mobility vehicle. I had the option to buy a Grand Caravan that can be converted to the one pictured above but we decided to go with the Bruno seat instead. This seat is totally powered to turn and go totally outside the vehicle and lowered to the same height as the wheelchair seat. All the system is programmed and it is a matter of a few minutes to do the transfer. The wheel chair can be put in the rear of the Traverse trunk. The second row seat can stay as it is.

Attachments

Reactions: cintocrunch

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Our 2017 traverse has been converted to a passager mobility vehicle. I had the option to buy a Grand Caravan that can be converted to the one pictured above but we decided to go with the Bruno seat instead. This seat is totally powered to turn and go totally outside the vehicle and lowered to the same height as the wheelchair seat. All the system is programmed and it is a matter of a few minutes to do the transfer. The wheel chair can be put in the rear of the Traverse trunk. The second row seat can stay as it is.
Nice!

My son uses a powerchair, so we went with the full floor lower. We wanted the ability for him to either ride second row (when both parents are there) or shotgun (when it is just one of us). Add to that fact that we REALLY wanted to avoid the minivan option. We made it through life with kids/toddlers/ and teens without a minivan, and felt a bit ripped off to have to buy one for a wheelchair.

So far we're loving the Traverse. It's a big beast to get used to driving, but it's not a minivan!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've always been curious about those Braun conversions. Is the front drivers seat totally removed and then the wheelchair slides and locks in place where the driver's seat normally goes? And do you lose the center console?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I've always been curious about those Braun conversions. Is the front drivers seat totally removed and then the wheelchair slides and locks in place where the driver's seat normally goes? And do you lose the center console?
From what I can see...
  • they lift the whole vehicle about 5 inches
  • they cut out the floor and drop it about a foot from firewall to just under the front of the 3rd row seat
  • they drop the engine so drivetrain stays in line
  • a ramp is in floor, and out of the way
  • the rear corner can kneel to lower the ramp angle
  • the side door with the ramp is converted to a power sliding door
  • both rear door are extended to be taller to cover the new opening space
  • center console is removed from floor, and a much smaller one is attached to the dash for the shifter and controls
  • each front seat gets installed on a base that brings them back up to regular height (including foot space)
  • each front seat platform has a quick disconnect for wiring (power seats and airbags)
  • each front seat platform has a quick release foot pedal that disconnects the seat from the floor and lowers wheels on it
  • you just roll the seat down the ramp and out when not in use
  • there are l-track mount points for standard wheelchair tie down available once the seat is out

It's pretty intense. But you could have a wheelchair driver, passenger, or in the left or right mid position. Or various combinations thereof. As long as not everyone was in a big heavy powerchair, I can see there being space for 4 wheelchairs, and still be able to put 3 kids in the back row bench. Not comfortably for a long trip, but still...

·
Registered
2020 Traverse LT
54 Posts
Sorry to hear about those who have disabilities and require rides like this. I have not seen much on these types of vehicles, but after reading this, I have a new respect for the mobility vehicles. I'm happy to see the Traverse can be converted. Kudos to those who have taken time to design and build these units.

·
Registered
5 Posts
From what I can see...
  • they lift the whole vehicle about 5 inches
  • they cut out the floor and drop it about a foot from firewall to just under the front of the 3rd row seat
  • they drop the engine so drivetrain stays in line
  • a ramp is in floor, and out of the way
  • the rear corner can kneel to lower the ramp angle
  • the side door with the ramp is converted to a power sliding door
  • both rear door are extended to be taller to cover the new opening space
  • center console is removed from floor, and a much smaller one is attached to the dash for the shifter and controls
  • each front seat gets installed on a base that brings them back up to regular height (including foot space)
  • each front seat platform has a quick disconnect for wiring (power seats and airbags)
  • each front seat platform has a quick release foot pedal that disconnects the seat from the floor and lowers wheels on it
  • you just roll the seat down the ramp and out when not in use
  • there are l-track mount points for standard wheelchair tie down available once the seat is out

It's pretty intense. But you could have a wheelchair driver, passenger, or in the left or right mid position. Or various combinations thereof. As long as not everyone was in a big heavy powerchair, I can see there being space for 4 wheelchairs, and still be able to put 3 kids in the back row bench. Not comfortably for a long trip, but still...
They do not drop the engine. Front wheel drive is a requirement so they don't have this drive train problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes, I just bought a Braunability 2020 Traverse 3LT leather. I have to say, I am not happy with my purchase. I don't know if it is the local Braun group or just my own issues, but for the money that I paid out of pocket (no assistance..ie, rehab or VA) I can't believe the hurdles. They promised that it was same features as the 2021 they had on the lot minus a sunroof. They shipped it to CA and not until they put the new platform for the captain chair (I drive with pedal extensions) did I realize that I was missing many of the features. I asked for the window sticker and they said they don't have one. They credited me $1500, but my intent was to have a fully loaded SUV. My A/C has stopped working twice, and this weekend, when out at a friend's house, my captain's chair seized and I was stuck. My chair was back too far to reach the pedals. Thankfully, my friend was able to get it to move forward so I could get home. I bought it 2 months ago and have only had a working SUV for maybe 2 weeks. Right now I am waiting for them to fix the chair. Once again, car less until they get to it.

They are a pretty SUV and I love not having to drive a minivan, but I feel like I found "less than" mechanics doing the conversion. Hopefully, you have better experiences!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts